How To Get Scratches Out of Wood Floor?

Andrew C

Had some lizards in the apartment and thought they'd run under the couch. While moving the couch around I accidentally scratched the hard wood floors. They aren't deep scratches, they are light and seem to have only scrapped the glossy finish on the top.

Anyone know where I can go to buy some Wood Floor Scratch Remover ? I am in the Nimman area of Chiang Mai

If not, should I tell my landlord about the scratch or just leave it there?

AFAIK, the only way to remove scratches from wood is to sand them out. If the scratches are only in the top sealer it may be possible to disguise them to some extent, but I don't know how successful those scratch remover products are. You may be able to order something on line, either from Lazada or Ebay. I guess it will depend on how well the product works if you tell your landlord or not.

Don't tell, instead find an old piece of wood outside infested with wood termites. Take this back to your apartment and put this under your sofa.
After a month call your landlord and complain of the infestation. Ask for a rent reduction, stir up the neighbours, gossip about the termites and voila, a problem solved with cash in hand to go shopping!

On 10/22/2016 at 8:49 PM, Wilsonandson said:

Don't tell, instead find an old piece of wood outside infested with wood termites. Take this back to your apartment and put this under your sofa.
After a month call your landlord and complain of the infestation. Ask for a rent reduction, stir up the neighbours, gossip about the termites and voila, a problem solved with cash in hand to go shopping!

you seem like a nice bloke, i would not like to rent a property to you.

I just started a black list of people I will not rent out to, and congratulations you are at the top.

I had a hardwood floor in Germany and my carpenter told me the only way was to slightly sand the scratches and see what oiling them with the same stuff used for caring to the flooring anyway would do. Obviously assuming the wood is oiled, not waxed. Otherwise you could get putty from the hardware store and mix it to the best to your ability to fill in those scratches matching grain and colour, plane the spots with very fine sanding paper (on a plane piece of cork or rubber, never use your fingers!), oil or wax over it, and hope for the best.

On the other hand, glossy finish sound like either waxed or lacquered. Maybe just polish with a soft cloth and the appropriate stuff for maintaining that sort of parquet. Scratches are judged by looking straight onto them, not at a swallow angle against the light, that way there would not be a parquet in the world that would look perfect!

Besides, keep in mind your rent includes slow deterioration of the property and the fixtures, and the odd scratch in the parquet could constitute "wear and tear" if it's not too bad and somehow commensurate with the duration of your tenancy.

Do NOT go sanding the floor!

This will only set in motion a job you wish you never started .

Buy a very small can of 'wood' furniture polish , or borrow a smidgen if somebody has some.

Rub it into the scratches and leave a couple hours , then buff off.

You may have to repeat ...over time you wont see the marks.

BUT , buy or acquire some small squares of carpet or furniture foot cups now to place under the sofa legs  so it wont happen again...

I am an ex floorlayer of many years. Providing the scratches are not too deep, the best way to tackle this is to lightly rub over by hand, the whole floor with medium wire wool or 100 grit sandpaper. Thoroughly sweep the floor clean and apply one coat of polyurethane or similar sealant. This is the only way you will never see the scratches again.

Sounds like a prohibitive effort. But talking of sanding the whole thing: parquet can be sanded several times, depending on the quality and thickness of the top layer, and usually will be sanded for the first time after 10 years, depending on signs of use, when the wood has settled. So, depending on the exact situation, maybe don't bother too much, buff the spots and leave it.

Sanding is last resort...

Here, this is where you start and easy to try for a few bucks;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIBERON-WAX-FILLER-STICK-WOOD-REPAIR-ALL-COLOURS-FIX-FURNITURE-CRACKS-SPLITS-50G-/161297382889

Once applied will hardly see them, I have used over the years on wood furniture with great results, obviously only way to remove the scratch completely from wood is to strip and sand back but this is a bit OTT for just one scratch ( and light as op described it to top layer of sealer/varnish etc) so wax crayons colour matched first and will probably be all tickety-boo

there are some idiots on this forum

• 8 months later...