Tourist visa denied

Recently I was denied a tourist visa after applying in Singapore. I've been staying in Thailand off and on for nearly three years now on only tourist visas, so I expected this to happen at some point.

I'm wondering, because I've been denied a tourist visa by one consulate, when I apply at another consulate will there be some sort of record noting the denial, and can I expect such a notation to lessen my chances of getting a tourist visa hereafter?

Thanks for any experience anyone can pass along.

Don't know but I seriously doubt that they are going to put you on any list.  I have heard people being advised to wait 30 days before they apply again after multi tourist visas.  Perhaps it would be a good time to check into changing visa class if you can or living some place else (at least part time)?

interesting

i have been doing my runs to sing for the last couple years...must have 5-6 visas in there by now and never any problem.  at least 3 are back to back sing T visas.  

curious, what's your nationality?

maybe change your visa catagory (if applicable) or get a clean passport.  also, sing counselate is the most sitckler for details and following the rules of any that i know of in se asia.  cannot get multi-entry T visas there but can at most other embassys and counsulates.

Thanks for responses lopburi3 and bangkokman.

Bangkokman, nationality is USA.

Was subjected to an interview in Singapore. And although it's of course standard for embassy/consulate staff to give off the curt, no-nonsense manner, my interviewer seemed unusually hostile and accusatory. Maybe just my bad luck that day.

You mentioned changing visa class. Let me ask you or anyone else if I may, what Thai visa possibilities are open to the self-employed foreigner in Thailand when the work performed is in no way connected to Thailand. The work originates from the USA and I am paid by a USA company; however, the work can be done anywhere. If one engages in such work for an indefinite amount of time in Thailand, what would one's status be according to Thai immigration law? Is this no different from owing a business in Thailand, for work is work?

Thanks again

Will let someone with business experience try to answer your questions as I have never worked and would not want to give invalid advise.  I suspect that the one stop office on Ratchada might be a good place to ask about various options if you were willing to pay any required tax here.  Believe reception would not be as harsh as Singapore Embassy can be.

Think your best bet at this time is to get a Non - immigration "O" visa. You need a sponsor who will write the invitation letter and provide their shareholder list, tax returns etc.  Our company does it for qualified people interested in possibly acquiring a business. We have found if the applicant applies in their home country with our invite, they normally get a year visa. Here in SE Asia, it's potluck. Singapore for sure just gives 3 months.

In your case, I would reco a trip to Brisbane or the USA will serve your purpose for a multi entry visa. If your USA company wants you to do due diligence on the possibly of acquiring a company and getting legal. We would probably do the invite letter as well. Our lawyer fee is 7,500 for all the paperwork. Hope this helps with your question on getting legal and back into Thailand.

Thanks for responses lopburi3 and bangkokman.

Bangkokman, nationality is USA.

Was subjected to an interview in Singapore. And although it's of course standard for embassy/consulate staff to give off the curt, no-nonsense manner, my interviewer seemed unusually hostile and accusatory. Maybe just my bad luck that day.

You mentioned changing visa class. Let me ask you or anyone else if I may, what Thai visa possibilities are open to the self-employed foreigner in Thailand when the work performed is in no way connected to Thailand. The work originates from the USA and I am paid by a USA company; however, the work can be done anywhere. If one engages in such work for an indefinite amount of time in Thailand, what would one's status be according to Thai immigration law? Is this no different from owing a business in Thailand, for work is work?

Thanks again

As am American, the simplest, surest way to get a non-im multiple-entry visa good for one year, just fill out the basic application, send $50 and your passport to either the Denver or New Orleans consulate...Never a hassle in 3 years.

Don't trust any visa service.

what Thai visa possibilities are open to the self-employed foreigner in Thailand when the work performed is in no way connected to Thailand. The work originates from the USA and I am paid by a USA company; however, the work can be done anywhere. If one engages in such work for an indefinite amount of time in Thailand, what would one's status be according to Thai immigration law? Is this no different from owing a business in Thailand, for work is work?

I worked that way for a U.S. company for over two years.  At first, I came to Thailand on a class B (business) visa.  I had my boss (in the U.S.) write a letter saying I was being sent to Thailand for business purposes.  The letter indicated my length of tenure and salary.  I then sent this letter along with my class B visa application to the Thai consulate in Los Angeles.  Lo and behold, my passport came back with a shiny new class B visa in it.

:o

According to what I've read about Thai laws, one should have a work permit.  However, I called the work permit office to inquire and they didn't even know how to begin to deal with my situation, so they said forget it.  I believe primarily because there's no "establishment" existing in Thailand that I work for -- I'm just here by myself and work at home.  I don't know that the one stop office would issue a work permit for this case.  If anyone out there actually was able to get a work permit for this situation, I'd love to hear about it.  Please check out this thread for more information.

Chuck

Nonperson, as your work is not related to Thailand, it doesn't make sence to me to open a company here.

Don't let them waste your money.

Guess you are a tax payer in the US, and more than half of a year you're living in Thailand?

Try to find out if it's not possible for you also, to pay your tax in Thailand. Most probably it's even less than in the US,

and it would definately make you legal in Thailand!

I met a german guy, he is having a computer company in germany, but living more than half a year in Thailand and it's working fine for him. He pay's less tax!   :o

Most countries deem you to be a non resident if you spend more than 6 months out...the US wants tax irrespective. It

is worthwhile getting formal advice. The Thai's are very likely to deem you a working person in Thailand too. Cover your ass

why oh why would a Non O visa be this guys salvation

Tourist Visa... is out.  

" B" Visa: In order to get a  ' B" visa, he would need a company to sponsor him for a work permit.  Highly unlikely to get a Thai company to sponsor him if he was not going to work for them. Perhaps his corp in the USA could write a letter, it may work.

A multi-entry " O" Visa however would work.  The sponsor invitation letter does not need to talk about letter of employment in this case. If he’s looking to start a business or buy one, the "O" visa is the correct one to apply for.  If he buys the job by acquiring a business, a “B" visa comes a year later when the “O" visa has expired. In the meantime he can use the "O" visa when applying for the work permit. He has a whole year to be looking at acquiring a  business. With the “O" visa he has no problem going in or out however he must leave on a visa run every 90 days, crossing the boarder and coming back. No need to go to the Consulate after getting the visa the first time.

Sunbelt,

Not sure that NON-O is the correct visa type for "looking to start a business or buy one". In my opinion it should defintively be a NON-B.

The NON-O visas are for personal/marriage/family/retirement reasons.

Dr Pat Pong, the guru, what u think?

George ...as ever, you are correct...there are circumstances for Non O this isn't one of 'em     :o

Hi Guys,

I understand what you're saying but the "O" Visa is what the Consulates have been giving our clients.  We just ask for an multi-entry non-immigrant visa and they stamp it "O" I think one person did get an " B" but they have given almost exclusive "O " ...  

From the Thai Consulate..

For the purpose of conducting business in Thailand (not including employment), the visa applicant must include with his or her visa application any such documentation the Consulate deems necessary for consideration of the visa application which includes the following:

1. An original letter of invitation on company letterhead from the business host in Thailand;

2. A copy of the host's Registration of Trade which states the amount of capital investment which is issued by the Department of Commercial Registration with certification by the Department not more than six months earlier;

3. Documentation of the payment of taxes by the business host of the past two years;

4. Any documents that prove you are  traveling for business purposes;

This however is required for an " B" visa

II.  For the purpose of employment in Thailand, the applicant must receive approval from the Ministry concerned , this means that the employer of the applicant must first apply ( by Form WP3) for and receive approval for the applicant's employment through the Alien Occupational Control Division, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare, Mit-Maitree Road, Dindaeng, Bangkok 10400 - Tel. (662) 617-6578 or 617-6587 / Fax (662) 617-6576, in case of up-country the employer apply through the District Office or the Province Office , Once the approval has been granted, the applicant would then attach  this approval to his or her visa application and submit it to the Consulate.

This is from a e-mail just this past Friday...

Subject: B Visa

Hi,

I need your help. Maybe today was my first "welcome to Thailand".  I went to the Thai consulate to apply for my visa.  They would not even process the package.  They claim I need the following to apply:

Letter from department of employment about work permit

She also rejected the papers in the package from the restaurant and said that the company stamp and signature was not valid.  She needs papers with the original blue stamps from the government agencies.  If they are keeping the originals there then needs to be a certified copy blue stamp also from the issuing or government office.

I tried to explain that I would be evaluating this business and then when I purchased a company the work permit would be applied for under that company.  She gave me a nice smile and handed all of the papers back and pointed at the note for the things I mentioned above.

It seems like the visa process is always a series of circles and you need something from the future before you can get what you need in the present.

Please advise.

------------------------------------------

This from a client who had gotten the letter from the seller and not from us. Sorry to say it had said "B" visa. The catagory "O" visa works better as he does not need the letter of employment. I understand most "O" visas are married to a Thai, dependent, retirement. But they do issue other activities (Category "O") visas for researching businesses. This has happen time and time again for our clients. I feel it's because their is no mention of employment and an "B" visa requires that.

In Australia Europe  USA  the requirements for a  B   visa are much less stringent than it is SEA. Sunbelt indicates that the Thai Consulate his firm deals with, prefers to issue O visa's. I won't argue the toss, but I contend that an O is inappropriate for business purposes. I'll take some advice from Immigration and advise the forum later.

Dr_Pat_Pong,

Actually the e-mail was from a person in  Los Angeles, Calif. who was told he needed a letter from the Department of Employment about an work permit for a "B" visa and blue stamps. So even the USA can be tough.  

I heard of another situation in Italy with them asking for orginal blue stamps for the visa. Anybody else hear of this? Think it boils down to a case by case situation how tough they want to make your life.