Used guitar shop?

Obumbration

Hi all.

I moved to pattaya recently. However I really miss playing guitar which i didn't bring here. Is there any used guitar shop in pattaya?

The reason i want used is because im kinda low on cash at the moment. But mostly I think its wasteful to buy a new one when a used one is equally good.

I'm lookin for electric guitar and amp!

Not seen a large selection of used guitars at the above shop, loads of small amps,  yes.   maybe a room out back has them ?

not been in for a few months.

You could try the the pawn shops, one on Pattaya Thai heading towards Sukhumvet, past 3 road on the right, have a lot of used electric guitars there and a few acoustics.

But you will need to haggle a lot, they are over priced, i think, but maybe get a good deal.

be careful in any second-hand shops about copy guitars, !!!!!!!! loads out there with brand name on them,  but if plays good,  why not.

also well over priced, but worth  a look around town if your up for haggling.

Try Baht and sold, some times stuff on there.

I know you said you don't want new,  but Lazada on line has an ok selection of cheap ish stuff. I bought an Epihone acoustic on there a few years back,  great guitar for a small price.

Edited by onemorechang

The shop on the left after the new Toyota showroom on Sukhumvit and just before HueYai traffic lights that has a giant guitar standing by the entrance, has maybe 300 to 500 used acoustic and electric guitars hanging on the end wall, they also have all manner of amps speakers,  pianos, electric organs thousands of used golf clubs and a lot of other very strange things.  Even if you don't find a guitar you like its worth a visit just to look at all the other strange stuff in there as well. 

2 hours ago, NightRider70 said:

Suriya Music Art has many used guitars and amps.

Ah yes forgot about that new place. same company as

the one near Lotus in jomtiem i think.

but was expensive last time i looked 1 year ago.

but  goosd walk round just to look at stuff

as Rimmer says.

Edited by onemorechang

Yep, same owners and a huge selection. Could spend hours there looking at their stuff. 

If you just want to get started and are on  a budget, almost every pawn shop in town has some guitars for cheap. No '54 Teles, but they are good enough to get going again. 

I used to go to Suriya (end of teppasit road) a lot and started to build up a relationship with them but last time I went there the "accountant" behind the till who did not realise that I understood thai started telling the shop assistants to rip me off because I was farang.

Last time I went there.

They are expensive though but I suspect a lot of it is because the import duties are so high. I do not want recommend them for their integrity but the selection is ok. Not as much as you would expect for one of the very few music shops in such a big town

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

11 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

I used to go to Suriya (end of teppasit road) a lot and started to build up a relationship with them but last time I went there the "accountant" behind the till who did not realise that I understood thai started telling the shop assistants to rip me off because I was farang.

Last time I went there.

They are expensive though but I suspect a lot of it is because the import duties are so high. I do not want recommend them for their integrity but the selection is ok. Not as much as you would expect for one of the very few music shops in such a big town

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Ha Ha,   Stay well away from the two glass cases !!!!!!!!!!!!

or go to ATM first, :ohmy:

17 minutes ago, raro said:

Import duties on musical instruments is 10% in Thailand. If the goods come from China (which many of their gear does), there are no duties because of the Thai-Chinese free trade agreement. 

Their Martins when they have one are way more expensive than you can buy in US but I guess CF Martin does not have a factory in China :smile: 

On 10/24/2016 at 6:28 AM, raro said:

Import duties on musical instruments is 10% in Thailand. If the goods come from China (which many of their gear does), there are no duties because of the Thai-Chinese free trade agreement. 

The shipping charges are high also. I helped a friend of ours,  who plays bass, get an instrument from China. Went to Laem Chabang with him. Definitely an import charge! Wifey negotiated hard. 5555

On 24/10/2016 at 11:22 AM, raro said:

Yep, same owners and a huge selection. Could spend hours there looking at their stuff. 

If you just want to get started and are on  a budget, almost every pawn shop in town has some guitars for cheap. No '54 Teles, but they are good enough to get going again. 

I know a guy called Noi ,   he has a 54 Telelaster  for sale

at 400,000 baht.   can do a deal 2 for 1 special price. 

Please Pm me and i can sort it out.

He also so has a 66  Strapocaster for 200,000 baht     no offers. :thumbsup:

Edited by onemorechang

7 hours ago, Obumbration said:

Aweome. Thanks for the answer guys. Ill go look around town for sure. :)

What is your budget? There's a musicians forum for pattaya and I can ask if someone has an instrument for sale. One guy makes custom acoustics. They are incredible for about 20, 000B or so.

Also,  try craigslist.com. pretty decent selection there.

There seems to be  a trend of 'Japanese' second hand shop where they ship container loads of junk from Japan, some of these shops have guitars as well, quality of finds in these shops vary and most of the good one would have been snapped up or priced accordingly anyway,  These shops are all pretty similar but the way to notice them is that they'll have rows of 2nd hand bicycles parked up front

There's one of these Japanese 2nd hand shop on 3rd road between south and central Pattaya, and one on Sukhumvit south of floating market, 

I've been to one of these Japanese 2nd hand warehouse in Bangkok in some out of the way place where they actually open and unload the containers but even the price seem similar to what you'll find here 

Only lucky finds might be electronics where they'll have a row of plastic wrapped electronics that's been tested to work for one price, and the rest of the pile are sold 'as is' and with no way to test the stuff in the shop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24/10/2016 at 9:01 AM, Rimmer said:

The shop on the left after the new Toyota showroom on Sukhumvit and just before HueYai traffic lights that has a giant guitar standing by the entrance, has maybe 300 to 500 used acoustic and electric guitars hanging on the end wall, they also have all manner of amps speakers,  pianos, electric organs thousands of used golf clubs and a lot of other very strange things.  Even if you don't find a guitar you like its worth a visit just to look at all the other strange stuff in there as well. 

Great place to have look around. Was looking to replace my 'Chris' acoustic guitar which my wife donated to her grand daughter. The place is like Alladins cave, my wife was like a dog with two doo daas looking around whilst I looked at the great choice of guitars. Took a Yamaha of the wall and it was near enough in tune, played it, sounded good and had a low action to it also. So a new Yamaha guitar made in Indonesia for 4,500 baht, very happy.

The down side is my wife bought a very tacky clock that chimes every half hour.

I know OP wants 2nd hand, but I am always impressed at some of the guitars in the markets/malls, some of the non name chinese/thai copies are great for the price. I found a martin d28 copy the other day and for 2,000 baht it played really well. Same with the electrics, for the price and a little bit of fix up, you can find some great ones.

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I know OP wants 2nd hand, but I am always impressed at some of the guitars in the markets/malls, some of the non name chinese/thai copies are great for the price. I found a martin d28 copy the other day and for 2,000 baht it played really well. Same with the electrics, for the price and a little bit of fix up, you can find some great ones.

A copy Martin D28 !! Where did you see that?

A friend has a D18 copy made I suspect by Sigma Japan before they stopped making them and it is a dream to play just like an original D18

8 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

A copy Martin D28 !! Where did you see that?

A friend has a D18 copy made I suspect by Sigma Japan before they stopped making them and it is a dream to play just like an original D18

A couple of months ago now, but I think it was in a mall (they all look the same) at bang saen, just the guy selling guitars next to the escalators etc. I think it was chinese, had that loud/bright martin sound, rosewood back and sides, spruce top (or at least stained to look like it). I think it was called a Marlin, lol