Cult's in Thailand??

pianoman

On 24/10/2016 at 1:43 AM, boomerangutang said:

Thais are as easily sucked into cultish thinking as any other group of people.  It's a human proclivity to be drawn to believing silly notions.   Kids do it with fairy tales, and that's not odd.  But adults keep the ball rolling, and their fairy tales are more elaborate and expensive. It usually causes loss of money and tarnished personal relationships.  

That's part of the reason I stay single.  I don't want to be burdened with a spouse who has weird allegiances.  It's a drain of money, time, and mental facilities.   .....and it usually serves two primary purposes:  

>>>  giving the cult worshiper something to focus on which makes that person feel involved/significant, and

>>>  building up the ego and bank account of the person being worshiped.

Which hospital you escaped from mate?

4 hours ago, pianoman said:

O.K., a little more information regarding this Cult / Situation...  Individual involved is a friend and I do not want to add to his problems by "Outing" him, but feel that this is serious enough to warrant trying to find more information regarding this "Group"...

"5 years ago my wife joined a religious cult, they took over her life and finances. _______then informed me that she belonged to the guy in the sky ___________________. I then joined the Taiwan run group to try and make things work. I became a vegetarian and went to a couple of their meetings, I stopped when I realised what was going on. People had to recruit others, by force or fear and also pay large amounts of money to get a front row seat in the sky. We built a nice house on the farm, when it was finished I was told it was for the cult to use, I took it back by force. Then a temple was built on the farm for their use and a large sum was paid to bless it. _______"

I am worried about my friend and also others who might become involved with this group, as they seem to be really trying to spread their "Word" /Bullshit...

Pianoman

That's a really bad situation to be in. It's easy to sit here in bed writing to tell him to cash up and get the hell out - but I understand it's easier said than done. I hope there are no kids involved. Lawyer up and protect as much of his assets and cash as he can.

If I remember correctly what I read about this way back, it is to treat this as a substance addiction. Treatment is same too. First and most importantly, get the person out of the addictive environment and as far away as possible. Next, comes handling withdrawal.

But the first step seems easier said than done in your friend's case. But it's the only way. He can't realistically hope to compete mano a mano with the cult which seems to have taken over his wife's life. Maybe lure her off on a long holiday abroad ...

On 25/10/2016 at 5:26 AM, pianoman said:

O.K., a little more information regarding this Cult / Situation...  Individual involved is a friend and I do not want to add to his problems by "Outing" him, but feel that this is serious enough to warrant trying to find more information regarding this "Group"...

"5 years ago my wife joined a religious cult, they took over her life and finances. _______then informed me that she belonged to the guy in the sky ___________________. I then joined the Taiwan run group to try and make things work. I became a vegetarian and went to a couple of their meetings, I stopped when I realised what was going on. People had to recruit others, by force or fear and also pay large amounts of money to get a front row seat in the sky. We built a nice house on the farm, when it was finished I was told it was for the cult to use, I took it back by force. Then a temple was built on the farm for their use and a large sum was paid to bless it. _______"

I am worried about my friend and also others who might become involved with this group, as they seem to be really trying to spread their "Word" /Bullshit...

Pianoman

I have heard many refer to dhammakaya as a cult. 

Also there are a few buddhist vegetarian cults here one of which was involved in some political protests in 2010.

12 hours ago, andrusius said:

I have heard many refer to dhammakaya as a cult. 

Also there are a few buddhist vegetarian cults here one of which was involved in some political protests in 2010.

My ex-wife was from Laos but got seriously into Nichiren Buddhism way back about 30 years ago. I assume via Soka Gakkai International which now has a significant presence throughout Thailand. If your wife or partner goes about chanting namyohorengekyo, she's one of them as well.