How far can your wife walk?

baneko

My missus took the huff after we walked from BKK Soi 4 to Soi 11 for a meal with friends.

100 meters she takes the motorbike. She says its due to soi dogs in my village.

Does your missus have problems putting one leg in front of the other?

Can walk - at least 10 km.

Willing to walk - perhaps  250 metres.

Willing to walk in the name of a Buddhist ritual - up to 2 km.

The most amazing thing was when she successfully climbed Ramkhamhaeng Mountain in Sukhothai all the way to the top albeit with incredible complaining.

It is best to structure your time together bearing this unwillingness to walk in mind.

Can walk - at least 10 km.
Willing to walk - perhaps  250 metres.
Willing to walk in the name of a Buddhist ritual - up to 2 km.

The most amazing thing was when she successfully climbed Ramkhamhaeng Mountain in Sukhothai all the way to the top albeit with incredible complaining.

It is best to structure your time together bearing this unwillingness to walk in mind.

10yrs....think she loses 10 meters per year....

We used to do a five mile hike around Diamond Head in Hawaii fairly often and we have been on many hikes in National Parks.  One of the more strenuous ones was the twelve mile hike down and back to Lookout Point in the Grand Canyon.  Doing the downhill first and then having to hike out is a little different.

Thats funny! While I lived in the "sticks", I always took long walks. At first, the Thai's stopped, thinking my Motorbike had broken down, offering me a ride.

After a while, they realized that I am doing this on a voluntary basis. Conclusion: "Just another crazy Farang, but otherwise, he is an OK guy". 555

- Maybe this aversion by Thai's to walk and generally avoid unnecessary physical exertion may well date back to times when there was no farm machinery, only strenuous physical labor.

Well understood, a person performing hard labor must eat a lot. Remarkably, (these days)  Ladies working in the Entertainment Sector, must be convinced that their trade consists of nothing less than "hard labor". So they eat accordingly. AND IT SHOWS! (= Increasingly.)
Cheers.

If you ask your wife walking is for poor people in Thailand , and no good wife wants to be looked upon as poor in a country where money and status is  more important than family and friends. 

My missus used to walk with me on my afternoon strolls along the canals near Suwannaphumi/King Kaew but after an encounter with an angry four foot cobra one day that put her off a little plus as this was my 'wool gathering time' after a day's work she knew I prefered to be alone so would happily let me go alone. When I started going a little later, she sometimes tagged along but there were always stops on the homeward leg, her for grub, me for a beer...

Over in the UK she loves walking in the countryside especially in fair weather but with colder weather now here, she isn't too keen, that said, as it knackers the kids and dogs out which leads to a peaceful evening so she tends to go most afternoons to the park near home.

Most rural Thai villages aren't really geared up for anyone to walk anywhere. There are no pavements (sidewalks) and my wife has always insisted that walking on the road especially at night isn't very safe. When she lived in the UK with me, the first thing that surprised her was that I walked everywhere within the town I lived in, sometimes deliberately taking a longer, more scenic route to my destination (I lived by the sea). Once she got over the culture shock, she really enjoyed our walks, so much so that we started doing walks out in the country, up hill and down dale etc. In fairness the climate in Thailand isn't favorable for walking long distances, unless you go early morning or late afternoon.   

I think, as pointed out by a previous poster, it's a loss of face thing, walking is for poor people, and other Thais might look down on them.

My Thai wife, would walk a long way in the UK (especially if it involved brand shops) here in Thailand she walks nowhere!  

Walks everywhere and a lot, the only problem is the complaining about the sun, the heat as well the skin turns dark.

So if you want to let her walk, go to a mall and let her shop till she drops or you are broke.

;-)

It is just an attitude problem and status. I have met people take a taxi to drive a few 100 meters so they are in the aircon.

Most who want abroad they walk more and love to walk, also because of the site walks.

So it is more for you to trick her is you want to let her walk.

Up and down Phu Kraduen a few times, even in the rainy season, Pho Chi fa, the big one in Nan (I forget the name) we had to camp 1/2 way up to the top, far too many national park walks to remember in Thailand, especially visiting caves.

Penny Fan a couple of times, small but tough mountains in Korea, in the Harzburg mountains, top of the Peak in HK. Up a darn big hill near the Plain of Jars to visit some HCM trail tunnels. Up the Draks in SA.

But the really hard graft, we used to walk all the way down Ekamai to Sukhumvit and then into Central for a drink in the evening, the pavement is terrible.

Its me that's knackered now, she is still as fit as a fiddle.

Archived