Worst deadly civil aviation airliner crash in Malta

webfact

Worst deadly civil aviation airliner crash in Malta

MALTA: -- An aircraft carrying EU border officials from Malta to Libya crashed at Malta International Airport at 7.15 am local time Monday. It's the worst peacetime crash for Malta.

Five passengers and crew are feared to be dead. There were not believed to be any survivors from the disaster, which is Malta's worst peacetime air accident.

Officials told local media the flight was heading for the city of Misrata in Libya and there was no immediate confirmation of the nationality of the victims.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/75365/worst-deadly-civil-aviation-airliner-crash-malta

-- eTN 2016-10-24

Plane crashes on takeoff at Malta airport, 5 aboard killed 

VALLETTA, Malta (AP) — Officials say a light plane has crashed after takeoff from Malta International Airport, killing all five people on board.

The twin-prop Metroliner tipped toward the right and crashed into the ground soon after lifting off at 7:20 a.m. Monday, bursting into flames, eyewitnesses said.

Part of the burning wreckage ended up on a road outside the perimeter of the airport.

The airplane was on its way to Misurata, Libya.

Malta International Airport is temporarily closed until the debris is cleared.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-10-24

On the way to work, Monday, 24th of October 2016, around 07:17. As I drove to work I saw on my right hand side an enormous and loud fire ball! I did not have seen the airplane-private jet coming down, but felt the explosion. On the run way where another 2 or 3 Air liners. Big respect to the Airport Fire station, they arrived within one minute.
Say a prayer for the lives-souls that have been on that Air plain. God is taking care of them now. Bystanders told that they have seen a private JET falling down, in a straight line and it crushed into-or very close to a hangar

A British-based actor has described the horrific moment a plane exploded into a ball of flames after crashing at an airport in Malta.

Edward De Gaetano was on his way home back to London when he witnessed the aftermath of the crash at Luqa airport this morning.

Mr De Gaetano was onboard a plane and waiting to take off when the crash happened.

He said: "We were about to take off, moments before we did from our windows we could see a massive explosion - at first we had no idea what caused it.

1477315249945.jpg.93dd598f98f2e823dccdb91477315271288.jpg.3b4d346eb5a98eeb31f03f1477315294408.jpg.0a415224a993e00ceb1fe71477315334173.thumb.jpg.a398ba2a77bdec1d

That was a tragic crash. I seen these twin prop aircraft operate for a lot of years.  They fly okay on two engine, but lousy on one engine. The style of wing is such that this kind of aircraft needs two good engines to climb to their planned flight altitude.  This aircraft appears to have had a major mechanical problem in the whole video, that it is seen. RIP to all of those on board.

Geezer