Anyway I could make money while staying in Thailand ?

Dave Ramsey

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MRjlh is right. You need a work permit. Even if you did manage to get a job the wages are really low.

If you are an expat you can do what the rest of the other expats do and make money online. There are a number of ways to do that like being a freelancer or a blogger. If you have a certain skill that you can do over the internet then I would suggest you become a freelancer.

Read this post here because it goes into more detail than I could go into in this one comment

4 minutes ago, Saastrajaa said:

Keep in mind, OP, that a lot of the responses to your post here, are, as the Brits like to say in their quaint, often incomprehensible version of English, "taking the piss"...that means they're being <deleted> and mocking you to your face.

Bit like you then,

Sure but you have to lay low......

even simple things like selling on Ebay  is harder now that you need a passport to mail overseas , 

So  English lessons ,  or whatever you are an "expert" at may work , but if you put an ad on Craigslist  people have been busted for "working" so no idea  how to let you know how to advertise safely , 

I would figure out a job before I left home that I could do online or on Skype , just figure out the timat home compared to Thailand as you may end up working  at 3am Bangkok time ......

Or you could just design websites like everyone else does........

On 10/25/2016 at 10:01 AM, SoiBiker said:

Jealousy?

Who do you think is going to be jealous of you?

Yes, I would think most people, Thai or Farang, would feel pity (or worse) for someone staying here for two months who needed to work.

Despite the many posts suggesting that it was easy to find work here, it is illegal to perform any work without a work permit and that would include donated work without compensation. The work permit is in addition to having the appropriate visa.

As you'll notice on the tourist visa below, about 2/3rds down you'll see "employment prohibited."

tourist visa employment.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

Guys this is a newbie and he was asking legitimate question and most of you are only taking the piss. True, he is a lazy bugger for not using the search function but maybe you could tell him that instead of making him feel unwelcome.

Shame on you... get a life :post-4641-1156693976:

You will have to compete with the Thai people, and surely need a work permit. This work permit takes several weeks ( at least ) to arrange, if you can find an employer that is willing to hire you for just a few months ( not gonna happen...) and you need a non immigrant B visum, takes time as well. So, if I were you, I would holiday for 2 months.

Legally, no.

In reality, on some of the more farang orientated islands you do see farang 'working'. Often helping out behind the bar or do a bit in a hostel, perhaps. Not sure about money, more likely 'free drinks' or 'free lodging'.

It's certainly not legal and you'd have no work permit. Sometimes on the islands it seems they turn a blind eye to this stuff but there's no guarantees.

I would suggest not bothering and just enjoy the 2 months, there's plenty to do and see, why do you want to work?

On 10/25/2016 at 8:51 AM, Saastrajaa said:

Keep in mind, OP, that a lot of the responses to your post here, are, as the Brits like to say in their quaint, often incomprehensible version of English, "taking the piss"...that means they're being <deleted> and mocking you to your face.

No, that was an American.  Tex p1ss  (northwest English).

To OP, unless you''re going to be here for a long time, learning the ropes of the administration and rules required to get a Work Permit and what you have to do that isn't taking up a Thai job (and employ 4 Thais, pay tax on a minimum of 50K pm whether you earn it or not) you'd be on a hiding to nothing.

Even if you could get another party such as a school to give you a job and they sort the work permit out for you, you'd be leaving before you got your feet under the table.

So the short answer is no not really, unless you're creative as a digital nomad and your office is your laptop wherever you go.

2 hours ago, wump said:

Guys this is a newbie and he was asking legitimate question and most of you are only taking the piss. True, he is a lazy bugger for not using the search function but maybe you could tell him that instead of making him feel unwelcome.

Good point.... Apologies from the bottom of my heart..

Or, it could be a banned member coming back for a bit of fun at your expense :)

Unless you work for BOT (https://www.bot.or.th/English/BOTStoryTelling/Pages/RecruitmentInternshipScholarship_StoryTelling_Student.aspx), making money by yourself it's not recommendable.

Unfortunately the country you are intending to visit, doesn't really fit so well with the purpose of it, either change country or the reason for coming in.

Coming to this place for finding a work, it's like wanting to go to the desert looking for a white bear, really, this must to be one of the most retrograde and (not so) secretly xenophobe country on earth, for how hard it makes for a foreigner to have a "normal" and honest life, you might end up into prison for just doing some good deeds, so, if you really are still willing to have a go, it might work out much better to do something which might be worth the risk.

Alternatively, you might want to look for one of those short term voluntary positions, for an NGO or whatever else, as if you don't have some friend or friend of a friend, willing to hire you, it might simply prove to be impossible finding what you are looking for, no matter how lucky you are....  

3 hours ago, wump said:

Interesting that a newbie asking a reasonable question can be dragged through the coals without let or hindrance, but if someone were to comment on a poster's use of English, for example using "anyway" instead of "any way," the person making the comment would probably be blasted for being a heavy handed member of the Grammar Police. 

I came to Thailand with three others from Canada for a 4 month job starting up a new plastic plant. the company paid all.visa work permits.etc. I didn't even.had to pay taxes they did that too.

IT was good gig with great income. that's why I am still here. I loved the country. if it wasn't for that I be freezing my butt off back home in the winter.

Going on 6 years now.