Visa run query

How strict are the rules on visa runs/border bounces these days? Is the one bounce rule actually enforced or are the authorities just cracking down on serial offenders? Would doing two runs for instance be risky and simply not worth the risk of possible issues? When I used to come for long stays in Thailand (03-07 period) there wasn't any real restrictions to visa runs, or at least it wasn't enforced if there was any and I have only had a few brief trips to Thailand in the last few years so never really had to adapt. Bit of a last minute thing so i don't have time to apply for any visas before my trip to Thailand.

Thanks in advance.

Things have changed greatly since 2007.

• Two 'Visa Runs' should be ok, but you shouldn't expect to get more than 2 or 3 back to back Visa Exempt Entries by land. 'Visa runs/border bounces' aren't available at all land borders.
  • 30 day Visa Exempt Entries can now be extended by 30 days at a local immigration office for 1,900 baht. It used to only be 7 days.
  • Note that some airlines will not let you fly if you travel without a visa and don't have an onward flight dated within 30 days of arrival.

Hi, i have a similar question,

my girlfriend is working here for two years we plan to see as much of Asia as possible in that time so we will  be crossing borders by land and air quite often.

Would it be possible to do 3 'visa exempts' with extensions then a 'single entry tourist visa' then 3 more 'visa exempt' then another 'SETV' etc? 

hope this makes sense,

thanks.

26 minutes ago, rowan lynn said:

Hi, i have a similar question,

my girlfriend is working here for two years we plan to see as much of Asia as possible in that time so we will  be crossing borders by land and air quite often.

Would it be possible to do 3 'visa exempts' with extensions then a 'single entry tourist visa' then 3 more 'visa exempt' then another 'SETV' etc? 

hope this makes sense,

thanks.

There are no stated rules for Visa Exempts, but that formula would not be recommended by me.  I would do all SETVs, after 2 Visa-Exempts max upon initial arrival - and only try those if you have not been in the country recently for any significant period of time. 

Once you have spent significant time in Thailand (3+ months in the past year), Exempts are no longer a reliable way to enter the country.  Airports tend to deny less often, but if you are denied, you will be held in captivity until you can book a flight out.

If making very short stays, then more Exempts would be possible - but you note extending the exempt entries - a pattern which would appear to a border-official as attempting to stay long-term using the Visa-Exempt scheme.

32 minutes ago, rowan lynn said:

Also does it make a difference crossing a land border to crossing an air border?

Unless you are from a G7 country you will only get a 15 day visa exempt entry instead of 30 days.

Some crossing are strict on the number of visa exempt entries they will allow.

At most border crossings to Myanmar they do not allow one without a visa for re-entry.