No more Multiple Entry Non mms in UK ??

I am unsure if this is news or already known. 

I had an appointment to get a non imm O on the basis of marriage Nov 3rd from wales UK. Last night the Welsh Consul called me at end of the day and said they have been told they can not issue any multiple entry non imm visas after the end of the month. He offered me a METV on Nov 3rd or to change my appointment, which I did and went this morning and collected a 1 year non imm O multiple. Job done and good service. 

The consul said that all UK consuls are now instructed they can not issue them under any circumstance after end of month. He said this was a directive from the ministry of foreign affairs (IIRC). 

Secondly he said that while the embassy can choose to still issue multiple entry visas, the guidelines he has been told are that they will not be issuing any multiple entry visas as of next month without 'very special circumstances', he said basically no more married or retired 1 year multiples, that possibly business non imms 'may' get multiple entry visas if they could show a suitable use case, but the vast majority will be refused and all people should take a single and then extend incountry. Normal business operators with a Thai company would not qualify he believed, only international business where the country is frequented very often for short duration with a proven history (a bit like the 3 year non imm B ) would be possibly special enough. 

So far I see no notice on the UK Thai embassy site but the consul said this has only just came through hence him going through the appointment list. He said that 'for sure' this is UK wide but that he believes the way the notice has been issued it will be worldwide. He was quite open about it all but said its METVs or Single entry non imm Os from now on. 

• Like 2

Well that just sucks....

What about people that are married, live in Thailand but work away on a rotation basis !!

They really are trying to get everyone to deposit 400-800k in a Thai bank to be able to get an extension in country, then have to buy a multi re-entry permit..

At the moment, I often use visa exemption and extend for either 30 or 60 days, depending on work. Guess this will be the next thing to go...

I had heard it was more and more going through embassys only, they still used to do physical appointment issues. 

But the issue here is he claims London will not be issuing the multiples at all, not only that it wasnt available at consuls. 

I guess the writing has been on the wall for a while. Issue is they are not ramping up the incountry immigration abaility to handle the new workload, you need to queue all night in chiang mai to get an appointment. Literally people going there at midnight and sleeping outside the office. 

This has been reported from the other UK consulates but it is great that the Cardiff office gave you the (last) chance to get one before Npvember.  It has been also reported on here that the London Embassy will still issue a 12 month non-O but how long that lasts who can say.  We have to wait and see if Penang and Savannakhet also stop issuing these.....time will tell.....

6 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I just spent 30 mins holding on the phone to the London embassy trying to hear it from the horses mouth, but gave up at that stage. I doubt anyone was actually answering the phones. 

I was given a similar story by the Hull Consulate yesterday. You're wasting your time trying to speak to anyone in London!

If you have ever visited the London Thai Embassy you can easily understand why phoning is a waste of time. The place is packed solid day in day out. Your often waiting on the pavement to even be able to get in. Phone waiting time is way in excess of 90 minutes at times just get through to the switch board. It helps if you have the correct ext number before you call.

Edited by Ronuk

38 minutes ago, SoFarAndNear said:

Wow... bad news for the Savannakhet Multiple Entry Non-O guys....

It would only be bad news if Savannakhet were in the UK.

From the OP:

The consul said that all UK consuls are now instructed they can not issue them under any circumstance after end of month. He said this was a directive from the ministry of foreign affairs (IIRC). 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I'm not here to defend immigration BUT if you are living here you should have an extension of stay. Multiple Entry Visas are meant for people that live outside Thailand and frequently visit. If working they should be able to use that income (min 40K pm) rather than deposit any money in the bank, and a re-entry permit is only 3,800 baht.

I am not sure it is a case of "should".  The non-O multi has been very useful for people who come and go on a regular basis, like me in fact.  The ease of getting one and the lack of needing stupid pictures around your house, witnesses, visits from immigration, hand drawn maps, google maps, satellite images, etc ,etc, etc, all made it a good option.  If it's gone then that's fine but what improvement it makes to the countries security I am not entirely sure.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I'm not here to defend immigration BUT if you are living here you should have an extension of stay. Multiple Entry Visas are meant for people that live outside Thailand and frequently visit. If working they should be able to use that income (min 40K pm) rather than deposit any money in the bank, and a re-entry permit is only 3,800 baht.

I have been on extensions for 7 years.. But the combined factors of Chiang Mais immigration failing to operate normal hours (all night queues) and being in and out frequently making the 30 days under review very difficult.

It just gets gradually less and less appealing to bother.. I have already stepped out from full time life, starting a second euro home, hence going from extensions to multiple entry.. Getting to the point where I may just holiday there. 

23 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I am not sure it is a case of "should".  The non-O multi has been very useful for people who come and go on a regular basis, like me in fact.  The ease of getting one and the lack of needing stupid pictures around your house, witnesses, visits from immigration, hand drawn maps, google maps, satellite images, etc ,etc, etc, all made it a good option.  If it's gone then that's fine but what improvement it makes to the countries security I am not entirely sure.

I understand that it "has been very useful" but the loophole that allows certain people to live in Thailand using ME Non Immigrant Visas does appear to be closing. As expat numbers grow they probably want better control over who's living here. I'm sure it's all about convenience for you, but in my experience many that use this method do so because they cant meet the financial requirements that immigration deem a minimum for anyone wanting to live here. Hopefully ME visa will still be available, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start to insist on 400K in the bank or 40K pm income before issuing them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I have been on extensions for 7 years.. But the combined factors of Chiang Mais immigration failing to operate normal hours (all night queues) and being in and out frequently making the 30 days under review very difficult.

It just gets gradually less and less appealing to bother.. I have already stepped out from full time life, starting a second euro home, hence going from extensions to multiple entry.. Getting to the point where I may just holiday there. 

I don't blame you. I would've found an alternative (if possible) if living in CM.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

I understand that it "has been very useful" but the loophole that allows certain people to live in Thailand using ME Non Immigrant Visas does appear to be closing. As expat numbers grow they probably want better control over who's living here. I'm sure it's all about convenience for you, but in my experience many that use this method do so because they cant meet the financial requirements that immigration deem a minimum for anyone wanting to live here. Hopefully ME visa will still be available, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start to insist on 400K in the bank or 40K pm income before issuing them.

It wasn't a "loophole", it was a valid option for people that live in Thailand but exit frequently for work purposes.

There are a lot of us.

The financial criteria (ie 40k/month or 400K deposit) is certainly not an issue for myself and the majority of folk that work off shore :)

Extensions of stay are for those living in Thailand all year round, and as stated above are a lot more hassle to get than a regular Multi entry Non O.

However, if that's the way it's going, I will play along as I quite like living with my wife....

For now, I will stick to visa exemptions and extending for 60 days. That covers my purposes fine. Until they stop that too !!!!

Edited by cornishcarlos
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

It wasn't a "loophole", it was a valid option for people that live in Thailand but exit frequently for work purposes.

There are a lot of us.

The financial criteria (ie 40k/month or 400K deposit) is certainly not an issue for myself and the majority of folk that work off shore :)

Extensions of stay are for those living in Thailand all year round, and as stated above are a lot more hassle to get than a regular Multi entry Non O.

However, if that's the way it's going, I will play along as I quite like living with my wife....

For now, I will stick to visa exemptions and extending for 60 days. That covers my purposes fine. Until they stop that too !!!!

I specifically said a loophole that allows certain people to live here. Meaning those that live here "all year round" without having to prove financials, deal with local immigration, or prove that they are in a legit marriage.

However, it is ridiculous that ME visa holders can stay all year round (live here) when they make the guy following correct procedure have to meet certain requirements.

From your post you say that you live in Thailand with your wife when not working, so you live in Thailand. The ME visa, within the system, is designed for those that live outside Thailand and frequently visit their spouse. Extensions are meant for people that live in Thailand with their spouse. 

It's all about numbers. As the expat numbers grow the more the authorities enforce the system as its meant to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

I have been using a ME Non Immigrant visa for the last 12 years, leaving Thailand to work for four months at a time. I have just received a new visa last week as I am returning to Thailand in two weeks.

For the first time  London requested proof of 40k a month income as well as the usual. My passport was back in 3 days with visa.

All visa's are getting a little more difficult to get and keep but we must all do as we are told, if we want to spend time with our family's.

• Like 1

Just now, elviajero said:

I specifically said a loophole that allows certain people to live here. Meaning those that live here "all year round" without having to prove financials, deal with local immigration, or prove that they are in a legit marriage.

However, it is ridiculous that ME visa holders can stay all year round (live here) when they make the guy following correct procedure have to meet certain requirements.

From your post you say that you live in Thailand with your wife when not working, so you live in Thailand. The ME visa, within the system, is designed for those that live outside Thailand and frequently visit their spouse. Extensions are meant for people that live in Thailand with their spouse. 

It's all about numbers. As the expat numbers grow the more the authorities enforce the system as its meant to be.

The ME visa was a genuine option for people living in Thailand, not just for those who visit frequently. The only stipulation was that you were required to leave every 3 months, even for just a day.

Extensions are for people who do not want to leave every 3 months, although the 90 day report is still there.

I have always followed correct procedures, just chose the ME route as it was better for my circumstances.

There are people who will abuse any system, thinking they are clever... As the options shrink, so do the "loopholes"

As the options shrink, it becomes harder for those who want to stay in Thailand in strict compliance with the rules. As an example, the extension of stay on the basis of marriage may be very difficult for those on a 3 week on/3 week off overseas work schedule, as the under consideration period makes it tricky to be in Thailand when home visits occur. For such people the straightforward ME visa is a much more practical alternative.

Although harder for those who want to follow the rules, it has little impact on those who want to game the system. There are plenty of shady agents who can help those who need ways around the regular rules. Indded, they will be doing better business than ever.

Good guys out, bad guys can stay.

• Like 1

As the options shrink, it becomes harder for those who want to stay in Thailand in strict compliance with the rules. As an example, the extension of stay on the basis of marriage may be very difficult for those on a 3 week on/3 week off overseas work schedule, as the under consideration period makes it tricky to be in Thailand when home visits occur. For such people the straightforward ME visa is a much more practical alternative.

Although harder for those who want to follow the rules, it has little impact on those who want to game the system. There are plenty of shady agents who can help those who need ways around the regular rules. Indded, they will be doing better business than ever.

Good guys out, bad guys can stay.

Exactly, living here for decades, Thailand is our home. My Thai wife like me has a consultant job, working overseas in different places many times in the year. Difficult for me to get an extension. Multiple entry Non-O was the solution for us so far.

In USA, honorary consulates were also instructed to stop issuing multiple entry visas of any category almost 2 months ago already.  You have to apply at a Thai Embassy or Consulate General.  I think worldwide, honorary consulates are getting squeezed.  But you should still be able to get a multiple entry non-imm from neighboring Thai consulates for Visiting Family (thai spouse or children), Business, or Retirement.  Not sure about education.

Especially visiting family.   It is unlikely that someone will be willing to take care or support a family that they cannot even visit.  I guarantee you if enough money stops flowing in, they will open up the borders again.  In a way, it could be an indirect way to effect currency control. Like a dam, you open it up wider when you want more flow, and shrink it more when you don't need so much.

Here's the thing that I find most interesting.  It's not that the Thai Embassy(ies) in question cannot issue the multiple entry visas....they are just becoming more snobbish about doing so.  It could just be a temporary cool-off period to compensate for the more liberal issuance of MEVs in the past.   Extensions in country are not always appropriate, even with re-entry permit.  Multiple Entry Visas, for both neighboring foreigners and western foreigners will still be needed.  It's actually easier way to track someone and reduce paperwork with visas vs the extension method, which needs to be overhauled.  I really do wonder what they do with all that paperwork once it is processed.

Edited by 4evermaat

I pesonally believe it  is due to a wish to bring the process of issuing multiple entry Non O visas and eztensions more underr the direct control of Thai immigration and the Thai embassies.

They are bypassing the honory consulates, and assuming nuch nore direct control, from the

embassies.

By doing this the immigration will be the peopl who decide the issuance and rules for  multi entry and probably also retirement visas.

Possibly soon marriage visa/extensions and retirement extensions will also be targeted fror more direct control from the center and less from honorary consulates.

it is a power thing, the aurhorities want to control from the center and be more directly in control from there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pontious said:

The Hull Consulate update on 3/10/16 says non o with pension aged 65 or over will only be single entry - you will have to extend in Thailand.

The embassy can still issue a multiple entry visa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

There are a lot of us.

As far as the Thais are concerned it is for people who live outside Thailand and enter frequently for work purposes. There is officially no category of living in Thailand and exiting for work purposes as you think. Using it as a way to stay LT in Thailand is not what it was designed for and what they are seeking to eliminate Stating the facts as I understand them.

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

As far as the Thais are concerned it is for people who live outside Thailand and enter frequently for work purposes. There is officially no category of living in Thailand and exiting for work purposes as you think. Using it as a way to stay LT in Thailand is not what it was designed for and what they are seeking to eliminate Stating the facts as I understand them.

So not facts, just facts as "you understand them"  :)

Whatever the case may be, it was a legitimate visa option that looks like it will now be unavailable.

I'll try and get another 1 at Savannahket next month before they close it off completely.... 

4 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

So not facts, just facts as "you understand them"  :)

Whatever the case may be, it was a legitimate visa option that looks like it will now be unavailable.

I'll try and get another 1 at Savannahket next month before they close it off completely.... 

I used it myself for many years and was never questioned about my residence or travel by immigration. I am just stating my interpretation of rationales for visa categories based on 20years of using everything from fast track Non B/WP to monthly border runs. Note it is 'Multiple entry' Not Residence and Multiple Exit/Entry

Edited by mokwit