Honda CRF 250L

ad61

5ft 11....the height not an issue unless you are on proper uneven Rocky terrain,,looked into the spring rate for the shock and  pretty sure it's only one spring rate for this shock .seems mainly only the honda pcx they have different spring rates available.....

Not had time to fit my rim lock yet and to try running low pressure

• 3 weeks later...

They have a CRF250L in my local dealer, now up to 140k baht, one thing..have they changed the seat height I sat on it having just ridden in on my Lifan and I could swear they are the same? So I checked the height unloaded my Lifan is actaully an inch higher, so that has removed one obstacle to buying one, apart from the price..(Lifan x 3) and I do like simple push-rod engines.

It would also appear that the rims are the same size 21" and 18" same width roughly, so would they fit my Lifan, I need new tyres and the Honda tyres look good. Strange the max tyre pressure is only 196kpa (28psi) mmmmm?

Yes this year's model is a little lower than all the previous year's model.

I have blown the front fork seals out on mine,just noticed puddle of oil on floor ,,,maybe time to change front fork spring at same time.....bit of a bitch of a job coming up me thinks:(

Edited by taninthai

22 hours ago, taninthai said:

Yes this year's model is a little lower than all the previous year's model.

I have blown the front fork seals out on mine,just noticed puddle of oil on floor ,,,maybe time to change front fork spring at same time.....bit of a bitch of a job coming up me thinks:(

Were you being a bit rough, or just regular use?

Let me know if you decide to sell it and I will makes sure I avoid it :shock1:

This is the reason I bought a new Lifan, these bike do get a hammering, no problem, your bike, but buying secondhand can be a real minefield.

My Lifan may be an inferior, weaker machine but better buying new, it has been a known quantity, easy to fix too...anyway keep having fun mate, that's what it's about.

It did look good in the shop though..."if I was a rich man busy busy........"

I haven't written off buying one, it would certainly suit my lifestyle....I did find a minter around 3 years ago 95k baht. Sold quickly.

On 12/8/2016 at 2:08 PM, taninthai said:

http://tntmotor.net       best to use line app to contact him always get quick reply ...good guy  ,and quick delivery.

Ok... have already bought rear sprocket from him via facebook/ messager.... was trying to upgrade last year but wasn't keen on spending 15k plus which was cheapest i could find at the time..... anyway, hammered in a few more turns of preload and standard is fine for what i need atm..

Like you,  think i;ve got a fork seal to do as well... unless its completely blown, have a look on youtube how to clean them, ive done it a few times with some really thin plastic cut into shape to clean around the seal.....

Edited by William Osborne

14 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

Ok... have already bought rear sprocket from him via facebook/ messager.... was trying to upgrade last year but wasn't keen on spending 15k plus which was cheapest i could find at the time..... anyway, hammered in a few more turns of preload and standard is fine for what i need atm..

Like you,  think i;ve got a fork seal to do as well... unless its completely blown, have a look on youtube how to clean them, ive done it a few times with some really thin plastic cut into shape to clean around the seal.....

Yeah I've done the little trick with plastic to clean the seal......it's stopped leaking but I'm thinking that's more because all the oil has already leaked out:).

Still doing research on you tube about how to change the seals......Can you just unscrew the top off the fork while still attached to bike and pour more oil in .....Just to check if they are still leaking?

yah.. im in more or less the same position as you !!... not sure if one side has re-sealed or its just run out oil......been looking on youtube re changing the seals but to no luck  ... only know right and left are different.... previously, i did a similar thing to a zx6r ( to take oil out ) and discovered later (when i went to adjust rebound) by opening the top nut with the bottom part of the fork fixed you separate the whole rebound mechanism...not sure how i didnt crash after that !!...altou  i did only one fork and felt it wasnt right so stopped !!

Anyway, next plan is to get a proper bike lift or (paint bucket) and take out fork... check for oil and if empty take to local MX shop for new seal.... was there 6 months ago and quote was reasonable (which i cant remember now )

^

Lol....think the spring side is easy just trying to get my head around the oil measurements......I just use a wooden chair to get my bike off the ground.....parts number for new seal and dust cover is 51490-mfl-003 you want 2 obviously...if my forks are getting dismantled I'm probably gonna go for the new ohlins spring upgrade at the same time...7000 bht for spring and oil:(

Edited by taninthai

Yes, best DIY, a year or so ago I had the seals done on my NV and forks refilled, they stopped the leak, but the damping is pretty crap on the front, so I am thinking they didn't put any oil in.

You can sometimes clean the seals using a thin piece of plastic, enter "cleaning fork seals" into Youtube, but be sure to gradually pull the cleaner out as you go around the seal. 

On 12/9/2016 at 9:54 AM, taninthai said:

Definately rough with it ,,been playing in some proper muddy,Sandy areas ,wheelie practice 1 hour a day and not cleaned it for 2 months , a lot of sand and grit up around fork seals,need to get neoprene fork seals/protectors fitted

1481252053610.jpg1481252078569.jpg

That's the spirit.!!

Actually looking at your seals they are probably okay, but the shafts running through them are so rough and that is where the leak coming from. If you clean them you may have better idea of the leak and if you still have one afterwards. In it's current conditions the seals will wear and the leak will become worse.

They don't fit gaiters then, that would help a lot? 

got it on ,all went smoothly about 3 hour job including changing front sprocket from 14t to 13t,had the rear sprocket up from 40t to 42t for a while ,now after going down one on the front it seems a lot more perky in each gear ,doesn't seem to lug the engine as much nice pick up when your on and off the throttle ,,nice easy mod to do on the gearing .

shock feels great after just a little test ride.IMAG1302.thumb.jpg.a27f7d6dbc1fb61f1e43bcfb14ec7475.jpg

Man your bike is dirty. Before replacing parts is a good moment to give the bike a good wash. Sand might have dropped between moving parts when replacing your rear shock. Dried mud on front forks can also easily damage seals. And there are many more parts on your bike that will last longer when regularly cleaned.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 12/11/2016 at 2:31 PM, taninthai said:

.....don't worry all the rear linkages for suspension were stripped cleaned and 're greased as shock went in:)

heard some riders tap & install grease zert 

on links for that amphibious riding. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2016 at 11:31 AM, taninthai said:

That's the road to my house for last 2 months,will not dry out till January.....Yeah my bikes not like all these shiny new looking crf that people post on the internet and claim to use them off road.....Lol.....don't worry all the rear linkages for suspension were stripped cleaned and 're greased as shock went in:)

When the road eventually dries out bike gets cleaned a little more often

You obviously know the depth of the puddles LOL

Sometimes it's dry out...

20160624_103743%20Medium_zpsc1nacagr.jpg

Sometimes it isn't

20161125_104309_zpsbh1ykmvf.jpg

20161118_161011_zpsoxv7tpkl.jpg

But she always gets cleaned...

20160629_154038%20Medium_zpshxlbtkaw.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/12/2016 at 2:31 PM, taninthai said:

That's the road to my house for last 2 months,will not dry out till January.....Yeah my bikes not like all these shiny new looking crf that people post on the internet and claim to use them off road.....Lol.....don't worry all the rear linkages for suspension were stripped cleaned and 're greased as shock went in:)

When the road eventually dries out bike gets cleaned a little more often

Ever thought of moving to a land-based location? How does the bike fair against the crocs?

Still thinking about trading my Lifan for one next year, which is great one-up, but is just a tad lacking 2up with luggage. I think the CRF would just do it for us 50mph max and back of a pickup couple.

If they put that cursed 300 engine in it will be secondhand jobby though.

Check out the corrosion on engine casing,paint flaking off...on another note I have now fallen out with my local Honda dealer....ordered fork seals from them ...fine....went to pick them up and get the oil and they are trying to sell me 5 bootles of Honda shock oil....no indication of what rating the oil is ..each bottle 200 ml....told them I need 7 bottles and want 10w rating...keep on telling me I only need 5 then when I insist on 7 they tell me only have 5 in stock and I think it's the crap oil they use in scooter forks......do not let Honda dealer near your forks...pure jokers.

Have now ordered proper motul Oil from my preferred proffessional shop.....Will attempt job myself next week.

1482564070420.jpg1482564092189.jpg

Edited by taninthai

Ouch! that's shocking, how old is the bike? Looks like a 1980's Ford, just before delivery.... Seems even Honda don't know how to paint either.

I know what you mean about Thai mechanics and folks, haven't found one who knows anything, the last outstanding item on my Shadow to sort.

50 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

And you wonder why it is Corroded ? Paint Flaking off ? Preventive maintenance is the key.

???fully aware why it's corroded andnot complaing about it but preventive maintenance is easier said than done when you live beachfront and have to ride through sand, mud and sea water puddles at high tidesto get out coupled with water supply from a well that is far from ideal for cleaning bike anyway......after all that's why I have this bike because it suits my location???

• Like 2

On 24/12/2016 at 11:26 AM, taninthai said:

Check out the corrosion on engine casing,paint flaking off...on another note I have now fallen out with my local Honda dealer....ordered fork seals from them ...fine....went to pick them up and get the oil and they are trying to sell me 5 bootles of Honda shock oil....no indication of what rating the oil is ..each bottle 200 ml....told them I need 7 bottles and want 10w rating...keep on telling me I only need 5 then when I insist on 7 they tell me only have 5 in stock and I think it's the crap oil they use in scooter forks......do not let Honda dealer near your forks...pure jokers.

Have now ordered proper motul Oil from my preferred proffessional shop.....Will attempt job myself next week.

That's not pretty...but understandable where you live.

Our local Honda dealer did my mates forks for him and they haven't sprung a leak yet...I have the second spring in mine and hopefully this will stop me blowing the seals. Although I do have some SKF ones to go in there should/when they go.

Not sure if you have it or not, but here is the workshop manual for the CRF250L in PDF

62Kzz00_CRF253L

• Like 1

On 24/12/2016 at 10:28 AM, AllanB said:

Ever thought of moving to a land-based location? How does the bike fair against the crocs?

Still thinking about trading my Lifan for one next year, which is great one-up, but is just a tad lacking 2up with luggage. I think the CRF would just do it for us 50mph max and back of a pickup couple.

If they put that cursed 300 engine in it will be secondhand jobby though.

It's been confirmed that they've dropped the seat height on the 2017 CRF250L by 40mm...and the 300 engine won't be used

If you just want it for touring won't the Rally make for a better choice?

17-Honda-CRF250L-Rally_right-rear34.jpg

• Like 1