Honda CRF 250L

ad61

Is it a good bike? Anybody own one and could give me some comment (good/bad).

I live in the sticks in the southern province of Ranong and I'm looking for a bike to have fun with in the area. I've been quoted 139'000 bht for it, it is worth the money?

Thank you for the feedback.

Waiting for a 300cc upgrade for the Honda CRF250L would take some serious waiting, the 2017 (soon to be released) updated Honda CRF250L has still the same (maybe fine-tuned a bit) engine... So that means in 2-years for every serious model update that we cannot expect a 300cc before 2019.....

On 28/10/2016 at 9:17 AM, Richard-BKK said:

Waiting for a 300cc upgrade for the Honda CRF250L would take some serious waiting, the 2017 (soon to be released) updated Honda CRF250L has still the same (maybe fine-tuned a bit) engine... So that means in 2-years for every serious model update that we cannot expect a 300cc before 2019.....

I agree with that.

Even then, at this time, maybe it'll be talked of a 350cc upgrade, then of a 400cc upgrade, and so on...

As said my grand-father: "Being always expecting we never get anything"

:P

My son and I went in together on a CRF 250 a few years ago and it does the job both on the dirt and on the pavement.  If you do a lot of dirt then you might want to mount some knobby tires, but not too extreme.  During the dry season most Thai dirt roads and mountain sois can be ridden with street tires.  It could use a little more torque in first gear off road, but I was spoiled by my first dual sport in Thailand, a 1978 XL with the lowest 1st gear in town. But all in all it has been reliable and fun to ride and I ride about 70% pavement and 30% dirt. One other issue, like many modern dual sports, strapping on luggage takes some creativity.

crfsm.jpg

• Like 1

Beware if buying 2nd hand check the rubbe.r bung at bottom of rear shock discovered mine has turned pink and crumbles away when you touch it.
Can't say I'm too impressed shouldn't really happen to 4 year old bike with 15,000 km ....Can't replace it need new shock now 10,000 bht[emoji43][emoji43][emoji43]

1478419725451.jpg.d8ad2b78df6d219e7d4b71

I would have bought one if I had had the money, better build than my Lifan 200 Cross, but I prefer the slightly lower seat height on my bike and the simpler engine, which torque-wise is fine. Pulls well even in the wrong gear, which makes riding easier.

I think dirt bikes work better in Thailand, they are much more fun in every situation and you have the choice of surfaces. In the city they are nimble and a great riding position..and a little more individual.

Personally I wouldn't touch that Honda 300 engine with a barge-pole, I think it is a lemon, haven't heard anything bad about the 250, to me it is about torque anyway. It maybe why it is taking them so long to slot it into the CRF???

If you have the cash go for it and report.........

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

If you go with the Ohlins fork spring, or spring for the Race Tech, which uses a second spring in the LH (damping) leg, you will see a noticable improvement

Yeah I see something about ohlins spring upgrade for the forks.  However don't really want to plough loads of money into this bike,,,nearly bought a yz250f last week ,,,but was advised not ideal for tight jungle trials better to look for the wf 250r so might upgrade next year anyway...

Really don't get this bike,sounds like they have just added the throttle bodies from the cbr250rr,it's gonna be heavier,so even more underpowered than the normal crf......now if they had put a 450 cc in there it would have made more sense,also sounds like a even hight seating position.

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

Really don't get this bike,sounds like they have just added the throttle bodies from the cbr250rr,it's gonna be heavier,so even more underpowered than the normal crf......now if they had put a 450 cc in there it would have made more sense,also sounds like a even hight seating position.

It's just for looks.

No one will ever compete in a rally on this.

Well, maybe a rally down to Starbucks or sumfin.

Edited by papa al

got it on ,all went smoothly about 3 hour job including changing front sprocket from 14t to 13t,had the rear sprocket up from 40t to 42t for a while ,now after going down one on the front it seems a lot more perky in each gear ,doesn't seem to lug the engine as much nice pick up when your on and off the throttle ,,nice easy mod to do on the gearing .

shock feels great after just a little test ride.IMAG1302.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, taninthai said:

Like Christmas for me todayemoji2.png

1478845258953.jpg

When you bought the YSS shock did you specify the spring rate or do you figure it came the same rate as the stock Honda shock?

Thanks.

Edited by drift

as they are off the shelf dont think you can specify spring rate, got to move up to the more expensive models for that, can adjust ride height and rebound on this one.

im no suspension expert maybe someone else will come along with more info, i believe these are sprung a lot heavier than the standard honda ones.

im only 63 kg so it shouldn't be to bad.

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

as they are off the shelf dont think you can specify spring rate, got to move up to the more expensive models for that, can adjust ride height and rebound on this one.

im no suspension expert maybe someone else will come along with more info, i believe these are sprung a lot heavier than the standard honda ones.

Thanks for the information. 

Maybe some time in the future you could post a bit of a review on it?

Thank you.

On 11/11/2016 at 7:33 PM, taninthai said:

I assume that at 63kg you are not 6 foot tall, how do get on with that saddle height off-road? My Lifan has a good seat height for me and off-road I can get my feet planted, if necessary, that option giving a great sense of security. The high seat height issue is always something that put me off buying the Honda, which as I have said is a good bike.

A few years ago I got the chance to buy a minter for 95k (didn't have the money), the shortish guy who bought it had it lowered and lost much of that nice long stroke suspension.