Honda CRF 250L

ad61

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before but a Dutch couple have been riding around the world on two Honda CRF250Ls. Someone probably mentioned it before. 

I saw this on Facebook from Aug 2016: "Yes, we passed the 100,000 km! Since we left Holland in December 2013 we rode our nifty 250's through 47 countries on 5 continents. And we are not home yet... Proud of our strong Honda CRF250L's. Small Bikes, Big Adventures." 

http://amsterdamtoanywhere.nl/en/

Amsterdam toanywhere on Facebook

I couldn't find any videos by them. 

I know you didn't ask me as such but I must say...irc tyres are not the best. Far from it really. They are generally the budget tyre that the big bike companies throw on their bikes to keep selling price lower than possible competitors.

If riding mainly on the road then you could pick up a budget set of Pirelli Night Dragons for around 3000 baht.  But if you want a combination tyre then Vee Rubber do VRM163s for about 4000 a set.

Both are a lot cheaper than the top end tyre that professionals use but for day to day use they are good tyres.  Just my opinion mind!

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Bought them thru Nat Motors when I purchased the CRF. 17" Racer Boy rims, tires mounted, all in 14,000 baht

quick.jpg

Did you CFR come with 21/18 and you had them re-laced @ 17" rims?

CFR came with 21x18, i guess.  

Good idea having another set of wheels available

depending upon mission..

"Dual-Sportier"

papa prefer the 21" front tho,

in case of accidentally slam of pot-hole or 

dog or sum thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2017 at 11:33 AM, canthai55 said:

Stock came with knobbies - still never seen the road. Complete.

17" wheels came as hubs with bearings and seals installed, spokes and nipples and rim installed and trued, tires and tubes mounted and balanced. 14K

have you still got the full set off 18 and 21 inch wheels that came with bike then........i might be looking for 2nd set ..keep one set with road tyres on and have the others set up with off road.

56 minutes ago, taninthai said:

have you still got the full set off 18 and 21 inch wheels that came with bike then........i might be looking for 2nd set ..keep one set with road tyres on and have the others set up with off road.

Still have them - but keeping them. My BIL has a bit of land in the mountains. Raises bees. Need knobbies to get there.

• 1 month later...

I got the new Rally to replace my old 250L. I really like it, seems to have a better more imposing feel on the road than the old one, and looks great.

Might be just the thrill of having a new toy but so far a worthwhile upgrade. Haven't been off-road yet.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/7/2017 at 12:18 PM, Goldbear said:

Have any of you bought a 2017 yet, to use with knobbies (dirt & road)? If anyone has and would be willing to share their experience, I'd love to hear it. Thanks. 

Bought one this month, told it's the 2018 model. I bought for mainly road use but use some trail path shortcuts through woodland areas and farmland as I do with the scoot.

Will wear out the IRC knobbies which look extreme for road but found them OK on the road even at a brief 137 k to my surprise. 

Front GP - 21 Fz  Rear GP - 22 R  hope to get something like Dunlop Trailmax road tyres at similar sizes.

Edited by Kwasaki

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Bought one this month, told it's the 2018 model. I bought for mainly road use but use some trail path shortcuts through woodland areas and farmland as I do with the scoot.

Will wear out the IRC knobbies which look extreme for road but found them OK on the road even at a brief 137 k to my surprise. 

Front GP - 21 Fz  Rear GP - 22 R  hope to get something like Dunlop Trailmax road tyres at similar sizes.

Do you like it so far? Any differences with the 2018 model? Congrats. 

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Have a set of trailmax with only 400km on if you're interested?

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

Edited by BBJ

2 hours ago, Goldbear said:

Do you like it so far? Any differences with the 2018 model? Congrats. 

Yeah it's cool for 250cc thumper it's very different for me after the Versys 650.

l like the difference in weight no responsibility in that respect.

The bike is the 2018 spec and colour for the CRF250L has a few changes, new exhaust headers, new ECU, 38mm throttle bodies and some other small things. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BBJ said:

Have a set of trailmax with only 400km on if you're interested?

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

Thanks but I think the knobbies will take a good while for me to wear out but nice to know I can get a road tyre in the same sizes of front & rear.

cheers :thumbsup:

https://bikerzbits.co.th/honda/crf250/crf250l/   :thumbsup:

Got my wish list sorted,  handguards look good,  maybe go for what looks the lesser rear rack of the 2, getting oil filters and oil filter gaskets.

Will get sump plug washers from dealer and see if there's more choices on the rear racks.

Had a few issues one was the front brake hose design sticking up high and up over the display unit, so cut cover tube down and re-routed.

There was oil dripping from the sump plug port hole on sump guard, so took off no other leaks was just the sump plug leak,  torque it and it's OK now.

Just noticed back wheel alignment is out too so will adjust that. 

For warranty, I take to the dealer I bought it from. Tell them to leave the chain alone - it is always too tight when I get the bike back. Carry tools in the top box, so pay bill, drive around the corner, park in the shade and make sure all bolts tight.

Got my rear rack from an independant shop that caters to the scooter crowd, but have a few things for CRF and KLX. Price better than dealer, and better quality. aluminum skid plate 1600, rear rack 1200.

Like this one RH side of page. Black steel

https://bikerzbits.co.th/honda/crf250/crf250l/luggage-racks-third-party-accessories/?p=2

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

For warranty, I take to the dealer I bought it from.

Well yeah I'll take it for the 500 kilo check just to see what they will do, other than that I don't have much faith in their ability.

You were right about chain.