Iraq: US general says 800-900 ISIL fighters killed in Mosul offensive

webfact

Iraq: US general says 800-900 ISIL fighters killed in Mosul offensive

Alasdair Sandford

606x341_347970.jpg

MOSUL: -- It was broad daylight – but judging from the darkened skies in Qayyarah, the Iraqi army could have been forgiven for thinking otherwise as they battled to retake towns and villages near Mosul from ISIL.

Miles of oil pipelines were still ablaze on Thursday, allegedly set alight by the Islamic State group, also known as Daesh.

An American general estimates that between 800 to 900 fighters from the militant group have been killed since the offensive began to regain control of Iraq’s second-largest city and the region around it.

General Joseph Votel, head of the US Central Command (Centcom) who has been visiting US troops in the area, told AFP that it was difficult to provide precise figures as ISIL fighters moved around in small groups, and were trying to melt into the population.

For now the offensive, launched on October 17 on three fronts – the east, north and south – is concentrating on areas surrounding Mosul, according to military authorities.

Progress has been rapid but stronger resistance is expected when Iraqi forces try to penetrate ISIL defence lines and enter the city where the extremists declared a “caliphate” in June 2014.

Iraqi forces have also been fighting off sniper fire and suicide car bombs.

An explosion was seen near Bashiqa mountain close to Mosul on Thursday as operations continued.

Turkey, which has a base there, has reportedly proposed that its forces take part in the coalition against the militants.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-28

3 hours ago, LawrenceChee said:

800-900 killed ; thousands more spawned in hatred ; no endgame of what's the Masterplan after the killings after the cities are re-taken

Sounds like the Iraq war again ....and lots of happy military Contractors & factories getting a fat Christmas bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Spot on, Lawrence.

It's the military-industrial complex that always comes out ahead... win or lose.

7 hours ago, LawrenceChee said:

800-900 killed ; thousands more spawned in hatred ; no endgame of what's the Masterplan after the killings after the cities are re-taken

Sounds like the Iraq war again ....and lots of happy military Contractors & factories getting a fat Christmas bonus

And thousands of innocent civilians will be free from IS on Christmas day. Not a bad bonus.

whatever was said about SADDAM HUSSAIN, never had this problem when he was in power, i remember an old lady saying, "at least when SADDAM was our leader, i could go to the market without fear of being blown to bits"  you can thank Tony Blair and the lieing USA for these problems. (weapons of mass destruction,my ass)

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

whatever was said about SADDAM HUSSAIN, never had this problem when he was in power, i remember an old lady saying, "at least when SADDAM was our leader, i could go to the market without fear of being blown to bits"  you can thank Tony Blair and the lieing USA for these problems. (weapons of mass destruction,my ass)

Perhaps you could go to the market without fear of being blown up.  But you had many more problems. Saddam wasn't a saint.

http://history1900s.about.com/od/saddamhussein/a/husseincrimes.htm

Saddam Hussein, the president of Iraq from 1979 until 2003, gained international notoriety for torturing and murdering thousands of his own people. Hussein believed he ruled with an iron fist to keep his country, divided by ethnicity and religion, intact. However, his actions bespeak a tyrannical despot who stopped at nothing to punish those who opposed him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Saddam_Hussein's_Iraq

Iraq's era under President Saddam Hussein was notorious for its severe violations of human rights. Secret police, torture, mass murder, rape, deportations, forced disappearances, assassinations, chemical warfare, and the destruction of southern Iraq's marshes were some of the methods the country's Ba'athist government used to maintain control. The total number of deaths related to torture and murder during this period are unknown. Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International issued regular reports of widespread imprisonment and torture.

And thousands of innocent civilians will be free from IS on Christmas day. Not a bad bonus.

Let's hope your optimism holds true ....the practical man in me don't believe it will be happening

Isis is moving human shields back into Mosul today as the west lets up some efforts over the weekend

This is the problem in many ways as the west lacks resolve to eradicate Isis and also have no Long term plans ...this means the terrorists wins knowing there is time to regroup later and retreat first to give the USA the media victory moments and then coming back to strike you

During Saddam's time , the human rights group was giving him grieve for the treatments , rape etc but it kept the terrorists group running with real fear and they had little chances of plotting and planning terrorist acts as they busy saving their families from the brutalities ...they understood this well and this is their culture

If the measure of success in this ME crisis is every human right must be respected etc , then Isis has already won and will continue to win as we are dealing with an enemy that does not respect it and politically intelligent enough to adjust the human mind frame to Ensure the "west" needs to engage in a correct war tactics etc while they don't have to respect it.

USA has never pressured Saudi for their daily human rights violation because its a strategic oil ally and that's hypocrisy ....

4 hours ago, LawrenceChee said:

Let's hope your optimism holds true ....the practical man in me don't believe it will be happening

It's already happening.  Watching emotional civilians showing their gratitude to the Iraqi troops on TV. Christmas came early this year.

Still lots of problems,  still more civilians being killed,  but some are now free after years of persecution.

You keep blaming the West. It's a complicated situation involving several different countries. Iran and Saudi Arabia are the big problems these days. Can't blame the West for every problem in the world.

It's already happening.  Watching emotional civilians showing their gratitude to the Iraqi troops on TV. Christmas came early this year.

Still lots of problems,  still more civilians being killed,  but some are now free after years of persecution.

You keep blaming the West. It's a complicated situation involving several different countries. Iran and Saudi Arabia are the big problems these days. Can't blame the West for every problem in the world.

You are too sensitive on this ...this Middle east mess was internal and contained until it became forced western participation and diplomatically a mess now to solve

On 28/10/2016 at 0:15 AM, LawrenceChee said:

On 28/10/2016 at 6:32 AM, craigt3365 said:

The important thing is this : the ISIS guys in Mosul must not be in a situation where they escape or leave Mosul. IF they leave Mosul, if they break out of Mosul, then, they will probably go to Syria. And in Syria, they will meet up with ISIS guys in Syria, and join in with the rebellion against Assad.

This will just pro-long the rebellion in Syria. We all want to see the rebellion/war in Syria ending.

On 29/10/2016 at 11:06 AM, craigt3365 said:

Can't blame the West for every problem in the world.

Maybe not. But Iraq sure is the mess of US intervention and lies. Cannot blame Iran and Saudi Arabia for the US invasion in Iraq.

The ME has been a mess for centuries.

You are right for centuries their fights were internal and they were killing themselves and never extending beyond their borders

Now the mess is extended to every frontier because we keep arming them with more sophisticated weapons ...before with crap Russian rifles it was limited damage and killings

Now we introduced them to chemical weapons , artillery , military tactics , communication systems , radar and tacking systems and hence more complex to contain

9 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Or religion.

This got nothing to do with religion. Libya, Syria and Iraq were peaceful nations for decades under Assad, Qaddafi and Saddam, try to figure out who deposed them and why.

“We’re going to take out seven countries in 5 years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran”  - US General Wesley Clark. U.S. Army general, Supreme Allied Commander of NATO - 2007.

"the US brutal military alliance has become the most perfidious instrument of repression the history of humanity has known." - Fidel Castro.

The Independent : We finally know what Hillary Clinton knew all along – US allies Saudi Arabia and Qatar are funding ISIS.

Edited by marcofunny

9 hours ago, marcofunny said:

This got nothing to do with religion. Libya, Syria and Iraq were peaceful nations for decades under Assad, Qaddafi and Saddam, try to figure out who deposed them and why.

“We’re going to take out seven countries in 5 years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran”  - US General Wesley Clark. U.S. Army general, Supreme Allied Commander of NATO - 2007.

"the US brutal military alliance has become the most perfidious instrument of repression the history of humanity has known." - Fidel Castro.

The Independent : We finally know what Hillary Clinton knew all along – US allies Saudi Arabia and Qatar are funding ISIS.

It's always been a bit about religion, but mainly about power.  Both Iraq and Syria were run by a religious minority.  The majority didn't like it,  thus the brutal crackdowns by those in power.  Thus, the reason for the uprising in Syria.  I guess as an outsider,  these countries seemed peaceful.  Read about the atrocities committed by those in power.  Might change your thinking a bit,  hopefully.

The Wesley quote was never verified. He even said this when pushed. He was trying to sell his book! LOL

http://www.salon.com/2007/10/12/wesley_clark/

During the Blitzer interview, Clark backed off slightly, conceding that the memo “wasn’t [necessarily] a plan. Maybe it was a think piece.

A quote from Castro?  Really?  Ever been to Cuba? Talk about repression.

Its been documented for a long time Iran and SA are funding terrorists. And pushing for regime changes in neighboring countries.  For power,  and religion. Great read here.

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/4/10708682/sunni-shia-iran-saudi-arabia-war