Pin to make grounded plug

mikejphuket

I have a few small appliances, bought in Thailand that have plugs with 2 round prongs. These plugs also have a hole which is obviously for a grounding prong. Is it possible to buy a prong to make the Ground? If so, any idea where? I have tried largest electrical contracting shop in Phuket and my mee. 

1477625428375-2002804238.jpg

3 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

That's called a Schuko plug and no you cannot put a pin in to use in a normal grounded socket.  If your appliance is Class-1, easiest way is ^.  If the appliance is Class-2, you don't really need the ground anyway.

As far as I'm aware Homepro sells adapters with 1 pin for these Schuko plugs

33 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The problem with those adapters is they take up too much room so only one outlet of a normal duplex outlet is usable for a grounded plug if used.  

But they have the advantage that they don't invalidate the warranty.

Even the moulded TIS plugs won't fit two in a duplex outlet :(

TIS166-2549.jpg

I think the reason that manufacturers use the Schuko plug is that they can meet the requirement of having a 3 pin grounded plug on their product but it  can still be plugged into the ungrounded 2 pin sockets without an adapter!

2 minutes ago, wayned said:

I think the reason that manufacturers use the Schuko plug is that they can meet the requirement of having a 3 pin grounded plug on their product but it  can still be plugged into the ungrounded 2 pin sockets without an adapter!

Once upon a time (2008) it was to be made illegal to supply anything other than a TIS166-2549 plug on an appliance.

The manufacturers asked for more time, here we are in 2016 ...

Many Thai can not figure out which way to plug them in - have to admit I have had to look closely at times.  But they are still rare here.  Much prefer the simple shape of molded US type plug as you know by feel where the ground is.

77d7e3c4cc69a9e04083f1e7d6f33ef9.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Many Thai can not figure out which way to plug them in - have to admit I have had to look closely at times.  But they are still rare here.  Much prefer the simple shape of molded US type plug as you know by feel where the ground is.

And the ground pins just snap off if you have only 2-pin outlets, problem solved.

Yep, been there done that!!! Entire computer room in the school where I worked many moons ago was wired with two pin sockets.  All of the brand new computers had the supply cords with the US plugs.  At the end of the day ,after all were installed, there was a box of ground pins left over!

• Like 1

On 10/28/2016 at 2:33 PM, Crossy said:

Once upon a time (2008) it was to be made illegal to supply anything other than a TIS166-2549 plug on an appliance.

The manufacturers asked for more time, here we are in 2016 ...

It's like the helmet law grace period, which lasts about 20 year by now

26 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

Buy them online

https://www.directtoshop.com/product/161248

image for ADAPTER WA-GF(R5B) WONPRO from DirectToshop.com

Not a friendly site in my experience - they used to provide inventory status in each store but dropped that a few months ago when they tried to operate under another web site name.  To buy you need a credit card and my local cards are just debit.  They they have up to several weeks to deliver?  Total nonsense IMHO  

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

Buy them online

https://www.directtoshop.com/product/161248

image for ADAPTER WA-GF(R5B) WONPRO from DirectToshop.com

Your link brings up a page that says the product is currently out of stock. You can only "pre-order" and Directtoshop will let you know if/when they will be available again. I have my doubts that HomePro is really still selling them since all 15 Wonpro products on their website are only available for "pre-order" and the date stamps on the product pictures all seem to be several years old. Maybe Home Pro doesn't sell Wonpro products any more?

I have been looking for these for about three years since I first saw Crossy mention them, but they have not been available at any of the Home Pro shops I have visited. Have anyone seen them for sale anywhere recently?

Sophon

28 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Your link brings up a page that says the product is currently out of stock. You can only "pre-order" and Directtoshop will let you know if/when they will be available again. I have my doubts that HomePro is really still selling them since all 15 Wonpro products on their website are only available for "pre-order" and the date stamps on the product pictures all seem to be several years old. Maybe Home Pro doesn't sell Wonpro products any more?

I have been looking for these for about three years since I first saw Crossy mention them, but they have not been available at any of the Home Pro shops I have visited. Have anyone seen them for sale anywhere recently?

Sophon

I have seen them in Home Pro central Pattaya less than a month ago, but I agree that the times they are available are rare.

43 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Sophon

Sadly it looks like HomePro have stopped the Wonpro range, every one of the WonPro items I looked at are pre-order only :(

The pukka Shuko outlets also seem to have vanished from stocks :(

So if you need these and see them, buy up the stock.

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

Sadly it looks like HomePro have stopped the Wonpro range, every one of the WonPro items I looked at are pre-order only :(

The pukka Shuko outlets also seem to have vanished from stocks :(

So if you need these and see them, buy up the stock.

Or just cutoff the plug and put on a standard three prong plug!  I recommend HACO, they were available at the Tesco in Chainat until someone, me., cleared out their stock,5, and they haven't restocked yet.  They also have a very sturdy two prong plug, both with little cute LEDs!

1 minute ago, wayned said:

Or just cutoff the plug and put on a standard three prong plug!  I recommend HACO, they were available at the Tesco in Chainat until someone, me., cleared out their stock,5, and they haven't restocked yet.  They also have a very sturdy two prong plug, both with little cute LEDs!

Yup ^^^. Those Haco plugs are very nice and they let the cord fall parallel to the wall (you do need to have the outlet the right way up mind).

BUT chopping off the plug may well invalidate your warranty :(

I like to keep appliances in original condition at least until the warranty is up. I have a few of the adaptors which move around as new appliances need them, older appliances get Haco plugs.

• Like 1

Schuko sockets are almost as rare as adapters and a lot harder for the normal person to install than an adapter.  

เต้ารับบ๊อกซ์ลอยสำหรับปลั๊กเยอรมัน "SCHUKO" ยี่ห้อ HACO แบบเดี่ยว

Yes the hole is a ground connection the same as bands on side - it fits a socket pin in some countries, like France.

qingtai$722162956.jpg

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1