THAI EDITORIAL: Will the Alpine ghost be put to rest forever? 

webfact

Will the Alpine ghost be put to rest forever?
By The Nation

Land grabbing by those in power is a major cause of political ills

BANGKOK: -- Another scandal that is emblematic of the major ills plaguing Thai politics has been dug up and put on show. By arraigning former Pheu Thai Party leader Yongyuth Wichaidith over the Alpine Golf Course controversy, the Supreme Court has instigated a public review of a case that is marked by greed, abuse of political power in blatant defiance of the law, plus further abuse of power to cover up the original malfeasance.

Nuem Chamnarnchatsakda donated her 924 rai of land to Thammika Voraviharn Temple through a 1969 will. Thanks to the temple’s willingness to cash in on the land, it was sold to a foundation in 1990 despite legal restrictions against such a change of ownership. The controversial transfer took place when Snoh Thienthong was deputy interior minister in charge of the Land Department. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/today_editorial/30298752

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-31

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The Shin fan boys are quiet on this one. Wonder why?

Because he was voted in.. that means he can do what he wants and should only be judged by people who vote (red democracy). That is why i say Thailand has no real democracy and the junta is not that much different then a voted in government. 

Now if we get a democratic government that does not enrich themselves and bend / break the rules I would fully support it but PTP for sure is an example of a "fake" democracy ... voting only.. nothing else.

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

Because he was voted in.. that means he can do what he wants and should only be judged by people who vote (red democracy). That is why i say Thailand has no real democracy and the junta is not that much different then a voted in government. 

Now if we get a democratic government that does not enrich themselves and bend / break the rules I would fully support it but PTP for sure is an example of a "fake" democracy ... voting only.. nothing else.

I wonder...what is the purpose of the rules of Law?

Do whatever he wants,... I had always thought that elected officials can only do whatever they want "within the rules of Law".

So, an elected village headman has the office on a life term, and can do whatever he wants, because he was voted in?

30 minutes ago, trogers said:

I wonder...what is the purpose of the rules of Law?

Do whatever he wants,... I had always thought that elected officials can only do whatever they want "within the rules of Law".

So, an elected village headman has the office on a life term, and can do whatever he wants, because he was voted in?

That is the problem here in Thailand.. they think once they are voted in they can do whatever they want. No respect for the law. But it goes beyond politicians ... you see it everywhere civil servants that are so sure of their job they do as they please.. look no further at the police.. 

Well, why blame Dr. Thaksin. He got 924 rai of pristine land (golf course) at THB 500 million; that is just a little more than half a million per rai (1'600m2). 
That's what my wife paid the other day for a plot of land in the sticks of Isan without any road or utility access. 

The difference in the deal with that Dr. Thaksin was smart to purchase that plot in Pathumthani's Khong Luang district and not 700 kms away from Bangkok :smile:

Regardless of the political toing and froing that's guaranteed to ensure it will be a long time before this ghost is finally put to rest, one has to also question the ethics of those at the Thammika Voraviharn Temple.

As reported, this whole affair stems from the "...temple’s willingness to cash in on the land, it was sold to a foundation in 1990 despite legal restrictions against such a change of ownership...".

What a poor attempt to justify coups. If coup is necessary to rid corruption then let's have a coup every other month or year because corruption is that rampant. Of course some corruptions are never to be discussed less investigated. What provision in the law to look into military corruption. No, we don't need coup to rid corruption but need judiciary reform and non-political corruption agencies and judges.

9 hours ago, bokningar said:

Yet an other story where monks and politicians don't care about the law :coffee1:

As usual it is all about the money :clap2:

With a warning! Never get between a Thai politician and a pile of money.

11 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, why blame Dr. Thaksin. He got 924 rai of pristine land (golf course) at THB 500 million; that is just a little more than half a million per rai (1'600m2). 
That's what my wife paid the other day for a plot of land in the sticks of Isan without any road or utility access. 

The difference in the deal with that Dr. Thaksin was smart to purchase that plot in Pathumthani's Khong Luang district and not 700 kms away from Bangkok :smile:

Your wifevseems to be on the dim side of things, or perhaps it's your money and it's you who is dim.

9 hours ago, ableguy said:

Your wifevseems to be on the dim side of things, or perhaps it's your money and it's you who is dim.

Seriously glad you mentioned that - valuable contribution indeed ;-)

That plot of land is that bad that one side it borders the Mekong river - how stupid of me 8-). 

Edited by Sydebolle