Do any of you like traveling (or living) in Eastern Europe?

Goldbear

Hello everyone.

Do any of you like traveling or living in Eastern Europe? Do any of you live in Thailand part of the year and travel/live in Eastern Europe the other part of the year?

In 2013 I went to Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Hungary. In 2014 I went to western Ukraine. Both were great trips. Both were in the summer. I love that general area around the Carpathian mountains.

I am in early “retirement.” I’d like to go back to Eastern Europe next summer, maybe for the entire summer. I’d like to “slow travel” and live a few places for a month or more. I haven’t done that yet.

How about you?

Craig3365?

Thanks. Take care.

As you know,  I love Eastern Europe. For a variety of reasons. My last remaining country to visit is Slovenia. I'm typing this while drinking great Serbian beer, listening to their music and eating some fantastic food here in Belgrade. The bummer is it's getting cold! Winters are brutal in this part of the world!

I think you get more bang for your buck,  or euro. LOL Last night, in Bulgaria,  we had a great meal with many drinks and an excellent staff for $15. Surrounded by mountains,  rivers and fall colored trees. Rental car with full insurance was $30. Nice hotel was $28.

I think one of the most impressive countries is Estonia. Latvia is pretty cool. Budapest is amazing. I've not made it yet to Western Ukraine,  but would love to go.

No offense,  but not sure I'll be back to Moldova or Belarus.

The people,  for the most part,  are real friendly. In all our travels,  we've never had a problem. Including renting cars and driving all over. A great part of the world to explore!

Some of my favs. Southern Poland (Zakopane), Krakow is neat. Split in Croatia. Lake Orhid in Macedonia.  Great wine. Armenia is great,  especially Yerevan. Georgia is great. Budapest would be a great place to hang out for a long time. Veliko Tarnovo in Bulgaria is pretty darn cool, as is Plovdiv.

Whew! 5555

7 hours ago, dddave said:

Is English spoken and understood in most areas?

Much more so than here in Thailand!  A few problems, but they are one offs.  Overall, many more speak English there than do here.  TV channels in your hotel tend to have many English language stations.  Some, a lot!

"In 2013 I went to Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Hungary. In 2014 I went to western Ukraine. Both were great trips. Both were in the summer. I love that general area around the Carpathian mountains "

If you check any map you will soon realize that neither Hungary, nor Poland belong to East Europe. Slovakia is just a fluff, but not in the East European region. Other issue is that these countries could "enjoy" the experiment to build a sand castle, led by the USSR. 

19 minutes ago, Honthy said:

"In 2013 I went to Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Hungary. In 2014 I went to western Ukraine. Both were great trips. Both were in the summer. I love that general area around the Carpathian mountains "

If you check any map you will soon realize that neither Hungary, nor Poland belong to East Europe. Slovakia is just a fluff, but not in the East European region. Other issue is that these countries could "enjoy" the experiment to build a sand castle, led by the USSR. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Europe

The United Nations Statistics Division developed a selection of geographical regions and groupings of countries and areas, which are or may be used in compilation of statistics. In this collection, the following ten countries were classified as Eastern Europe:[10][11]Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, and Ukraine.

I have visited many Eastern European places

Erith,Dartford,Lewisham,Catford,East London,Deptford,Newcross,Forest Hill,and many more.

I have sat and watched the delightful customs these people have,like 30 of them being dropped off by a van in Bexley Heath to visit Marks and Spencer's,Primark,and other stores where they can practice their quaint customs and wonderful magic tricks like making things disappear.

Love em to bits,are there any here yet(excluding Russians)

I like the Balkans - especially Serbia where people really know how to have fun.  Good food and cheap - good beer and cheap - beautiful countryside - great night life.  And some interesting music both modern and traditional - very nice people -  Check out this video from the Guca Trumpet Festival in the Serbian Mountains

Just back from Belgrade.  We really like that city.  Probably the best of our trip, though Budapest was very cool also.  Just a bit too touristy for me.  Belgrade was down to earth.  Reasonable.  Great food, beer, wine, very interesting restaurants.  As you say, very nice people.

A bit rushed, so didn't make it anywhere in Serbia other than there.  Hopefully we will on our next trip!  When it's a bit warmer! LOL  Then to Slovenia for some hiking!

Looks like a great concert!

oh memories, i travelled in yugoslavia and belgrade as a young backpacker on an inter rail ticket back in '81/'82 it was quite an experience; a lot of grey concrete, empty shop shelves, but very friendly people as i remember

more recently i've been to poland, and have may polish friends, and croatia, lovely countries and people, recommended.

Traveled extensively round Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania, Bulgaria, Berlin, before and after the events of the wall.

Did it again with the wife a couple of years a ago. some of those country's have split in different parts now.

Always had great times traveling there. food and accommodation is inexpensive outside touristic places.

Woman and girls where incredible beautiful. I remember a hotel in Bratislava were the lobby was filled with gorgeous woman at the end of the afternoon. It looked like a convention of top models,..

It was a hell of a difficult choice, but you could pick out the one you fantasized about and spend the whole night with her !!! for a 100 $ us....!!! ...those were the days.

Bulgaria- 05.jpg

Romania- 05.jpg

Varna- Bulgaria- 05.jpg

Romania- 01.jpg

Bulgaria- Rusian helikcopter- 06.jpg

Bulgaria- 010.jpg

Edited by off road pat

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

As we know well, there  are lies, big lies, and statistics.  But if I search the definition of Europe it says to me :  "Europe's eastern frontier is delineated by the Ural Mountains in Russia. " Next step we have to take a map and a ruler and we can easily be convinced that the location of Hungary and Poland is in the middle.  Another issue is that because of some political reason we had East and West Europe, but it had political reason only, and it because to popular error. But geography is still clear, t shows us the exact location, without any politic.
Actually, I lived in Hungary and Austria. If Hungary is on the East side of Europe, Austria too, and I dare say people were friendly and cooperative. Even now, you can spend some time 

Edited by Honthy

17 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Just back from Belgrade.  We really like that city.  Probably the best of our trip, though Budapest was very cool also.  Just a bit too touristy for me.  Belgrade was down to earth.  Reasonable.  Great food, beer, wine, very interesting restaurants.  As you say, very nice people.

A bit rushed, so didn't make it anywhere in Serbia other than there.  Hopefully we will on our next trip!  When it's a bit warmer! LOL  Then to Slovenia for some hiking!

Looks like a great concert!

'we' do you ever talk for yourself?

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Ummm...."we" would include myself....

Oh I see, I thought you might have meant the royal 'we' :-)

Back on topic, I (I) really like Eastern Europe too, but haven't been to that many countries since I live in Thailand, but I do travel and hope to get to Budapest in the near future..

1 minute ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Oh I see, I thought you might have meant the royal 'we' :-)

Back on topic, I (I) really like Eastern Europe too, but haven't been to that many countries since I live in Thailand, but I do travel and hope to get to Budapest in the near future..

Spend at least 4 days there.  Get a guide book as it really helps.  I rented an apartment for $70 that was right on the river, right near all the action, metro, tram, etc.  Fantastic as "we" (LOL) would bring home leftovers and have them the next day.  They give you way too much food in these countries!

Prague is nice, and affordable. My favourite is Eastern Slovakia. Take the train from Prague down through the Tatra mountains to Eastern Slovakia, river valleys with castles purchased on cliff tops, while fly fishermen try to catch trout in the fast flowing water. Ice caves in the mountains, ski runs and spas near Strbske Pleso high in the Tatras, fantastic walking country where you can walk all day and see hardly anyone, Herlany geyser near Kosice (nothing like old faithful, but where can you find one in Europe?) smashing food and good beer and wine. If not for Thailand and a jealous ex-wife, i might have been there instead .....

17 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

Ive done a trip to Eastern E. The best was hiking in the mountains of Romania during the summer. I think Russia is not worth a visit. Its a strange culture and odd people. 

I did the Trans siberian several years ago.  30 days in total.  What an amazing journey.  Did several homestays which were fantastic.  My fondest memory was sitting in a guys basement jamming to old rock tunes and drinking vodka till the wee hours.  He spoke no English, I spoke very little Russian.  We had a blast.  I got several memories similar to this.

The worst people were the old ladies selling tickets at the train stations!  Wow....