Cod and Haddock

Cardano

For the last few years I've been buying frozen Norweign and Icelandic cod and haddock from an importer in Bangkok at around 600 baht per kilo. Unfortunately the last couple of batchs after thawing I've discovered that there's a weight loss of around 20%.

So now looking for an alternative supplier in the pattaya area and would appreciate any recommendations.

Friendship and Siamburi's both stock frozen cod fillets, and I've seen haddock on occasion in Siamburi's. They also have pollack fillets which are excellent if you like a nice, firm fish.

21 hours ago, Cardano said:

Unfortunately the last couple of batchs after thawing I've discovered that there's a weight loss of around 20%.

Sadly wherever you buy any prepacked food stuffs such as fish and meat there is 99% chance that you will find the same loss in thawed weight, this is because retail frozen food suppliers were given permission to add up to 20% water to these products under the guise of it being needed to ensure 100% freezing throughout the product, however I do not believe they were given permission to add this water content to the overall price at purchase but we all know that compliance is only ever short term and rapidly becomes the accepted norm until somebody manages to complain in the right direction.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Negita43 said:

From time to time I find Hadock (and Cod) in Macro - it is hit and miss but if you buy a lot might be worth talking to them.

I've given up on their cod, I now buy their Barramundi.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Many people on this site know of ;Nookie' and he can get stuff to you in Pattaya, He has cod although I find it a bit chewy, and he has haddock.

https://www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net/products.htm

I have bought off Nookie for year but I no longer buy cod (from anyone) for the reasons mentioned above.

I also found the cod to be chewy and after defrosting and cooking I reckon I lost 50% of the frozen weight. That made it a very expensive meal.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I've given up on their cod, I now buy their Barramundi.

Are you sure its Barramundi you get ?

A number of years ago in Aus, Sea Bass was sold as Barra, they are from the same family of fish  

Dried cod (bacala/bacalau) is popular in Mediterranean countries and some in South America, Brazil in particular.  Might be some entrepreneurial opportunity there.

ba1.jpg.df31745596ddf01919606c2458a1db34.jpg

42 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Are you sure its Barramundi you get ?

A number of years ago in Aus, Sea Bass was sold as Barra, they are from the same family of fish  

Not sure what point your trying to make. It is Asian sea bass if you want to be pedantic. 

But if you want to buy it in Macro it is called Barramundi, I'm aware Ozzy's have a problem with long words though, chuck some on a Barbie I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 

IMG_20240114_101807.thumb.jpg.174ffacf1a3dd7d498bb5e1ee89436e4.jpg

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not sure what point your trying to make. It is Asian sea bass if you want to be pedantic. 

But if you want to buy it in Macro it is called Barramundi, I'm aware Ozzy's have a problem with long words though, chuck some on a Barbie I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Barramundi is farmed either in fresh water or sea water. In Australia, most of it is sea water farmed. In Thailand it is pond farmed. Back in the day pla grapong was ocean caught but not now.

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Barramundi is farmed either in fresh water or sea water. In Australia, most of it is sea water farmed. In Thailand it is pond farmed. Back in the day pla grapong was ocean caught but not now.

I rally don't give a $**t where or how it is farmed, it still tastes good, a pinch of salt over the skin and pan fry, cook skin down first, add lemon juice. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

IMG_20240114_101807.thumb.jpg.174ffacf1a3dd7d498bb5e1ee89436e4.jpg

You seem to have a problem with short words; such as MaKro. 

• Confused 1

Most of the Cod , haddock you see for sale supposed to be from Iceland,

Norway, North Atlantic , is  Pacific Cod ,caught and processed  by Chinese

factories .

The Cod and haddock from Makro  looks very nice and price is very good,

but when you cook it it curls up ,and is about size of large goldfish , only

good for making fish cakes , I have bought it twice but never again ,don't

know how Chinese process it but its full of water.

regards worgeordie