How far many k can you get from a rear bike tyre.

toofarnorth

Hard question to answer. So many variables - brand of tyre, load on said tyre, inflation pressure, roads travelled on, speeds cruising, do you accelerate hard ?  My Dyna is hard on rear tyres - but I ride it like I stole it. CB650 not so much. But - end of the day - that tire is all that is keeping you upright on the road. I never let mine get worn to the wear bars, always replace before. Kind of like the question - how long is a piece of string ?

Anywhere between 0km (if you never use it and let it sit in the sun) to probably around 50k (for a hard compound touring tire that is kept in ideal conditions and not ridden hard but all the time).

As already mentioned, too many variables that can make the lifetime of a tire vary to huge degrees.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Hard question to answer. So many variables - brand of tyre, load on said tyre, inflation pressure, roads travelled on, speeds cruising, do you accelerate hard ?  My Dyna is hard on rear tyres - but I ride it like I stole it. CB650 not so much. But - end of the day - that tire is all that is keeping you upright on the road. I never let mine get worn to the wear bars, always replace before. Kind of like the question - how long is a piece of string ?

fold string in half

measure

multiply x 2.

OP

you answered your own question.

11,500,000 meters approx.

Edited by papa al

On 02/11/2016 at 3:07 AM, moose7117 said:

interesting question,

in oz I hade a zx12r and got @5000 k's from a rear tyre.

now I have a yahaha bolt done 11 000 and she is still going strong.

rob

I think it might have to do with the Road surfaces in OZ

As you know we have various types of Bitumen roads

Here some are Concrete roads

Plus maybe they have a different compound in the tyres

Too many variables to compare

Only can do with others with the same bike in same area

Different area different size of person too

One of my friends has over 8000 plus little wear  so he should get 25 000 Honda Click

IMHO

I don't usually ride hard. I generally get 20,000 - 30,000 kms from a back tyre and over 30,000 km for a front tyre. However, as many posters have pointed out, there are tons of variables.

Another variable to add to the mix : When the tyre starts getting old and the feeling of slight drift around corners comes in, how long before you call it a day and fork out the cash for a new tyre. For different riders and different wallet-owners, the difference could be over 10,000 kms when measured in tyre kms.