Need to stay 4 months

Hi all,

I was going to extend my Retirement Visa permission to stay from mid-November for 12 months.

The original Retirement Visa expired in Nov 2015 and the (almost) 12 month 'extension' by a border run has been done.

However, things have occurred that mean I will need to be back home in mid February 2017 for 3-4 months.

While there I will get a new Retirement Visa for when I come back again - and that will give me up to another 2 years in Thailand with an extension.

Therefore, rather than extend my current permission to stay (and pay about 5000 baht) I was hoping that there may be an easier and cheaper way to stay here for another 4 months.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Maybe a border run and a cheap extension of permission to stay?

I am from Australia and I think a border run would give me 3 months stay? Is that correct?

If it is correct, can that then be extended by another 1-2 months?

The fee for an extension of stay based upon retirement is 1900 baht not 5000 baht unless you are including the cost of a re-entry permit in the cost. A single re-entry permit is 1000 baht and multiple is 3800 baht.

You will only get a 15 day entry from a border run that can be extended for 30 days at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht. If you flew out and back you would get a 30 day entry.

You could get a tourist visa (1000 baht) at a nearby embassy or consulate that would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days (1900 baht).

• Like 2

Thanks Joe - much appreciated. You are right, I was including re-entry which I dont need now. For 1900 baht I will just extend current permission to stay, especially given all the trouble to go through just to get a few months. 

As I am sure many TV posters say this a lot - but I will say again anyway - thank you for being THE definitive source on Thailand Visa information.   

• Like 2

Good decision OP. Your new O-A (retirement visa) you mentioned obtaining once back in AU has its hurdles and costs as well. ie police check and having copies notorized. There was talk that the use of a JP do do this was being "discouraged". That will add to cost of obtaining one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bradenroger said:

Sir, if you don't want to get the multiple-entry visa just don't forget to get your single re-entry permit before you leave or you'll have to start all over again.  Best.

Yes and after you find out how easy it is to do the retirement extension here, you will want to do it that way. So yes by all means get the single reentry permit for one thousand baht.