Horrifying fatal crash caught on camera after minivan is knocked off road in Thailand

webfact

Well after watching Video 2,  I can only conclude that I wouldn't want some of you on my jury. Most of you would know Thailand has one of the worst road death tolls in the world, only beaten by a couple of war-torn African countries I think. Keep safe. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Boycie said:

From the slow motion video link that i posted, i've had a second look and i can see it was a motorcycle with the registration ขจก 861 ลพบุรี (Lopburi) and the lady rider that died was 50 years old. 

After i posted the link of what i thought was the original video, (so that you could also read the news report in Thai language and retract your 'absolute codswallop' comment instead of taking screenshots) i then found another video, with footage that started much earlier than the previous video's and posted that below.

RIP to the lady rider

I don't know what planet you're living on Boyce, but it's certainly not the one the video was filmed on. Where exactly do you see a motorbike on the opposite carriageway which is so distiguishable that you were able to read the number plate?

Also I'm beginning to ask myself whether you were the driver of the dashcam vehicle which was partly responsible for the accident.

And where is the news media report where it states that a 50 year old woman died as a result of this specific accident?

8 hours ago, gdgbb said:

The evidence of the motorcyclist on the other carriageway, directly in the line of the out of control van is pretty compelling.

And you know this how exactly? The only media reports which have been included in the OP make no mention of the death of a motorcyclist.

Im giving it a 6/10 must try harder,.......it gets to the point when its  nothing more than a ferking joke on the roads here.

I particularly admire the concrete posts laid  on the road between carriageways, yeah thatll save a few lives alright, cant see any danger there.

Wonder if it woke  up the Police in their box

Edited by kannot

On 11/2/2016 at 9:57 AM, wgdanson said:

So Mike, you mean that if you are doing the speed limit, you can stay in the fast lane regardless of other traffic?.

nah the real skill is to drive in that lane at 3  am with nothing else on the road at half speed and then when  someone comes up behind faster flashing their lights   to keep  giving an "im turning right in 200km" signal and then refuse  to move over

17 hours ago, Boycie said:

From the slow motion video link that i posted, i've had a second look and i can see it was a motorcycle with the registration ขจก 861 ลพบุรี (Lopburi) and the lady rider that died was 50 years old. 

After i posted the link of what i thought was the original video, (so that you could also read the news report in Thai language and retract your 'absolute codswallop' comment instead of taking screenshots) i then found another video, with footage that started much earlier than the previous video's and posted that below.

RIP to the lady rider

1 hour ago, Xircal said:

I don't know what planet you're living on Boyce, but it's certainly not the one the video was filmed on. Where exactly do you see a motorbike on the opposite carriageway which is so distiguishable that you were able to read the number plate?

Also I'm beginning to ask myself whether you were the driver of the dashcam vehicle which was partly responsible for the accident.

And where is the news media report where it states that a 50 year old woman died as a result of this specific accident?

Xircal i could see from the video that i posted because i read the information provided in Thai Langauge.

Click here for the video link. Just below where printed Published on 31st Oct 2016 click on 'see more'. There you will find the news report.

What planet am i living on? I sometimes wonder when i'm trying to help out on  :signthaivisa:

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Xircal i could see from the video that i posted because i read the information provided in Thai Langauge.

Click here for the video link. Just below where printed Published on 31st Oct 2016 click on 'see more'. There you will find the news report.

What planet am i living on? I sometimes wonder when i'm trying to help out on  :signthaivisa:

Looking at that 'report' it appears to be copied from a number of user comments on a Thai forum somewhere rather than from a factual media report. That's why it's divided into a number of paragraphs.

Anyway, I posted the title of the Youtube clip into Pantip.com and found evidence which seems to support your side of the story judging by the image of a motorbike lying on it's side close to the minivan. So I guess I owe you an apology.

I shall now place a very tall pointed hat on my head and go and stand in the corner.

accident_motorbike_involved.jpg

dunce.jpg

On 11/2/2016 at 6:52 AM, robertthebruce said:

This was actually reported in one of the UK Newspapers yesterday.....

word is getting around how dangerous it is to drive here in Thailand...

Probably  a non event on Thai media ,  life is cheap in LOS .

On 11/2/2016 at 5:51 AM, leeneeds said:

In the video you see a movable speed bollard  sign on the left protruding out from the shoulder of the access way,

1 )  The driver of the camera vehicle is traveling slower than the van , so that driver never used his mirror to see what was happening behind him / her , (courtesy to other road users , not here)

2) The driver of the silver car  could not judge distance  could not look ahead when he she sees the bollard coming up , their reaction to distance travelled towards the bollard causes them to panic and veer right into the van,

3) Van driver was also not using his  / her mirrors to see what was around them, no attempt by the mini van to apply the brake unless the brake lights were not working, 

All round a typical day driving in Thailand skill set and use of mirrors not evident, no idea to look ahead or behind 

The silver car hits a pot hole. This is what causes him to lose control.

Probably none of them noticed the large yellow warning sign flash by (right at the start of the video) that warned for caution ahead, replete with a large ! mark (government office or school ahead?)

001.jpg

The silver car was intent on passing on the 'hard' shoulder but either didn't see or totally misjudged the distance to a traffic stop/warning bollard sitting very close to the hard shoulder (outside a government office or school?) which he swerved to avoid, clipping the van.

002.jpg

Looks like the vans passenger side rear tire possibly blew out after the swerve onto the 'hard' shoulder but looking at the post-accident pictures, all 4 tires seem intact.

003.jpg

Edited by NanLaew