US Federal Reserve keeps borrowing costs unchanged

webfact

Federal Reserve keeps borrowing costs unchanged

606x341_348530.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- As expected, the Federal Reserve’s policymakers kept interest rates unchanged at their latest meeting and reinforced expectations for higher borrowing costs in December.

The US central bank’s rate-setting committee said the economy had gained steam and job gains remained solid. They also expressed more optimism that inflation was moving toward their 2.0 percent target.

Chair Janet Yellen had said in September that a move before the end of the year was likely if employment and inflation continued to strengthen.

The economy also has gained momentum, growing at a 2.9 percent annual pace in the third quarter after a fairly sluggish first half.

The financial markets are betting on a rate hike next month, though the presidential election complicates things.

Jeremy Stretch, Head of FX Strategy at CIBC, said: “We have to wait for the results of the election in the first instance and of course we can’t discount the election influence on Fed policy, even if the Fed would like to suggest that they’re relatively apolitical. But certainly looking at the data I think it would suggest there is sufficient momentum or impetus to drive up interest rates by another quarter point.”

In the statement issued after the meeting the Fed’s policymakers said: “The committee judges that the case for an increase … has continued to strengthen but decided, for the time being, to wait for some further evidence of continued progress toward its objectives.”

“You are still pointing to a December hike, they just didn’t pre-commit to it,” said John Canally, investment strategist and economist for LPL Financial in Boston.

It was thought extremely unlikely the central bank would make a change to the cost of borrowing just before the presidential election given the possible effects that an surprise rate hike would have on financial markets.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-03

December is one of those Sh or get off the pot moments. If they don't go they can kiss their A and credibility goodbye. Personally I think they have already done that but being of a HiSo mentality they cannot see this. Its one of those you cannot see the trees for the forest moments. Yes Janet whoever wins the election will keep you on as you have a tendency to "heel" when requested. Its time to audit you people and show the world what a sham you and your minions worldwide are. Your all like a bunch of regulars at a nudist camp no clothes no nothing. 

6 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

December is one of those Sh or get off the pot moments. If they don't go they can kiss their A and credibility goodbye. Personally I think they have already done that but being of a HiSo mentality they cannot see this. Its one of those you cannot see the trees for the forest moments. Yes Janet whoever wins the election will keep you on as you have a tendency to "heel" when requested. Its time to audit you people and show the world what a sham you and your minions worldwide are. Your all like a bunch of regulars at a nudist camp no clothes no nothing. 

You've got it backwards. The Fed runs the economy, it is the politicians that heel, sit up, roll over, beg and fetch as needed.

On November 3, 2016 at 2:30 PM, lannarebirth said:

You've got it backwards. The Fed runs the economy, it is the politicians that heel, sit up, roll over, beg and fetch as needed.

Yes and that would be the entire world economy. We have and will never have any Idea the people that run the show. The Rothschild's , Rockefeller's, yeah I'm sure they get invited to the big dance but I doubt they run it. The presidents and PM's don't get close to being invited. They are well compensated for their service as Pawns to the Group though. Illuminati? maybe, I'm sure they don't call themselves that.

7 hours ago, NovaBlue05 said:

I guess there is "no inflation" with the exception of such luxuries such as groceries, electricity and heat for my home and health insurance.

I remember a while back when people with your beliefs were touting the creations of something called the billion price index. It was going to use the internet to tally prices and so establish what the level of inflation really was.  Guess what? The billion price index very closely matches the index of the U.S. dept. of labor statistics.

http://bpp.mit.edu/usa/