Vietnamese Here Since French Era, Says PM

geovalin

Prime Minister Hun Sen yesterday stressed that ethnic Vietnamese have been living in Cambodia since the French colonial period and did not arrive only during his premiership. Speaking at a groundbreaking ceremony for a new road in Tbong Khmum province, the prime minister said it was the French who had first encouraged Vietnamese laborers to come to Cambodia to work on the rubber plantations, eventually accounting for 70 percent of all workers in the industry.

“Vietnamese don’t just stay in Cambodia in this generation, Vietnamese people were brought by France, [but people] have always blamed me,” he said. “There are no Vietnamese at Beoung Banhchhor lake, which at that time was full of Vietnamese. And the next generation blames only me.

“It’s the story, be careful with karma,” he warned. The topic of Mr. Hun Sen and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party’s (CPP) ties with Vietnam has long been a point of attack for opposition parties. The Cambodia National Rescue Party, whose anti-Vietnamese statements have been called xenophobic, has long accused the CPP of being puppets of the Vietnamese and of allowing Vietnam to steal land along the long border shared by the two countries.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/31627/vietnamese-here-since-french-era--says-pm/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 03/11

4 hours ago, Redline said:

His wife is from Vietnam correct?

His wife, Bun Rany, is Chinese-Khmer.

Hun Sen is a former Khmer Rouge who run to Vietnam, when the going got tough and joined a rebel group in support of the Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia.  As a thank you the Vietnamese put him into office, originally as deputy prime minister.

Hun Sen fails to acknowledge that the Vietnamese, living in Cambodia during the French era, were forced out during the Khmer Rouge era (along with all other foreigners) but have returned since his time in office, commencing in 1979.

Edited by Stray

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2016 at 10:29 PM, Stray said:

His wife, Bun Rany, is Chinese-Khmer.

Hun Sen is a former Khmer Rouge who run to Vietnam, when the going got tough and joined a rebel group in support of the Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia.  As a thank you the Vietnamese put him into office, originally as deputy prime minister.

Hun Sen fails to acknowledge that the Vietnamese, living in Cambodia during the French era, were forced out during the Khmer Rouge era (along with all other foreigners) but have returned since his time in office, commencing in 1979.

I just returned from visiting my friend in Cambodia.  I love the people there.  It's time for Mr. Sen to walk away from power.  The poor in Cambodia are suffering because of rampant corruption.  The economy has been growing at 6 percent, and there is no help for the average Cambodian.  The people responsible need to be stripped of their wealth and given to the people to do with what they wish.  The day will will come.  I hope to see it sooner than later.  Thanks for the info.

6 hours ago, Redline said:

I just returned from visiting my friend in Cambodia.  I love the people there.  It's time for Mr. Sen to walk away from power.  The poor in Cambodia are suffering because of rampant corruption.  The economy has been growing at 6 percent, and there is no help for the average Cambodian.  The people responsible need to be stripped of their wealth and given to the people to do with what they wish.  The day will will come.  I hope to see it sooner than later.  Thanks for the info.

As far as removing those in power, I couldn't agree more.  However, while they can make and retain their fortunes, they're going to remain in power.

*A beautiful country.  *Fantastic people.  Incredible to believe when their 'near' history is taken into account.

(*A disclaimer for any pedants that may read my comment.  This is a generalisation and does not apply to every single vista within the country.  Nor does my comment apply to every single individual living/residing in Cambodia.)