Is a flight ticket out of Thailand required at Saigon consulate?

Hi,

Would someone have updated info on obtaining a single entry tourist visa at the Thai Consulate in Saigon. I would just need to know if they require a flight ticket out of Thailand? I was there 2 years ago and they did not ask me to show a ticket out that time?

Ok thanks for this info. Did you really buy a ticket out of Thailand to show them or can you just book a ticket from one of those Thai travel agents that allow you to cancel within 7 days? Would they check that the ticket is really paid for or any kind of booking would be ok?

This is why I usually go to Vientiane (as they don't ask for ticket out of Thailand) because I don't want to buy any flight ticket for 3 months later.

Ok if that's the case I'll better go to Vientiane then because I really don't want to get any flight ticket out 3 months ahead as I wouldn't have any idea where I'd be going and how (by air or land etc). Just a shame that Vientiane seems to be the only place left where you can get a SETV without flight ticket out of Thailand. Would much rather go to Saigon for a few days and avoid the crowds and hassle in Laos.

33 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Ok if that's the case I'll better go to Vientiane then because I really don't want to get any flight ticket out 3 months ahead as I wouldn't have any idea where I'd be going and how (by air or land etc). Just a shame that Vientiane seems to be the only place left where you can get a SETV without flight ticket out of Thailand. Would much rather go to Saigon for a few days and avoid the crowds and hassle in Laos.

You can buy a low cost one way ticket to a nearby country from any airport here to satisfy the ticket out requirement. Buying it in advance you can find one for around 1000 baht (check Air Asia for flights to KL).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The consulate will accept a bus or train ticket showing exit from Thailand but you probably wouldn't be able to check in for your flight without a paid for onward ticket

Have you done this, because that certainly is not my experience. In fact never heard of that before. The consulate insists upon FLIGHT out. Also anyone with a visa as per the intent of this OP will NOT be refused boarding plane. That applies to folk intending to obtain VE stamp on arrival. And yes many airlines may refuse boarding.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacksam said:

Have you done this, because that certainly is not my experience. In fact never heard of that before. Also anyone with a visa as per the intent of this OP will NOT be refused boarding plane. That applies to folk intending to obtain VE stamp on arrival. And yes many airlines may refuse boarding.

You're right, with a visa you should not be denied boarding.

The HCMC consulate told me that they would accept a bus, train or 'plane ticket a proof of exit from Thailand.

Thanks for the info and as Ubonjoe said it's true that I could just buy the cheapest Air Asia ticket out of Thailand within the 90 days visa validity. Normally I would go to Vientiane where they don't ask for any flight tickets but I'm bored with the crowded embassy there. Probably would just go to Saigon for a change.

Actually this year I've had a problem every time I left Thailand for a week or longer and flied back without visa (visa exempt only). I've gone on holidays every few months (Dubai, Taipei etc) and during check in at the foreign airports they have always questioned me about returning to Thailand without a visa or return ticket. I did not actually understand why they were questioning me about that but now that you mentioned it maybe it's common? These were airline check in staff and they always seemed a bit confused. I always thought that they don't know that I can enter Thailand with visa exempt (30+30 days). Every time I told them that it's ok that I have a right to enter Thailand with VE without any additional documents (visas or return ticket etc.) . After explaining this at check in I never had more problems but I was wondering very much why they asked these questions. 

They ask the questions because its airline policy for many airlines that if your entering via flight to obtain visa exempt entry they require onward flight. Not always enforced. AA often does to name one. Side example...Thai get 15 day visa exempt to Japan. I take the Thai gf OFTEN. Every time they ask to see the onward flight. The airline is responsible to return you if you are not admitted to country your entering. 

Aside from all that. Saigon is fab  place. I go every several weeks. BTW zero wait time at Thai consulate. Nice break from wonderful Thailand. Cheap booze.

If you really do not want to show an onward ticket out of Thailand, I have been told they will accept printed bank statements (NOT cash) instead. It is not clear how much they would want to see in the account. If you have a healthy balance, you could try that first, and buy a ticket online, if necessary, if my information is outdated.

4 minutes ago, jacksam said:

Britim you may be correct, however Saigon seemed to fall in line with few other consulates as per Bali where onward flight is required. Thinking the op is after definitive advice rather than perhaps. 

If he is not up against time pressure, I cannot see trying the bank statement option before falling back on the throw-away ticket would hurt. I definitely do not think HCMC is comparable to Bali. The requirements there are much more onerous.

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If he is not up against time pressure, I cannot see trying the bank statement option before falling back on the throw-away ticket would hurt. I definitely do not think HCMC is comparable to Bali. The requirements there are much more onerous.

They have never been interested in my bank statements in HCMC, they are more interested in airtickets.

Yes, both the flight into Thailand and an exit flight out. Printed copies of these tickets will

be needed as part of the application. The consulate is very efficient. If you arrive with

all the forms filled out (available on line) you will be there just a few minutes while they

check them out to make sure you have filled the form fully and correctly, and the same for

pick up the next day. Enjoy Saigon (HCMC) both beautiful and inexpensive. :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Ok thanks for this info. Did you really buy a ticket out of Thailand to show them or can you just book a ticket from one of those Thai travel agents that allow you to cancel within 7 days? Would they check that the ticket is really paid for or any kind of booking would be ok?

This is why I usually go to Vientiane (as they don't ask for ticket out of Thailand) because I don't want to buy any flight ticket for 3 months later.

Yes, i had always a valid, fully paid flight ticket out of Thailand with me. Only once i remember i  forget to take a copy of my flight ticket and i show the officer lady my ticket on my smart phone , she accepted this, take my smart phone for a while and check it up with her computer, after she told me, ok Sir, i can accept, but next time copy please, but this was 2015.

Most of my flights  were with Air Asia. And at Air Asia u can request for the airport tax refund, but this can take a while, my experience up to 2 till 3 months but it works, so they will return u back 700THB or 20$ from ur flight ticket. So if u have a promotion ticket  for example 1,000THB, the cost of the ticket is only 300THB.

Edited by Fatman666

On 11/3/2016 at 4:27 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can buy a low cost one way ticket to a nearby country from any airport here to satisfy the ticket out requirement. Buying it in advance you can find one for around 1000 baht (check Air Asia for flights to KL).

So is it a fact that all Thai embassies have different rules , because I got my visa in NZ and no onward ticket required .If I applied for my non O in Saigon , would they require an onward ticket then?

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply to quoted text

17 minutes ago, jimlek said:

So is it a fact that all Thai embassies have different rules , because I got my visa in NZ and no onward ticket required .If I applied for my non O in Saigon , would they require an onward ticket then?

There should be no requirement for a ticket out of the the country for a non-o visa application.

3 hours ago, jimlek said:

Thanks.Guess that should be the case.

Not sure what Non o based on? You are thinking obtaining in Saigon. Not 100% sure but i think saigon does not offer non o based on retirement. Check it out