HP xw4600 Workstation second hand- some questions

lostinisaan

Dear experts,

I've seen a nice HP I'd like to buy second hand. It was manufactured in 2009, has four DDR slots and in each slot is a 512 MB memory card. At the inside of the cover's a picture how to use the PC when running with 2 cards only. Then slot 1 and slot 3 has to be used. It's a HP xw4600 Workstation. ( Dual Core) 

I've just checked and found an information somebody might be able to explain to me:  NOTE: Only unbuffered DDR2 DIMMs are supported. All DIMMs must be either x8 or x16 width.

My plan is to put Windows 10 Pro on it and I want to upgrade the memory to at least 4 GB, maybe 6.

The lady wants 4,500 baht for it and I have no idea if that's a realistic price for such an older machine.

What's your input regarding the upgrade, I don't even know if I can upgrade it to W 10 and I think it came with Windows Vista.Is there anything special I have to be serious about?

It's a real heavy PC, around 13 kg. I was just thinking about the old lemel I fixed up and like the older PC's much more than the new plastic crap things

Thanks a lot in advance for any relevant information regarding this PC.. I'm aware that all 800 Mhz cards are quite expensive and i guess that's what's needed.

P.S. Just Googled and found that DDR 2 800's are needed. I know that Advice do not have 4 GB cards. And when you look at this link it's weird that 4 x 1 GB are cheaper than one 4 GB card?  https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/hp/workstation/xw4600

4 GB for 140 bucks is a little bit off. That would make the PC to a very expensive thingy.      

https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/hp/workstation/xw4600   

I have an E8400 dual core running 4gb of DDR1100 at 2.8ghz stock and it won't run win10 no matter what size the HD or ram is,  the cpu is not supported.  If you can fire it up then run it past the web site at windows that will tell you if you can run win10 on that PC.  It may be the mother board is to out of date also.    I would not be making guess work out of it - they have a diagnostic which will tell you- google it.  It ruled mine out without hardware solution as supported cpu's won't fix that mother board.  Linux box now - runs mint fine.

If you owned this seven year old workstation already, or if someone gave it to you for free, then sure, maybe spend a small amount of money for an upgrade, but to buy it only to spend money on it beginning with EEC RAM which isn't cheap and can be hard to find used.. I wouldn't.  

Don't throw money at seven year old workstation hardware because it may not even be compatible with affordable new parts, and the older outdated parts it is compatible with might be more expensive than you think. There is also the risk of running in to driver issues, and your plans of running W10 might not work out as mentioned above. By the time you make your upgrades, and if you can get it running the way you like, you will probably find you would have been better off buying a new budget PC with warranty.

This is what you can get for 4500 in a second hand shop

15 hours ago, kkerry said:

If you owned this seven year old workstation already, or if someone gave it to you for free, then sure, maybe spend a small amount of money for an upgrade, but to buy it only to spend money on it beginning with EEC RAM which isn't cheap and can be hard to find used.. I wouldn't.  

Don't throw money at seven year old workstation hardware because it may not even be compatible with affordable new parts, and the older outdated parts it is compatible with might be more expensive than you think. There is also the risk of running in to driver issues, and your plans of running W10 might not work out as mentioned above. By the time you make your upgrades, and if you can get it running the way you like, you will probably find you would have been better off buying a new budget PC with warranty.

This is what you can get for 4500 in a second hand shop

Thanks a lot for both answers. I really appreciate your time and won't touch the thingy. Not even for 2 K. 

Archived