No questions allowed in Thai Govt House

webfact

No questions allowed in Govt House
By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- For the third consecutive week, reporters on the Government House beat were not given a chance to ask Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha any questions during his weekly news briefing.

Apparently, this was to “prevent political heat” during the mourning period. Prayut, who usually enjoys interacting with the media, has recently taken to briefing the press on topics ranging from the Cabinet meeting and logistics of the royal funeral to plunging paddy prices.

And with the absence of microphones, reporters have no option but to take notes as Prayut tries to cover all issues of interest. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/politics/30299122

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-04

So the PM usually enjoys ' interacting ' with the media ?

Is interacting a euphemism for threatening , insulting and demeaning etc. ?

The PM only seems to enjoy reporters who are compliant and don't ask pointed questions. 

2 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

So the PM usually enjoys ' interacting ' with the media ?

Is interacting a euphemism for threatening , insulting and demeaning etc. ?

The PM only seems to enjoy reporters who are compliant and don't ask pointed questions. 

Im surprised that they can actually ask questions instead of  just heap praise only

The press should not join these briefings...

Wait for the paper that will be sent out from the Government and just write your article as copy and paste!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything here from Government is manipulatet; same the press!

I live in an apartment block which is about 95% Thai and have many friends amonst them. When our Junta leader comes on the TV at 6pm every evening it is go to sleep time. They are all not the slightest bit interested in all the BS that comes from his mouth so I am surprised that the media even bothers to turn up.

34 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

There are legend of junta fans here in this forum that totally agree with unchecked power.  

I have spoken to quite a few thai that feel having political parties is too much trouble. They say in essence 1 man 1 rule is better than the protests. 

They say the little discrepancies that keep popping up that cannot be investigated are small and nothing to worry about. Anything is better than the fighting. Manipulating the  pt against Democrats has played out beautifully. when are Democrats  going to realise that they had more power under pt than they will ever get again. When is the penny going to drop that they did not win, they  lost just as much as the pt.

In this time of sadness I'm quite agree that the less we see or hear of Prayuth the better. If only this would continue after as well. As for the future I'm optimistic that a year from now Thailand will hold fair elections and a new political era can begin. Time for the army to step aside and let the people choose a new leader.

4 hours ago, greenchair said:

I have spoken to quite a few thai that feel having political parties is too much trouble. They say in essence 1 man 1 rule is better than the protests. 

They say the little discrepancies that keep popping up that cannot be investigated are small and nothing to worry about. Anything is better than the fighting. Manipulating the  pt against Democrats has played out beautifully. when are Democrats  going to realise that they had more power under pt than they will ever get again. When is the penny going to drop that they did not win, they  lost just as much as the pt.

Yes it's a strange political party that will sacrifice the chance of taking power in the unforeseeable future as long as their main opposition is neutered.

Or could it be because they realise that they are unelectable?

29 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Yes it's a strange political party that will sacrifice the chance of taking power in the unforeseeable future as long as their main opposition is neutered.

Or could it be because they realise that they are unelectable?

Well it could be they did realise that. Which was the first step to look at themselves and change. In time, they would certainly have been elected. They can forget about that now, though can't they lol.

Great public relations tactic.  The Press probably think:  ""We know we're not going to like the answer, so why ask the question?".  Old French saying: "A fly cannot enter a closed mouth". Old Phantom saying: "Silence in the jungle; does it signal peace or threat?"

6 hours ago, greenchair said:

Those are really the minority and they are holding back the aspiration of the majority to have their choice of leaders. These are the Thais that feel that the poor and marginalize don't deserve a better life and education. They are the biggest stumbling block for the nation to progress.

As for the Dem Party, they always have been a royalist party and did very little for the common people. They will never win any election and will continue to hang on the coattails of the military. BTW, PT is not the future too. 

8 hours ago, ElPatron said:

I start to have serious doubts about the fate of the country in a close future....

I've been concerned for the past fifteen years, Thailand is a far cry from the catch word on everyone's lips in 1997, Thailand for the average joblow  has stagnated and with the Junta is steadily going backwards like it always will do under a military rule..............................:coffee1:... 

I start to have serious doubts about the fate of the country in a close future....

Me too! The tight military grip will soon loosen when real protests begin. The immediate future is unstable and one wrong move could cause a domino effect that could set the country into full blown civil war. Sadness can be easily transformed into other negative emotions quickly. This is the reason why the PM has been quitely out of the headlines. Fear of civil unrest, social media surveillance, terrorism warnings, troops on high alert, television controlled, journalists muted, soldiers with the power to arrest civilians and section 44.

An additional quick note. Remember each side have their puppets. Until there's a winner there's all to play for.

Just been watching Thai TV and Yingluck's all over the news crying for the poor farmers. While PM and Prawit get there bit of news as well.

Nothing is over until the fat lady sings.

Problem ultimately economics will prevail

It's an interesting phenomenon that the more open the society is the better it performs.

Now it's unrealistic to suggest that many societies in Asia even come close to what many of what many westerners would consider 'open'. But review this data from the World Bank from 1984, when essentially all the 5 countries listed were pretty much the same, and make your own conclusions what works and what doesn't

MyChart.jpg