Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

If you left because of other circumstances you would have said but your being allusive, that's a sure give away. Like I said no shame in it emoji1.png

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Too many assumptions on your part. 

On 05/11/2016 at 7:38 AM, performance said:

Invest in what ? 

Yes, me too, I am wondering what you want to invest in? Big corporation multi-millions investment with your corporate lawyers to back you up ok otherwise you go to the shark.

On 05/11/2016 at 0:46 AM, Just1Voice said:

I've been here 9 years in January.  Have a very good life/family, and absolutely no plans or intentions of going anywhere, other than to my favorite coffee shop. lol

I must say you lucky man. When I visit Thailand I expect very little from them especially the BIB or Immigration (any problems they give me I try to accomodate). Otherwise, I will be terribly unhappy.

What can you expect from simple minded people? I am not saying they are stupid, no, far from it, they are not stupid. But come to dealing with problems they seem simple minded. No long term solution. Corruption has become a part of the culture nobody really think it is a bad thing. If no corruption the top guys lose out the most, wouldn't it? So they make sure it stays as an institution in this kingdom.

On 05/11/2016 at 1:53 AM, fstarbkk said:

Cambodia: The smelly armpit of southeast Asia.

Yes, I do agree. Somehow I think their body odour is quite strong, is it because they eat that fermented fish. Did you see those fermented fish in big container in the market place. Oh, they smell real bad. When they cook it, I ran away. That's how bad it is.

Yes, I do agree. Somehow I think their body odour is quite strong, is it because they eat that fermented fish. Did you see those fermented fish in big container in the market place. Oh, they smell real bad. When they cook it, I ran away. That's how bad it is.

Gosh? How did you survive, my poor dear?

6 minutes ago, madusa said:

Yes, me too, I am wondering what you want to invest in? Big corporation multi-millions investment with your corporate lawyers to back you up ok otherwise you go to the shark.

I wonder if you have experience starting and building a business in Thailand or anywhere?  or if you are just someone who's read the negative posts about idiots who've bought bars or put money into a noodle stall run by their girlfriend, when the bloke has no real business experience or even any idea how things work in Asia.

I am not worried about sharks.

7 minutes ago, madusa said:

Isn't this the same fermented fish of Esarn?

On 05/11/2016 at 4:55 AM, SoFarAndNear said:

So true, so true :smile:

After all these years don't they ever realize that sex is only good up to a point, and beyond that you need some intellectual stimulation if you are the intellectual type, otherwise "BOREDOM" in capital letter.

Boredom will follow you, no point looking for another country. Perhaps if you engage in some charity work it does help a bit that is if you are sincere about helping out, no otherwise.

I first came to Thailand in 2002, ah not my first trip to SE Asia. Anybody that thinks it hasn't changed has a blindfold and plugs in the ears. I like to say what is the most worrisome now, but I can't. I'm married, have the US usual 3 bedroom, 2 bath house in a subdivision that used to be great. It has expanded greatly and is now overrun with mutts that the Thais let run freely. I made plans after something happened a couple of years ago to boggie if necessary and any farang that hasn't done so is a fool.

For those that think it is still cheap, you haven't paid attention. Maybe you should listen to my wife when she comes back from the market. Ah no on second though it isn't pretty. Prices have doubled, in some cases tripled and the Thai baht is keep high artificially. OK, not completely, watching the debacle of a US election I can understand why nobody would trust the USD. Attitudes have changed.

For the holier than thou crowd, I am a sexpat, not bald, yep a bit of hair loss and not fat and still good to go. I haven't been to Sin City in over 3 yrs. and from everybody I talk to it is dead as a doornail. I don't miss it all that much, the good days there are long gone. Plenty of that up here in Issan, and even then the prices are stupidly high.

I have an Aussie friend living in PP, likes it, doesn't do much hanging out in bars like we used to, but had to return to Australia for heart problem. No medical care there, pretty much the same in Lao, I know because I pay for somebodies. Philippines is out of the question with the government there now. Vietnam, I didn't leave anything there I didn't want to leave, although the women are very pretty. I wouldn't trust as far as the women here and one would have to be a fool to trust any woman. Except for Beer Lao, Lao is expensive compared to here. 

I live pretty well here, VA, government pensions, I'd be living on the Simpson-Bowles cat food diet in the states.

No way in hell I'll every return to the Corporate Police State of Amerika, oops America, sorry about that my computer made me do it.

At present, my escape plan is Lao first, not very far, then Cambodia although at my age the lack of health care always has to be a concern.

Oh, and I'm late to this thread because I've been in Lao for 3 days, read between those lines. The US Marine Corps Birthday Ball was great.

23 hours ago, Usernames said:

Don't know about some of this.  My experience is that Vietnamese are really hard nosed people. Unsentimental and a lot more likely to take your last penny and leave you dying on the road. There is a lot of recent history in Vietnam and Cambodia that might indicate a halt on things before thinking that Thais are more likely to do you harm than Viets and Cambodians.

I have moved from Thailand to Vietnam so naturally hold the exact opposite view and furthermore no Viet Cong ever called me a nigger . In the district I am in there are simply no Chinese and I was told today that if they came they would be told to bugger off. That appeals to me far more that the sycophancy of Duterte, Najib and Prayut. Vietnam, as a country, puts national pride ahead of dollars in that context. If, and I repeat IF in capitals, hostilities became more advanced vis a vis China and the West in the South China Sea then in Thailand I would have been an alien which will not be the case in Vietnam  

23 minutes ago, glenmohr said:

I have moved from Thailand to Vietnam so naturally hold the exact opposite view and furthermore no Viet Cong ever called me a nigger . In the district I am in there are simply no Chinese and I was told today that if they came they would be told to bugger off. That appeals to me far more that the sycophancy of Duterte, Najib and Prayut. Vietnam, as a country, puts national pride ahead of dollars in that context. If, and I repeat IF in capitals, hostilities became more advanced vis a vis China and the West in the South China Sea then in Thailand I would have been an alien which will not be the case in Vietnam  

I have a good friend who lives in Ho Chi Minh with his Vietnamese wife and 2 young boys.  He's in his early 40's and works as a University lecturer.   He loves it there.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2016 at 2:41 PM, Johnniey said:

The main reason they are unhappier as they realize after a few years that the somewhat exotic dark-skinned Issarnite is not in fact desirable anymore.

Again , Issan ladies , are referred  to in a  dark light ,

surely there are good  Issan  ladies ?

Correct me if i am wrong .555

Edited by elliss

Again , Issan ladies , are referred  to in a  dark light ,
        surely there are good  Issan  ladies ?
      Correct me if i am wrong .555

Of course there are but they lack intelligence and true beauty. It's no wonder that educated thai men have left these little dark things for farang alone. And farang scoop them up kids and all.. It's a mystery

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seancbk said:

They recommend Thailand and you still believe that their recommendation of Panama and Ecuador to be reliable as well. 

Do you not understand that many websites like this are produced by people who've probably never been to any of the countries they rate.  They simply pay writers (also with no real experience of living in the countries) to produce articles about each destination.  Then people like you search on Google and find the sites, go there and give their sites visitor impressions which they can then use to sell advertising.

It is all about making money, nothing at all about providing correct, upto date information from people who have actually retired to and lived in the locations for an extended period of time.

You are much better off searching for forums related to a destination.   Although as with this forum you need to identify people who are the same as you, to get reliable info.   

Maybe. But I will defer to someone who has been there, but not to someone who has not.

15 minutes ago, Bob9 said:

Maybe. But I will defer to someone who has been there, but not to someone who has not.

So not one of the websites you referred to then.

Edited by seancbk

5 hours ago, madusa said:

I think he invests in 80 baht lottery tickets :stoner:

7 hours ago, Bob9 said:

You. You been there. Maybe know someone that has?

Actually - dont bother - lets agree to disagree and move on.

Let's start over shall we as your comprehension of what I wrote seems somewhat lacking.

Its started with you saying you read on a website that Costa Rica and Panama were good places to retire.

Then someone who knows about those places pointed out why they are not. 

You then came back and said the website you read it on also listed Thailand as a good place to retire.

That was when I came into the thread and said that if you know Thailand isn't a good place to retire (which presumably you do) then why would you believe it when the website recommends Panama and Costa Rica.    I then pointed out why you should not believe stuff written on non professional websites.  

I then recommended that you seek first hand info from people who actually know about retiring to each place (I recommended looking for forums).

As I also said in a previous post, its a pity TV no longer has nested comments, then we could see what each person said as this conversation went on.  

I'm below retirement age and so when I look at a place to live I look for different things.   I like living in a big city with modern infrastructure, a fast cheap network of public transport, night clubs and bars, high class restaurants, expensive brand name shops and fast internet.   

I'm guessing your requirements are different.

9 hours ago, mcfish said:

Of course there are but they lack intelligence and true beauty. It's no wonder that educated thai men have left these little dark things for farang alone. And farang scoop them up kids and all.. It's a mystery

5555 I know plenty who would blow your little theory out of the water. No intelligence they would run rings around your small bigoted brain cell

26 minutes ago, transam said:

AND, no plastic nose, no McEyebrow tattos, just 100% Isaan...OH, her daughter (27) is also 100% Isaan....

Mrs.Mayes.jpgfamily.jpg

I'm sure they are lovely ladies, they certainly look nice.  What is important however, is not what we think, but how you feel about them and they feel about you.

The reason I am not keen on getting involved with girls from the provinces has nothing to do with whether they are nice people but more to do with the type of lifestyle I live and need my girlfriend to feel comfortable in.  

Take this event as an example (it was last year) - http://www.lifestyleasia.com/432068/viennese-whirl-vienna-ball-arrives-in-bangkok/

Very hard to find a girl from Isaan who would feel comfortable at that sort or evening, no matter how beautiful she looks.