Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

7 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Are you an expat?

My father was working as a Civil Engineer in Libya and I was born there.   I've lived my entire life outside of the country I hold a passport for (UK). 

I have permanent residence in Hong Kong and Macau.   

So yes, I consider myself an expat.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Naam said:
8 hours ago, seancbk said:

Retirees are not expats, unless they were expats when they retired.    

My definition of an expat is someone who has lived and worked overseas in a high paying job (expat deal obviously) for the majority of their life.

like it or not, your definition is irrelevant. the expression "expatriate" is derived from latin "ex patria" = "out of fatherland". therefore anybody living in another country than his "home" country is an expat.

Which is why I said it's 'my definition'  it may not be totally correct but it helps me differentiate between people who are professionals working in high paid jobs and people who are just retired and have moved overseas. 

Thailand is unusual in that there are a lot of retirees and relatively few Western professionals working here, whereas HK has very few retirees (unless they lived and worked in HK) and absolutely loads of Western professionals working there.   

32 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Which is why I said it's 'my definition'  it may not be totally correct but it helps me differentiate between people who are professionals working in high paid jobs and people who are just retired and have moved overseas. 

Thailand is unusual in that there are a lot of retirees and relatively few Western professionals working here, whereas HK has very few retirees (unless they lived and worked in HK) and absolutely loads of Western professionals working there.   

I think the concept of expat is a little more fluid. For example, if an expat in Hong Kong retires to Thailand does he/she stop being an expat?

15 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I think the concept of expat is a little more fluid. For example, if an expat in Hong Kong retires to Thailand does he/she stop being an expat?

Yes.

I am an expat in Thailand.  if I retire to  Hong Kong, I am no longer an expat.

When I get Thai citizenship, will I also cease to be an  expat ?

27 minutes ago, Johnniey said:
47 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Yes.

I am an expat in Thailand.  if I retire to  Hong Kong, I am no longer an expat.

When I get Thai citizenship, will I also cease to be an  expat ?

It's a bit of a pointless discussion as people use the term differently.

I would say that once you qualify to call yourself an expat you remain one until you return to the country of your primary nationality ( bearing in mind many expats often have residency in multiple countries).   

Technically of course an expat is (as has been pointed out already) just someone who lives overseas.

4 minutes ago, seancbk said:

It's a bit of a pointless discussion as people use the term differently.

I would say that once you qualify to call yourself an expat you remain one until you return to the country of your primary nationality ( bearing in mind many expats often have residency in multiple countries).   

Technically of course an expat is (as has been pointed out already) just someone who lives overseas.

Pointless discussions is what we do round here...and 'er an expat speciality.

Things that I've found amazing compared to living in the US:
1. I've lived in the same apartment for the last 11 years with no increase in rent and the internet is still free!
2. In Bangkok, it is very easy to get by without your own transportation and you would be an idiot to try to drive in Bangkok, anyway.  Not having the stress of owning a vehicle with all the attendant expenses is one big stress out of my life.
3. The local markets are wonderful places to shop.  I know most of the vendors.  Friendly and generous. Get to taste before you buy and usually get more that what you paid for!
4. Thai people are, for the most part, friendly and generous. There's no need engage in political discussions to feed your own ego.  It's not going to change anything.  Just engage in 'small talk' and find good friends.
5. You have to assimilate. I exercise in a small park near my apartment. By and large, I'm the only farang at the park and I know many people by their first name.  I feel that I fit in as much as anyone else that is there.
6. Medical costs and the level of care are excellent - most of the time.
7. I feel safe and secure.
8. If I need to vent, I do it here!

Small gripes would be the dog shit is the sois, feral cats, and the ubiquitous erratic motorcycle drivers.   All things considered, it would be very difficult to find another place that offered the same quality of life.

Do you live in burbs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im fine as long as I dont leave the house.
Driving makes me crazy
Being treated like a criminal due to the incessant reporting, even after 10 years here, makes me feel less important than a soi dog
Always a farang fault that it is sounding like a normal thing, when a Thai hits a farang or farang vehicle
The education system for my 2 girls is frustrating as all hell as the teachers I have spoken with have not that much of a clue in what they are teaching
I hate having to ask my wife to buy everything, as I know (doesnt always happen), but the price is higher when I ask for it
2 tier pricing, even when I have drivers license and my family in tow... When it happens, I just mumble the word "stupid" and pile the family back in the car and go elsewhere

But....

When I wake up in the morning, drag my butt outside and sit on the veranda having brekky, and hear my kids playing with the cats and dog and my wife prepping brekky for the kids... I feel as I am in heaven!
All I want is just to live my life with my family and not have my kids asking why I have to report to immigration 4 times every year... Even my missus thinks its a cruel thing to do to people, westerner or not.

How old are you

Why is age relevant....?

Sounds like you live in the sticks and that would drive me nuts. You go to buy a kilo of tomatoes, ask the price and there is a pause while she tries to work out how much extra to charge.
Im in the city thankfully and do all my shopping in supermarkets where it's labelled

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

Sounds like you live in the sticks and that would drive me nuts. You go to buy a kilo of tomatoes, ask the price and there is a pause while she tries to work out how much extra to charge.
Im in the city thankfully and do all my shopping in supermarkets where it's labelled

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

No I don't live in the sticks...I shop at Tesco and Central, I also live about five minutes from an airport. I have a Grandfather clock in my lounge, I am now looking out my French doors looking at a lake, anything else you want to know as your thoughts are a little off....:stoner:

2 minutes ago, transam said:

No I don't live in the sticks...I shop at Tesco and Central, I also live about five minutes from an airport. I have a Grandfather clock in my lounge, I am now looking out my French doors looking at a lake, anything else you want to know as your thoughts are a little off....:stoner:

What did you have for breakfast Trans ? :smile:

21 minutes ago, transam said:

Damn that Bangkok flooding!  Sorry to hear your garden has been turned into a lake.   Can you row to safety using your Grandfather clock as a boat perhaps?

;-)

I do find it a bit amusing how readers get this "picture" in their head about another poster. I don't give a stuff about folk knowing who I really am, have posted many pics over the years.

So for Mr.McFishy here is my clock, my hoooose with trusty stead and one of me (heading for 70 and Mrs.Trans heading for 50) taken two days ago....:stoner:

PS..Yes I am holding a fag behind my back....:laugh:

Photo-0310 (1).jpgPhoto0957-001.jpgme and nap3.jpg

I do find it a bit amusing how readers get this "picture" in their head about another poster. I don't give a stuff about folk knowing who I really am, have posted many pics over the years.

So for Mr.McFishy here is my clock, my hoooose with trusty stead and one of me (heading for 70 and Mrs.Trans heading for 50) taken two days ago....:stoner:

582bfc7a26901_Photo-0310(1).jpg.98a14d91c5ed609fc4f58071c11cbcdc.jpgPhoto0957-001.jpg.6030cbeedfb7d4a83cc0f2ab107e9961.jpg582bfccae9a18_meandnap3.jpg.8c12329edcd085112ce0e33363013875.jpg

Did you cut the sleeves off your jumper?
[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Just now, roo860 said:

Did you cut the sleeves off your jumper?
emoji106.png

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

No, Mrs.Trans bought it in the second hand clothing market. She has a good eye for genuine stuff...That is a genuine Nike shirt, all the logos, put in the wash machine and I am now trendy for 50bht....:giggle:

3 hours ago, kunfish said:

How old are you

I am 51.. lived here 10 years...
I rarely drink, except on the special occasion with mates...
I spend most of my time with my wife and kids

1505621_1589670847944651_8035300771144486041_n.jpg

20140413_141515.jpg

2 hours ago, transam said:

me and nap3.jpg

how was your time as a monk Trans?

3 hours ago, transam said:

Photo-0310 (1).jpgPhoto0957-001.jpgme and nap3.jpg

Oh dear:unsure:

Love the obligatory McMansion pillars and the Simon Cowell pants

1 minute ago, YeahSiam said:

Oh dear:unsure:

Love the obligatory McMansion pillars and the Simon Cowell pants

No, they are 20 year old Levi's, and still fit.....:giggle:

As for the pillars, well Rome have had them for a very long time, many buildings in London have had them for a very long time, now if you have a problem with this Londoner that likes a bit of his city in his home then l think you should get back into McD's and have a re-think....:stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

No, they are 20 year old Levi's, and still fit.....:giggle:

As for the pillars, well Rome have had them for a very long time, many buildings in London have had them for a very long time, now if you have a problem with this Londoner that likes a bit of his city in his home then l think you should get back into McD's and have a re-think....:stoner:

The pillars are totally out of place in a house like that from a style standpoint but it's your gaff so it's your choice.

It's the sort of feature somebody like Boycie from Only Fools and Horses would put in a pre-fab.

1 minute ago, YeahSiam said:

The pillars are totally out of place in a house like that from a style standpoint but it's your gaff so it's your choice.

It's the sort of feature somebody like Boycie from Only Fools and Horses would put in a pre-fab.

I respect your opinion, but...you ain't seen inside my house in it's entirety to make an overall opinion, but, but, I don't give a stuff..........:laugh:

Archived