Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

15 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I loved that vid, if only any of them had even remotely been Hispanic, but at that time, it was all about stereotypes, blacked up Minstrals, and whities singing pseudo Spanish

Lina Romay was Mexican. Her father was the attache at one of the Mexican consulates in the US. Of course, that means she was probably part of the Mexican elite descended from the Spanish hidalgos who still manage to run most of what goes on in Mexico

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

HK/Singapore are certainly not in the cheapo price range as an alternative to Thailand, but a secure location for those who are able to exercise options at that level.

Question is, how do these two places compare with alternatives at the similar price level?

19 minutes ago, Usernames said:

Lina Romay was Mexican. Her father was the attache at one of the Mexican consulates in the US. Of course, that means she was probably part of the Mexican elite descended from the Spanish hidalgos who still manage to run most of what goes on in Mexico

She was quite typical of many of us. Born in Brooklyn to Mexican (HiSo) parents. Lived her entire life in the US, died somewhere in California I believe.

16 hours ago, pookiki said:

Things that I've found amazing compared to living in the US:

1. I've lived in the same apartment for the last 11 years with no increase in rent and the internet is still free!

2. In Bangkok, it is very easy to get by without your own transportation and you would be an idiot to try to drive in Bangkok, anyway.  Not having the stress of owning a vehicle with all the attendant expenses is one big stress out of my life.

3. The local markets are wonderful places to shop.  I know most of the vendors.  Friendly and generous. Get to taste before you buy and usually get more that what you paid for!

4. Thai people are, for the most part, friendly and generous. There's no need engage in political discussions to feed your own ego.  It's not going to change anything.  Just engage in 'small talk' and find good friends.

5. You have to assimilate. I exercise in a small park near my apartment. By and large, I'm the only farang at the park and I know many people by their first name.  I feel that I fit in as much as anyone else that is there.

6. Medical costs and the level of care are excellent - most of the time.

7. I feel safe and secure.

8. If I need to vent, I do it here!

Small gripes would be the dog shit is the sois, feral cats, and the ubiquitous erratic motorcycle drivers.   All things considered, it would be very difficult to find another place that offered the same quality of life.

Very good positive points.....where many people can learn from!

Been here for the last 22 years and made lots of money and bought a lot of assets ie condos, partment blocks etc and land under my bf's name but after visting a few friends at Cambodia and Vietnam over the last the two years, plus my bf (who is thai-chinese and educated in Sydney, been togther for the last 17 years) insists that we sell off everything and move to either places ie Cambodia and Vietnam. People there are friendlier, and things are cheaper plus if you have capital, its a great place to make even more money in various legal businesses. Despite whatever people can say about these two places ie Cambodia and Vietnam, we like it there compared to Thailand which has lost its lustre plus the local attitudes and mentality are worst these days compared to back then. We have already started our plans to move and do not mind even selling our assests at loses as enough is enough . The current government is really anti-foreigner except when it comes to your money. If more expats leave and also more foreigners start to not come here, then perharps, with reduced incomes, we can hopefully see some people at the immigration responsible for developing policies, losing their jobs!

7 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Despite whatever people can say about these two places ie Cambodia and Vietnam, we like it there compared to Thailand which has lost its lustre plus the local attitudes and mentality are worst these days compared to back then.

Couldn't agree more. Even myself, 33 years old, first came here at 22, I can clearly see a difference. Luckily I don't depend on Thailand to make money and can live where ever I want. 

7 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

The current government is really anti-foreigner except when it comes to your money.

People can overlook this so easily, and I don't understand it. I mean I 'understand it' but why pander to it when there are other options on the table. Even if there is a family and children involved. 

20 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I've been here going on 9 years now, and my "happiness level" is about the same as it was in the beginning.  First, I had no illusions about Thailand being "paradise", or the perfect place for me to live.  I accepted it as a new, different country, with it's up's & down's, it's good & bad, like any place else, including the U.S., where I came from.  I didn't come to Thailand for Thailand. I came to Thailand to get away from the U.S., which was becoming much too expensive for me to live on my VA Disability pension.  

I've been married to the same woman, who is only 10 years younger than I am, for most of those 9 years, and have a wonderful, loving adopted son, who is working on his Master's in Thai Education, and a niece studying for her law degree, who calls me her dad as well.  Life is good.  Perfect?  Not by a long shot, but 10 times, or more, better than it would be back in the States living alone in an apartment.  I speak enough Thai so that when I take a 2-4 day road trip on my bike, I have no problems getting by. 

Life ain't "great", but it's damn good for me, and that's just fine. 

My Hero sincerely. In life there are givers and takers. You are definitely in the first category. A happy realist for sure. 

21 hours ago, Johnniey said:

I think if you are talking about Pattaya dwellers only. Why on earth would anyone else want to go to Cambodia?

uh................ the cost of living quickly springs to mind

then lets not forget 1 year visa's without any hassle

1 year business visa's also without hassle, and then you can basically do as you wish work wise

obviously YOU YOURSELF have only visited cambodia for 1 intention and probably only 1 place you have been

Personally, Laos would be a nice choice but cambodia is just as laid back

3 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Oh dear:sad: Getting rather personal now. My four children are human beings, no need to try to belittle them by saying they are half-castes. 

You are doing exactly what you say those you keep your distance from are doing.

I also assume as an old German that you were brainwashed into thinking that assimilation of a farang into another culture or ethnic group is impossible because the original inherited traits can not change, they can only degenerate through so-called race-mixing. I assure you that I have no qualms about diluting my Aryan traits. I really can't imagine how anyone could be fooled into thinking that their nation  is superior to others.

Please keep you faulty ideologies out of a public, mostly friendly, internet forum where many of us do integrate and even have offspring with the inferior natives.

...no need to try to belittle them by saying they are half castes. But Johnniey Johnniey Johnniey... that's what they're called in Thai. Johnniey, you can speak Thai, right?

IMHO

The only expats that decide to stay here, are the ones that are invested here, wether it be family or business.

For expats that are single with no ties here, and an income coming from elsewhere

it simply make no logical sense to remain in Thailand, when they are much better oppurtunities elsewhere,

and much lower living expenses elsewhere, and much easier conditions in terms of long stay visa's

5 minutes ago, George Graham said:

...no need to try to belittle them by saying they are half castes. But Johnniey Johnniey Johnniey... that's what they're called in Thai. Johnniey, you can speak Thai, right?

Never once ever have I heard any Thai call my son a half cast never ever. some times people just dream things up.

When all is said and done, I think the main factor that determines 'happiness' outside one's place of birth is how comfortable a person feels living in a different culture.  Lots of threads pointed to an increase in xenophobia against foreigners in Thailand. I think that perception is the result of the person's own xenophobia about living outside their own culture or being a minority whereas the person was in the cultural/ethnic majority in their own country.

I lived in Hawaii for over thirty-five years before coming to Thailand but it wasn't my birthplace. Whites are the largest ethnic group in Hawaii but not a majority when compared to the Asian and Polynesian population.  Being called a 'haole' or a 'f***king haole' in Hawaii is probably just as common as being called a 'farang' in Thailand.  The locals in Hawaii speak 'pidgin' English that is its own colorful language (that one should learn) and is the result or the rich multicultural society.  Either one can embrace the culture and learn from it or always feel like an 'outsider' looking in.  One's cultural pedigree can be very important in Hawaii but the most important issue is one's character and how you relate to people.  It's the same the world over.   I would invite everyone to listen to the lyrics of 'Mr. Sun Cho Lee' written and sung by the Beamer Brothers in the 1970's.  It is comical but real view of cultural stereotypes and ethnic diversity.

I will never be able to change the color of my skin or my eyes. I will always be a 'farang' in Thailand just as I would always be a 'haole' in Hawaii.  But as the saying goes in Hawaii -- "We're all brothers (and sisters) under the skin".  Home is where your heart is.  

2 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Never once ever have I heard any Thai call my son a half cast never ever. some times people just dream things up.

they dont say half caste exactly but there is a word for mix in thai

just like they call ferang a ferang

but, i doubt many people use it these days, as mix kids are nothing new

maybe it says a little  something about the type of thais george associates with

although he still does not quote the term in Thai

so maybe he has not heard the word for a very long time either

Funny some Expats here think their money being spent here is important to the Thai economy or it would collapse if we all left. Thais have way more money than most Farangs think and Expat money vs. Tourist money is nothing. Thais could care less what you think or do. I live in Hua Hin and my Thai neighbours are all USD millionaires.

at the age of taking it easy well it is the place to be it is still cheaper than being back home in the frigid weather of Canada am not talking BC it is like in japan or China at this West coast province.and very expensive they pay a lot for the sunshine and the rain.

So Thailand I do not care how they will control the country but I like the weather and the food.

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

Funny some Expats here think their money being spent here is important to the Thai economy or it would collapse if we all left. Thais have way more money than most Farangs think and Expat money vs. Tourist money is nothing. Thais could care less what you think or do. I live in Hua Hin and my Thai neighbours are all USD millionaires.

spot on mate, many expats forget, expats are NOT considered wealthy or even rich, not even well off

just expats, that live the same as many Thais,

but most expats dont live anywhere near the life of rich Thais

and i doubt any expats at all live the live of wealthy Thais

i been in gated communities in bangkok, that are like towns and the cheapest house is 50 million baht,

and i did not see any foreigners there, and there any many such places around bkk

most expats here, live like Thai working class.

As we are having so many people on this right now, that might consider leaving or having left already; I would love to hear some ideas where to move to.

Looking for exotic, subtropical or tropical, clean seas for boating, fishing, diving, nice people, affordable cost of living (up to 50%+ from what I spend here per month which is around 120 K with home paid), reasonable medical, retirement or similar visa, possibility to buy home etc. etc.  Carribean? Columbia? Ecuador? Panama? Paraguay? Upper NE- or Southern-Brazil?

Any hints much appreciated. It might help me make that big decision. MS>

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Cambodia's visa system is easier but they lack decent medical care. 

I think it's obvious that most foreigners if they left Thailand would move back to their home nations. 

I wouldnt come back to the UK, language barriers in some areas are going to be rife here soon. Relax enjoy the people the weather its better in Thailand

14 hours ago, performance said:

Invest in what ? 

A food manufacturing business for a product range that will be sold throughout Thailand and later neighbouring countries.

There is a very large market here and I'm confident in both the product and the future growth of the market.

5 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

As we are having so many people on this right now, that might consider leaving or having left already; I would love to hear some ideas where to move to.

Looking for exotic, subtropical or tropical, clean seas for boating, fishing, diving, nice people, affordable cost of living (up to 50%+ from what I spend here per month which is around 120 K with home paid), reasonable medical, retirement or similar visa, possibility to buy home etc. etc.  Carribean? Columbia? Ecuador? Panama? Paraguay? Upper NE- or Southern-Brazil?

Any hints much appreciated. It might help me make that big decision. MS>

You might want to explore and research some of the South Pacific countries, e.g. Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Samoa, etc.

59 minutes ago, George Graham said:

Just learn the months of the year and you'll be OK hey Johnniey?

I am sloooowly learning Thai, but of all the Thais I have met in the UK all of them had English some better than others but they were still going to evening classes to learn. Somethings for those whingers about strange language to take on board

Yep: I am leaving Thailand 2017. Reason; It's just to hot for this English guy. Side reason's:  I get fed up with having to keep on top of Extension of stay. 90 day reporting. Can not work due to being on retirement EStay ( am board). So yes, Me and my fantastic Thai wife are going to make home in England.  Just purchased a nice little new build house and looking forward to freedom.

I have enjoyed my 7 years stay but need more out of life for me and the wife.

1 hour ago, mki8 said:

IMHO

The only expats that decide to stay here, are the ones that are invested here, wether it be family or business.

For expats that are single with no ties here, and an income coming from elsewhere

it simply make no logical sense to remain in Thailand, when they are much better oppurtunities elsewhere,

and much lower living expenses elsewhere, and much easier conditions in terms of long stay visa's

The visa extension requires an income letter from embassy and a page or two to fill out once per year.  Then, I spend what is admittedly an awful day at Chaeng Wattana getting the extension and multiple re-entry permit.  Other than that, what's the problem?  Every 90 days I don't leave the country, I go online and fill out a 90 day report in five minutes.  Last time they replied with my new 90 day form by the end of the same day I first went online. What are the BIG problems so many people have?  Don't get it. I simply cannot imagine that it is easier, and less costly to do this in, say, Malaysia. And Vietnam has enormous quality of life issues, although I grant you that in ten years time things will likely look better there. Cambodia? I could never get past the sense of living on top of the corpses of two million people. 

57 minutes ago, mki8 said:

they dont say half caste exactly but there is a word for mix in thai

just like they call ferang a ferang

but, i doubt many people use it these days, as mix kids are nothing new

maybe it says a little  something about the type of thais george associates with

although he still does not quote the term in Thai

so maybe he has not heard the word for a very long time either

I know the word but as I said I have never ever heard it used 

50 minutes ago, mki8 said:

i been in gated communities in bangkok, that are like towns and the cheapest house is 50 million baht,

and i did not see any foreigners there, and there any many such places around bkk

But why would any expat buy or build a 50 million baht house? Like, on what planet does this make sense? 

At this price range, why Thailand? 

1 hour ago, mki8 said:

IMHO

I am in that category, no investment in family or business and a decent income from my private pension.

Having lived here for over 11 years, I have a very good group of friends, both farang and thai.

I love where I live, know the area very well, and, as I have no transport, I can get to anywhere I need to go very easily, and very cheaply, on public transport. Yes, I use it every day.

Once a year I go to immigration with all the necessary paperwork, maybe I have to wait in a queue, but I am retired, it is no great hardship to wait your turn. Once I am called to the desk, my paperwork is checked, i hand over my 1,900 baht, and guess what ? I am given permission to stay here for another year, job done. Another 4 times in that year, I have to venture there again, same scenario without having to handover money, and for me, I do not really see it as an inconvenience, i rather see it as a few hours out.

I do not need to move elsewhere, where you say there are much better opportunities, opportunities for what ?

At 56 I do not need to start all over again in a different country, where I know nobody or anything about the place.

I am very content here in good old Thailand thank you.   

2 minutes ago, Usernames said:

The visa extension requires an income letter from embassy and a page or two to fill out once per year.  Then, I spend what is admittedly an awful day at Chaeng Wattana getting the extension and multiple re-entry permit.  Other than that, what's the problem?  Every 90 days I don't leave the country, I go online and fill out a 90 day report in five minutes.  Last time they replied with my new 90 day form by the end of the same day I first went online. What are the BIG problems so many people have?  Don't get it. I simply cannot imagine that it is easier, and less costly to do this in, say, Malaysia. And Vietnam has enormous quality of life issues, although I grant you that in ten years time things will likely look better there. Cambodia? I could never get past the sense of living on top of the corpses of two million people. 

Yes it may be easier, not a BIG problem had a based on retirement easy yes but now I prefer to go outside Thailand and obtain a multi entry. I get to see a lot more than just one immigration office. I will go out every 90 days and turn it into a holiday maybe just a long weekend some times but others for a week or so. The one massive advantage is apart from once a year to get the last 60 day extension to extend my year to 17 mths I do not have to see or speak to Immigration. That's if I even bother then just get 15 months instead. In the end it's what people like to suit themselves. remember not everyone can use the Internet for 90 day reports. 

Unfortunately the survey didn't say how many people participated in the survey.Any reputable survey tells us how many people were surveyed.If it was 10,this survey is more than useless.If it was 10,000,it has some credibility.I would say if it was 10,000 TVF would be crowing about it.

Have just read that 573 were surveyed,hardly significant.

Archived