Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

it's all gripping and nonsense.  require 'foreigners'.. or maybe just the farlang... to hold more money.. but in securities.... not insured retail bank accounts like now. it would make for a different attitude as, I really believe this, most folks put their mouth where their money is.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, trogers said:

Properties in Hong Kong and Singapore have already priced themselves out of the global market...

HK/Singapore are certainly not in the cheapo price range as an alternative to Thailand, but a secure location for those who are able to exercise options at that level.

6 minutes ago, tonyjimmac said:

Each morning as I fire up the laptop to scan the daily papers in the UK and some of the rest of the world I feel a little happier in the tranquility and relative sanity of my village home in remotest Isaan, After more than three years here I have no wish to go anywhere, least of all back to the UK, where apparently because I consider myself a citizen of the world I am - according the the current PM - "a citizen of nowhere..." Neither to the US. In both countries so-called western democracy is clearly in terminal decline. The expats who complain most are the ones who even after several years here speak not one word of the language nor have the slightest interest in the culture of the country. They should fulfill their wish and leave pronto - and good riddance.

This post pretty epitomizes the 'if you don't like it leave' genre

Nobody in their right mind should be so committed to any option, point of view that they can't accept the possibility or option of an alternative.

I  don't plan right now to move anywhere, but that doesn't stop me contemplating or considering the options.

Dogma however has the unfortunate consequence of blinding people to to evolving facts and circumstances. If your dogma is so strong that you become blind to events around you, before you know it you potentially could be living in  Nazi Germany or DPRK.

Nobody is suggesting that that is where we are, but having an open mind, and planning for many and various future situations is the key to NOT ending up in a situation that spirals out of control, leaving you stranded

Been here since 2003, have no thoughts about returning to UK ever...

Some things here are so difficult, I need to buy 2 items to have/use every day... here even now end of 2016 appears impossible to buy simple things... in UK would just go into Argos, or go on-line to Ebay or Amazon, but here ?  OK there is Lazada and shows both items I want but never in stock, when shows in stock I Order just to be told arriving next month,  then 3 month later the order is cancelled as No stock.. [many time over the past year both on the tablets and the Spa]

Instructed by Hospital to soak and massage my feet for 20 mins per day there idea is get a bowl, get wooden rollers in bottom add warm water.. that is not easy as have no feeling in my feet for many years, so easy to damage feet....   everywhere but here? you buy a  electric foot massage spa [100's in Argos, and on-line  Ebay or Amazon from £15 - £130]

of course when I came here the £ was 76 baht, now last Wednesday [Pension day] was just under 42 baht + price have gone up a lot here in 13 years,  but still have no reason to even think about returning to UK.

Edit:  buy from USA or UK and have posted/shipped here?  but so many horror stories with that option.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

actually we keep our distance from frustrated Farangs who never achieved something in their lives, who can't adapt, respectively accept facts and try to boost their low self esteem by criticising others. it seems their way of "integration" is making fun of stupid Farangs being tricked into marrying brown Isaan girls and condemning Isaan or other Thai ladies who marry Farangs.

pure irony is when afore-said criticism originates from a Farang who married a Thai lady and sired four luk kreungs :tongue:

Oh dear:sad: Getting rather personal now. My four children are human beings, no need to try to belittle them by saying they are half-castes. 

You are doing exactly what you say those you keep your distance from are doing.

I also assume as an old German that you were brainwashed into thinking that assimilation of a farang into another culture or ethnic group is impossible because the original inherited traits can not change, they can only degenerate through so-called race-mixing. I assure you that I have no qualms about diluting my Aryan traits. I really can't imagine how anyone could be fooled into thinking that their nation  is superior to others.

Please keep you faulty ideologies out of a public, mostly friendly, internet forum where many of us do integrate and even have offspring with the inferior natives.

No place is paradise. And no country runs smoothly continually. I'll stay in Thailand. Fact is, I like it here. Prefer the web of people, friends, and connections I've made here over those back in the US.  Frankly, I get a little sick at the stomach at the prospect of ever having to return to the US permanently.  Been in Thailand over 8 years and haven't been back on US soil since 2012.  I'm more likely to encounter mobs of violent urban rioters in the US than in Thailand. And when the next major terror attack on infrastructure, cities, people, businesses, and government takes place, it will be in the US, not in Thailand. Watching the US media ginning up for war against Russia, I'm also happy to be out of the radiation footprint that any such conflict will inevitably leave.

Ridiculous survey- '50% of all expats'.

More like 50% of the people who took part in a Thaivisa poll, who represent a (Small) proportion of expats living in Thailand, and like nothing more than to grumble about the place anyway!

4 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Under 60s expats who are working appear to be the least happy with many citing the cost of living as a reason for their troubles.

Translation: The rising cost of hookers and booze outstrips their meagre paychecks . 

Spot on! There's nothing wrong with the cost of living here.

20 minutes ago, quandow said:

I moved to Zijuatanejo, Mexico about a year ago. Six weeks later I was right back in Thailand. Thailand has its issues, but it's a site better than most other places.

Mexico is an interesting option

I'm 2nd generation Mexican American, family originally from Guadalajara.

Mexico gets given the broad brush of everywhere is Sinaloa and drug gang violence infested.

A good part of Mexico is nothing even like that.

My problem with Mexico is the fact that even more so than Thailand, nothing ever works...at least all the time!

19 hours ago, Calach said:

Sometimes I miss the homeland, or at least Europe, very much. More like-minded people, less deadly roads, no language barrier, Italian and French food, etc... but I'm pretty sure I don't miss it as much as I would miss Thailand and the Thais after 3 weeks there. 

I was back in the US for 6 months last year and while I did enjoy parts, like restaurants I found myself wanting to come home pretty fast. I think splitting time here and there will be best if affordable. I do find it a bit crazy that many expats want to change their new country into the one they left.

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

Mexico is an interesting option

I'm 2nd generation Mexican American, family originally from Guadalajara.

Mexico gets given the broad brush of everywhere is Sinaloa and drug gang violence infested.

A good part of Mexico is nothing even like that.

My problem with Mexico is the fact that even more so than Thailand, nothing ever works...at least all the time!

Thailand is the far, far better option. Being originally from Texas I grew up frequently travelling to Mexico. And beyond the border on long road trips through the country. Did so since the 1960s with my parents. I always loved Mexico and always thought I would eventually want to retire to some small Mexican town, not necessarily on the Pacific coast, as I first thought, but some small town with a sense of place and history. But the country changed. Largely because of Nafta, I believe. Nafta effectively destroyed the peasant farmer, driving him off his land because he couldn't compete with giant agribusiness moving in from the US.  Not to mention the explosion of maquiladoras along the Texas border that disrupted traditional family life across all of Mexico.  There was always a violent, machismo streak in Mexican culture, but it was offset through longstanding family and religious traditions.  That is obliterated, now.  I wouldn't move there to save my life because it just might cost my life.  I don't think the drug cartel related violence is overstated.  

4 minutes ago, Usernames said:

Thailand is the far, far better option. Being originally from Texas I grew up frequently travelling to Mexico. And beyond the border on long road trips through the country. Did so since the 1960s with my parents. I always loved Mexico and always thought I would eventually want to retire to some small Mexican town, not necessarily on the Pacific coast, as I first thought, but some small town with a sense of place and history. But the country changed. Largely because of Nafta, I believe. Nafta effectively destroyed the peasant farmer, driving him off his land because he couldn't compete with giant agribusiness moving in from the US.  Not to mention the explosion of maquiladoras along the Texas border that disrupted traditional family life across all of Mexico.  There was always a violent, machismo streak in Mexican culture, but it was offset through longstanding family and religious traditions.  That is obliterated, now.  I wouldn't move there to save my life because it just might cost my life.  I don't think the drug cartel related violence is overstated.  

I think a lot depends on if you can blend into Mexican society.

In Guadalajara I look, sound like a Mexican, and is still in many respects what I think you as a Anglo remember from a kid in the 1960's

6 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think a lot depends on if you can blend into Mexican society.

In Guadalajara I look, sound like a Mexican, and is still in many respects what I think you as a Anglo remember from a kid in the 1960's

Cugat, Romay, and Guadalajara. 

14 hours ago, Naam said:

over a period of 10 years i have collected 32 Thaivisa versions of "Farang" spellings :tongue:

What about the Brits you meet who after multiple visits or even living here for years still can't pronounce Baht correctly.

18 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I've been here going on 9 years now, and my "happiness level" is about the same as it was in the beginning.  First, I had no illusions about Thailand being "paradise", or the perfect place for me to live.  I accepted it as a new, different country, with it's up's & down's, it's good & bad, like any place else, including the U.S., where I came from.  I didn't come to Thailand for Thailand. I came to Thailand to get away from the U.S., which was becoming much too expensive for me to live on my VA Disability pension.  

I've been married to the same woman, who is only 10 years younger than I am, for most of those 9 years, and have a wonderful, loving adopted son, who is working on his Master's in Thai Education, and a niece studying for her law degree, who calls me her dad as well.  Life is good.  Perfect?  Not by a long shot, but 10 times, or more, better than it would be back in the States living alone in an apartment.  I speak enough Thai so that when I take a 2-4 day road trip on my bike, I have no problems getting by. 

Life ain't "great", but it's damn good for me, and that's just fine. 

TV is on a topic dear to most readers hearts/wallets.

Above is a down to earth balanced view of life in Thailand by someone who finds enough to amuse himself.

Personally I find enough to engage me here but I am slack enough to take it easy for a large amount of the time.

As there are at least 7 pages of responses I have not read all of them.

Still would point up the fairly obvious that life is changing everywhere and people of certain ideological persuasion, are intent on dramatically altering 'our' comfort levels with their transnational aspirations.

Happy to continue here as a longterm ( hopefully ) paying guest and aware that on balance the frustrations here acceptable, with the maybe forlorn hope of Thai Immigration streamlining the visa process within my lifetime.

8 minutes ago, Usernames said:

Cugat, Romay, and Guadalajara. 

I loved that vid, if only any of them had even remotely been Hispanic, but at that time, it was all about stereotypes, blacked up Minstrals, and whities singing pseudo Spanish

18 hours ago, Strange said:

United States of America

Go on..... 

First of all I am also proud to be an infidel. Yes america has so many sites to see it is amazing, I plan on seeing many more before I die, but I do like it here also. I have stayed over one year this trip and will not do that again, I think six here and six there will be nice, and traveling with friends when there. I think April 1st to Oct 1st there will give me the best weather of both worlds. A fishing trip to Canada will be high priority too. Good luck

2 minutes ago, Grubster said:

First of all I am also proud to be an infidel. Yes america has so many sites to see it is amazing, I plan on seeing many more before I die, but I do like it here also. I have stayed over one year this trip and will not do that again, I think six here and six there will be nice, and traveling with friends when there. I think April 1st to Oct 1st there will give me the best weather of both worlds. A fishing trip to Canada will be high priority too. Good luck

Yep, I plan to divide my time also but will make the US my home base again. Right now its Thailand, but I'm over it. The increasing costs, the 'farang' mentality, I'm over it. 

In florida I can get get in the family boat, fish in pristine waters, take my catch home, mow it down, take a nap, and be just another person without hearing 'farang' bla bla substandard person. 

16 hours ago, Thaidream said:

As one of the posters indicated-there is little mental stimulation amongst Thai people. Even though I can speak Thai- all conversations involve  minutia- I hardly ever can interest anyone in a conversation abut something that matters or is important. Even my wife- does not want to speak about serious matters but can spend hours talking about the mot mundane subjects. While I accept this as part of Thai culture- I would be remiss if I didn't caution people who are considering a long term relationship or life in Thailand to understand that there is very little  mental and emotional stimulation. Sometimes, I think that learning Thai did me in as now I understand the nuances of Thai life. Ignorance was bliss but in reality it was based upon a false dynamic. Modern Thailand has exacerbated the feeling that people do not communicate. They spend hours looking at so called 'smart' phones and becoming more and more ignorant of the real values one needs to have to live a productive life.

So true...

I've lived here 20 years and have made lot's of Thai friends and always have been treated with respect, sure things have changed but I find Bangkok with all the life and services is still better than back home to retire with lot's of things to do and see. My wife has been asking if I want to retire in Australia, but a recent trip back blew me away with the cost of living there now . 

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Yep, I plan to divide my time also but will make the US my home base again. Right now its Thailand, but I'm over it. The increasing costs, the 'farang' mentality, I'm over it. 

In florida I can get get in the family boat, fish in pristine waters, take my catch home, mow it down, take a nap, and be just another person without hearing 'farang' bla bla substandard person. 

I love Florida and have friends who live there to stay with. Bass fishing is fantastic, I got one 11lbs in Okeechobee once with a good guide on wild shiners. Golf is great there too. I am signed up for a retirement home in Gulfport where my US base will be. Good luck and I'm sure you will be a tour guide for a few who want to come here now and then. Shoot the Gator!

16 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Totally agree with you about the majority of expats and tourists are not high quality foreigners. To put it kindly. Many are alcoholics, they date and marry bar girls, after living here for years can not speak any Thai. They depend totally on the bar girl for help. Bad bad bad idea. Anyone with common sense understands their future is all down hill from there. They bitch and moan about everything Thai. They rarely eat Thai food. They never spend anytime getting to know the locals . Ofcourse they can,t because they can,t speak Thai. They dress like total slobs, never smile and look miserable. Ever visit Ban Huay Yang ? Lasted there barely an hour .It was a freak show. They treat the Thais like crap . Scowl City. My policy is to keep a safe distance from most foreigners and the towns they live in. Guess what? Rarely if ever have i had a problem with the Thais. If you can,t handle it here please leave. More room for what few good foreigners that are here.

And all they can talk about is, bikes football and bar girls

Archived