More Negro Hatred of Gays

Oxx

In short, African countries are objecting to the United Nations' appointing an expert (who happens to be Thai) to investigate violence against gay people.  

They say that humanity emerged out of Africa.  Sometimes I find that difficult to believe given the antediluvian views of many of those living there.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/africa/86140542/african-nations-seek-to-get-rid-of-first-un-lgbt-expert

Edited by Oxx
Fixed apostrophe

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, ignorance and bigotry know no color, and speaking of that, why did you choose to use an inflammatory word in your title? 

That's what any Spanish speaking person would say. Is it more bigoted than the English? It's not the N word.

46 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, ignorance and bigotry know no color, and speaking of that, why did you choose to use an inflammatory word in your title? 

I'm not sure that "gays" is particularly inflammatory.  Lots of homosexuals refer to themselves by the same term.

However, if (as I suspect) you're objecting to the use of "negro", whilst the term has certain negative connotations in the United States, other countries, where people are more aware of its derivation (meaning "negroid" or "black") it is the preferred term.

To quote Wikipedia:  "Negro (plural Negroes) is a term traditionally used to denote persons of Negroid heritage. It has various equivalents in other languages".  Nothing in the article about its being inflammatory, and the clear indication there is that (in America) it's to be preferred over "black" and "colored" (sp.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro

Jingthing, what term do you think I should use to refer to these people? They're not African-Americans - they're African, not American in any way.  "Black" is considered offensive by many.  And "coloured" is used in South Africa to refer to people of mixed negro-Caucasian ethnicity, quite distinct from the pure Negroes.

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In the context of your OP the obvious term was Africans.

There are Africans of many different ethnicities.  The term I used (and which you seem to have a problem with) doesn't cover Egyptians, or Moroccans, or Berbers, or Arabs, or white or coloured South Africans.  It was far more specific than "Africans".

So no, "Africans" is neither the "obvious term", nor an accurate one.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Does anyone actually believe the OP didn't intend to provoke with that word?

In any case yes the level of homophobia in the African nations is deplorable. But they are hardly alone in that.

Dude, I know you are ignore listing me, I wish you wouldn't, but yeah for us, americans, its different. Negro, colored, its all different for the south africans (maybe all Africa, I don't know)

Its not just the 'white man' making these 'designations' either. 

I know a couple south african black guys offshore, and they get PISSED when you call them black. They look black, but are 'colored' and get offended if you call them otherwise. 

Personally I don't even try to get in that battle. I just address by name. 

Let's try to get past a word in the title.   I work with a lot of South Africans and most of them are white or colored -- and yes, they use the word colored.   The white SA's get upset with the assumption that African = black.  

There does seem to be a strong and open undercurrent of anti-gay sentiment emanating from many African countries.  

4 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

What about the United Negro College Fund?

It was started when that was a standard term.

They don't even spell out the word now on their own website.

So it's a historical LEGACY name.

https://www.uncf.org/our-impact

Our Impact

UNCF was founded in 1944 to help more African American students attend and graduate from college.

Since then, we've helped to more than double the number of minorities attending college.

Edited by Jingthing