Video of farang involved in Bangkok road rage incident goes viral

webfact

After almost 50 years in all parts of Thailand- I have seen many foreigners in a variety of situations and places get angry; raise their voices; yell; and at times use foul language directed at Thais.  At no time;  not even once; have I ever seen a positive result from the outburst. Through the years, I have learned never to do it. The reason  should be obvious.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, fusion58 said:

I fully understand the Brit's frustration, but he's extremely fortunate not to have ended up on the receiving end of the typical mob beat down.

Very foolish move.

Rubbish statement!

Several locals do not automatically become a mob because of one stupid, or angry, or idiot foreigner.

24 minutes ago, Travel2003 said:

Rubbish statement!

Several locals do not automatically become a mob because of one stupid, or angry, or idiot foreigner.

You just don't know what you are talking about, just like most people here.

13 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Does that not also require a driving license and insurance.

What exactly happens if a minor, under 15 without a licence, is caught? Do they fine their parents and confiscate the vehicle?

I notice outside schools in Pattaya hundreds of children ride motorcycles, 2, 3, 4 or more up, most without helmets, and there are no cops in sight. They seem prefer hanging out in areas where they can hand out fines to tourists, proving they really do care about our health and safety.

2 minutes ago, Asiang said:

You just don't know what you are talking about, just like most people here.

So most people here do not know what we talk about?

We are honored you have time, between your GoGo bar trips to educate us.

Just a spot of road rage, and the instinct to protect his child, nothing wrong in that. He could however buy a bigger vehicle, no way I would drive here in anything smaller than my Vigo 4 by 4, and quite slowly at that. I don't know why so many posters are always 'falang this' and 'falang that' and/or 'farlang' what the hell is that? When was the last time you heard a Chinese person living in England or the States refer to themselves as a 'chink', or an Italian say, 'well, me and my wop friends...................'   

First of all, we don't know this guy. As someone mentioned, how long has he been in LOS? I am amazed at how some people believe foreigners should flip a switch, erase x years of their cultures, and, experiencing incredible odd driving behaviour, expect foreigners, all people to know how to behave in Thailand. Thai people and expats living here should be a bit more forgiving. What about the Mai Pen Rai? True, shoving and shouting are not acceptable. I have noticed the same kind of expectations directed at anyone who comes to Thailand: Chinese visiting Thailand. Do Thai people magically expect all people from outside Thailand to be Thais, to behave like Thais? As we have seen, no culture is exempt from blowing fuses at times. In defense of Thai airport immigration, they do have some info on this as one enters the country, but I wish they had a website that would attempt to educate. Still, like I said, can we really expect all people to turn the switch off? Do people honestly believe all people on Earth should know what it is like to be behaving as Thais? In fairness, it might be a bit odd for Thais to face this, although the mini-cooper incident seems to invalidate this as well. Keep in mind that I find (and I am sure many would or do find) that looking at a stoic face, non-apologetic face can be destabilizing for some. Not saying that Thais, that all people, have been taught, know, or that this would have diffused the situation, but, when cultures clashes and ... crashes, sh*t happens! Clearly, we do not know the full story too. Was this a retaliation for an earlier mistake that the foreigner was indignant about: as in scooter chases car, after near miss, kick the car, or .... We don't know. No one has mentioned that he was traveling with 2 kids and a wife and that --in and of itself-- can be a recipe for losing a few neurons as well! We don;t know the full story! It is easy to jump to conclusion. As far as "assault" is concerned. Come on! Yes! Legally, as in US legally, extending a gaze towards someone could be construed as murder, especially if it is a woman, but, as others have mentioned, no blood, no injury! It is likely that the "recipient" will amplify things to exculpate himself. Still, as others have mentioned, it looks like this was not unprovoked. It looks like the other party messed up. But, we don;t know. Lastly, the cool and collected guys on this forum would never lose their cool, I know, but suppose you kill the scooter driver or both, as they both swerve into your car without warning. Still, cool and collected seeing the prospect of time spend in a jail for a few years become a reality? Imagine that the scooter drivers who were playing games on their smartphones service and as you start talking to them, continue playing! You would not lose it? Your wife is bloodied. You would not lose it? IN other words, you never, ever lose it? Come on! Are you human or are you so stoic, you could be labelled psychopathic? LOL As another poster mentioned, there is no information about when this took place. Could this be posted as a way to deflect or be a revenge for the critical words expressed to the HI-SO drivers of the mini (and all of thai people, by extension) a few days ago? This --in more that one way-- shows that owning one of those dash cams is crucial here. I would recommend spending the one with the rear view as well, for $2000. It works well. It is clear enough. This event could have happened outside of Thailand as well. Personally, I find that foreigners are ways too rigid when they drive here (I guess that comes with experience). YOu have to go with the flow. That is how Thais drive. I feel North-Americans especially see that line and stick to it. Go with the flow a little and you will be better off (and yes be a defensive driver, but don't drive 5 km/h either.)

That's my take. I hope I did not offend anyone. I certainly did not mean to.

Safe driving.

I have seen road rage in Thailand up close and personal when a Thai man got out of his car and shot a foreigner to death for accidentally bumping his car from the rear.  Thais have a very explosive, albeit immature, temper.  Be prepared to protect yourself in these incidents. And remember that you, Mr. Foreigner, may not be armed.  Of course it's the same in the UK if you're a good guy.

This is the 21st Century- which means he has access to the Internet; smart phones and every other device that carries unlimited information regarding the culture and do's and dont's in every country of the World.  If a person is to drive in any country- they best do their homework on the driving habits of that country.  It is obvious that this driver knows very little about Thai driving habits and cannot go with the flow. Thailand has the 2nd highest accident rate in the World. 

In addition, it is common knowledge that Thais do not take kindly to criticism from foreigners and do not react well to angry encounters. Yes, I have gotten mad before in Thailand and in public- many, many years ago when I was a neophyte and ignorant of Thai customs. I learned from experience why it never works and why never to do it. Many decades ago we learned by trial and error- now all you have to do is look it up on the internet or even better purchase a book about Thailand.

40 minutes ago, nemrut said:

Another belligerent low-life farang creating unnecessary drama in Thailand.  It's no wonder they often get their ass handed back to them sooner or later..

Always sad to see that other guys had theirs a lot bigger than yours ? right ?

10 hours ago, The man from udon said:

He will be on his way home soon then..if I was him I would tell the <deleted> kids to get their bags packed because papas taking them on holiday to the uk.

Yep  ,  ban him  forever ,  from LOS .

we  do not want that type of foreigner here .

10 hours ago, johnny Cage said:

"Leave Thailand you mean farang". Like asking a Thai in my country to leave for being an a**hole. Doesn't seem right.

Perhaps because you come from a country with a multi-cultural mosaic,where the term 'foreigner' just doesn't have much weight.

Thailand however, is a mono-culture projecting a very pronounced "us & them" mind-set.....hence the quote from a Thai bystander  "This is Thailand brother - you don't need to worry".  frankly, Im surprised the Farang wasn't beaten within inches of his life by the mob.

9 hours ago, terryp said:

"This is Thailand brother - you don't need to worry".

and there you have the problem , you could stay here 1,000 years and you will NEVER be accepted by these so called people (married with Thai born children...but NO RIGHTS ...Ridiculous).

All you armchair warriors commenting on this you are pathetic..;. they were HIS children not yours I guess thats the difference, you obviously dont value your children's well-being ..accident or not

GOOD FOR HIM..far too many idiots driving vehicles in this country that are basically not mentally capable of controlling as Numerous DEATHS prove daily

You gotta be joking! His car was barely scratched! His kids were never in any danger! I just hope he doesn't display the same rage towards his kids, I don't envy them having a father that volatile.

Edited by Sirbergan
Editing for factual reasons

Some posts containing derogatory slurs have been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

There are a few key points to note. Perhaps someone pointed them out in earlier posts, so please excuse me if you did...

Those Thai students had made an effort to see what damages were done by walking quite a distance from their own car to inspect the white car. They were also seemingly concerned, humble and apologetic, having both wai'ed at him in a submissive Thai manner. They knew they made a mistake and were not shying away from their responsibility.

I was in the similar position once in Australia, when I made a mistake, having pulled out in front of someone who had to brake hard to miss me. He got out of his car with a tire iron and I had to try to calm him down, which fortunately I did. Even careful drivers can make mistakes... a momentary lapse of concentration is all it takes. It can be embarrassing, but accidents do happen.

9 minutes ago, Sirbergan said:

You gotta be joking! His car was barely scratched! His kids were never in any danger, the only person in real danger here was the moped driver. I just hope he doesn't display the same rage towards his kids, I don't envy them having a father that volatile.

Did you watch the video? The Thai men were driving a silver car. It was probably just a side-swipe. The foreigner's wife or partner was only concerned about scratches on her white Honda. He was probably just using his kids as justification for his anger.

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

Did you watch the video? The Thai men were driving a silver car. It was probably just a side-swipe. The foreigner's wife or partner was only concerned about scratches on her white Honda. He was probably just using his kids as justification for his anger.

I already edited my post, I had the two incidents mixed up. My point is still valid, but note to self: Don't post late at night after a few too many beers.