Clinton calls for a united America ahead of vote

webfact

Clinton calls for a united America ahead of vote

606x341_348978.jpg

PHILADELPHIA: -- President Barack Obama joined the Clinton family and his wife at a massive party rally in Philadelphia on the eve of election day.

With hours to go before the American people decide, Hillary Clinton was rated by one of the last opinion polls of having a 90 percent chance of defeating Republican Donald Trump in the race for the White House.

President Obama added his own message of support.

“We now have the chance to elect a 45th President who will build on our progress, who will finish the job, who already has the respect of leaders around the world and the people they serve. Who is smart and is steady and is tested. Some one who comes to this office as well prepared as anyone who has ever run – more than me, more than Bill… the next President of the United States, Hillary Clinton.”

In a marked move away from attacking her rival, Clinton sought to raise herself above the recent divisive and bitter fray. Instead she painted a positive picture of America.

“We chose to believe in a hopeful, inclusive, big-hearted America. An America where everyone has a place, everyone’s included, everyone has the chance of living up to their own god-given potential.”

Following the star-studded evening in Philadelphia, Clinton ended her campaign in the swing state of North Carolina.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-08

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Sorry but the USA is more split than the British Labour Party...

It's quite split, yes, and if the democrats don't win the SENATE (and the presumed presidency) today then almost nothing will be able to be done. 

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's quite split, yes, and if the democrats don't win the SENATE (and the presumed presidency) today then almost nothing will be able to be done. 

Since Congressional Democrats will act only as cheerleaders rather than a check against Executive excess, I would prefer gridlock

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

I think that we are far away from any unity.  It depends on how grownup the people behave after the result. We will always have winners and losers and when you lose you need to dig deep and accept it.

trumpist losers grownup? You're tripping, dude!

3 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Obama's slogan was "Yes we can" until of course he couldn't...

Clinton's slogan ought to be "More of the same" - because at least she can deliver that election promise.

Actually she has made a number of novel promises. But they're contingent on buy in from congress. So ... well, at least trump will lose!

3 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Obama's slogan was "Yes we can" until of course he couldn't...

Clinton's slogan ought to be "More of the same" - because at least she can deliver that election promise.

Well "more of the same" is vastly more palatable than the Trump alternative.  I think we over the pond would welcome more of the same for now. 

It seems to me that HRC both is an ambitious woman, and is a woman who has ambition.

I do not expect her to just be the first woman elected POTUS. This would only be a guiness book record.

She - at her age - can decide to leave her footprint in America's  history for achieving  something really related to her and it may take some time ( not like building a wall). Simply because if not, she might be the first and only woman POTUS or a while.

To turn the page of a new chapter in History, you must not be the first and only, you have to be the first to break the glass ceiling, and open the door to followers.

So let's see, if she wins.

As the first woman elected as President of the US, I would have much rather seen someone who did not win her first public office (in this case as Senator from New York) as just happening to be the wife of the former US President -- but you can't have everything, can you?

It's a little late to call for unity when she's spent her whole career, and the current campaign, dividing the nation. The best that can said is that her campaign was based on nothing but vitriol for Trump and his "deplorables (half the nation)" and not on any policy proposals; so if she wins she'll have no mandate for anything and the Republicans can get busy with the task of making her a one-term president and keeping her judicial nominees off the courts.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

As the first woman elected as President of the US, I would have much rather seen someone who did not win her first public office (in this case as Senator from New York) as just happening to be the wife of the former US President -- but you can't have everything, can you?
You haven't followed her career if you think she is about to waltz into the presidency based on her husband. She's no Ying luck.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You haven't followed her career if you think she is about to waltz into the presidency based on her husband. She's no Ying luck.

I am well aware of her career but I still would have like to have seen the first woman POTUS who was not married to someone who already was POTUS.

Edited by JLCrab

More than half the voters will have voted for someone else. Half of the ones who vote for her think she's dishonest and the rest don't quite know what day it is. She will have her work cut out for her if she cares. I think she already knows who she will be working for so the great unwashed masses really won't have any further value until Nov. 2020

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You haven't followed her career if you think she is about to waltz into the presidency based on her husband. 

Unfortunately, she's not waltzing in there based on her popularity either. 

52 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Unfortunately, she's not waltzing in there based on her popularity either. 

Relative to the orange monster ... she's popular enough.

Here's what I mean. This girl was going to do great things regardless.

You can say alot of things about her, but one thing you can't say is that she hasn't EARNED the presidency, assuming she wins, of course.

Edited by Jingthing