Wine

junglechef

On 11/10/2016 at 2:20 PM, sharktooth said:

I go to the bottle shop at the intersection of canal road and huaykaew road. Very good selection and way cheaper than Rimping.

I checked it out and I have to compare prices if I can find the same wine elsewhere but they told me they would give me a case discount (I want at least 6 cases and probably a case of hard liquor) but then said their single bottle price WAS already their case discount???

Not quite sure I'd consider the same price if I bought 1 or 72 bottles a quantity discount. 

They explained they work on a 1.5% mark-up, I figure they'd have to sell a whole lot of wine to make any profit at that rate.

Anyways might be a good price but I never enjoy having to sift thru the stories.

Edited by junglechef

1 hour ago, junglechef said:

I checked it out and I have to compare prices if I can find the same wine elsewhere but they told me they would give me a case discount (I want at least 6 cases and probably a case of hard liquor) but then said their single bottle price WAS already their case discount???

Not quite sure I'd consider the same price if I bought 1 or 72 bottles a quantity discount. 

They explained they work on a 1.5% mark-up, I figure they'd have to sell a whole lot of wine to make any profit at that rate.

Anyways might be a good price but I never enjoy having to sift thru the stories.

1.5% sounds like BS to me. Many pharmacies are working on a profit of 400-700%. Can't imagine so many people in Thailand would be in the liquor business to make such a paltry profit! I don't believe a word of it.

21 hours ago, elektrified said:

1.5% sounds like BS to me. Many pharmacies are working on a profit of 400-700%. Can't imagine so many people in Thailand would be in the liquor business to make such a paltry profit! I don't believe a word of it.

They didn't claim other's work on the same margin just that they can't give (more of) a discount because they do

BUT......

You do the math :jap:

20 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Their prices per bottle are already very reasonable compared to Rimping, Tops etc so I wouldn't expect a huge discount per case. I also think they are a supplier / wholesaler as they shift a lot of product in and out.

anyhoo, up to you...

As I said need to compare prices but they did seem reasonable.

My point was I once the B.S. starts to fly (ex. they give a case discount, it's already figured in the per bottle cost ) it becomes laborous.

8 hours ago, junglechef said:

As I said need to compare prices but they did seem reasonable.

My point was I once the B.S. starts to fly (ex. they give a case discount, it's already figured in the per bottle cost ) it becomes laborous.

I have shopped many times at this place, although not for the last year. Their prices for spirits are indeed good. However, a couple of years ago, I compared their prices for wines with Rimping and found Rimping better. For example, Rimping is currently selling a respectable (rated 3.1 on Vivino---not great but respectable) Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon for 399B. I found nothing comparable at this shop at the time.

3 minutes ago, neilrob said:

I have shopped many times at this place, although not for the last year. Their prices for spirits are indeed good. However, a couple of years ago, I compared their prices for wines with Rimping and found Rimping better. For example, Rimping is currently selling a respectable (rated 3.1 on Vivino---not great but respectable) Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon for 399B. I found nothing comparable at this shop at the time.

Dis it have a year on it, or just a month?

2 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Some guy from Oz is running a delivery wine outfit here...he claims to cut out the middleman..with prices in the 350-450 range.  I think a case gets you free shipping.  The bottom line is a 350-450 bottle of wine here can be had in the States for 4 USD, if not 3. 

Many Australians on FB are saying that the brand he sells can't be given away for free in Australia. I've followed a couple of the posts and it seems he's not having much luck selling it. He claims to not know much about what he is selling.

1 minute ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I see the wine connection is selling 2013 French red for 379thb...likely another in the 3 to 4 us range...but their California wines are way expensive.

Years ago the Wine Connection featured some different wines each month in the newsletter that would come each month. They were always about 399 on up. I often bought some of the Cabernet's and Merlot's and some were very good. Then something changed as is the case often in Thailand.  The last few times I was offered a sample at the store, it was absolutely terrible regardless if it was Australian, Chilean or whatever and regardless how arroy the sales ladies say it is. I've had better luck at Rimping.

Anyone know about case discounts at Rimping and if there is a location where someone speaks English and could help me?

I went to Rumchok Plaza Rim Ping and was told there is 100 bht per case discount, that is 12x300 bht bottles is 3500 bht (from 3600bht) and 12x30,000bht/btl for 35,900, (from 36,0000) doesn't seem to make sense so wondering if correct or someone could offer me a case % discount.