Exporting my dog to the US

Hello,

Next week I'm flying Korean Air to the USA and I'm just wondering if anybody has any advice. (This post was very useful already, but it's a few year old.)

I've already booked cargo space with the airline. (FYI it was $200, payable at check-in.)

I've already got the rabies shot and (I very much hope) all the documentation from the vet. I scanned my documents and emailed them to Suvarnbhumi Airport Animal Quarantine [email protected]. They quickly replied that the shots were ok but my vet had not correctly signed and written her full name and license number with each shot, so I had to go back and get it done properly.

My wife has called the quarantine station (02-134-0731) and confirmed that I should bring my dog two days before the flight for inspection of dog and immunization documentation, along with a copy of my passport. They said an appointment was not necessary. From customer feedback I found on the station's (unofficial?) FB page, it sounds like a good idea to get there early.

I see the quarantine station on Google maps. LINK. Is parking there convenient?

I bought a good pet crate from Shamu Shamu, a store I recommend. And what I think of as a hamster cage water bottle, which my dog had no problem learning how to use.

The only advice I've read about that I haven't followed is getting a microchip. Sounds like a good idea, but I'm worried that the dog might have a reaction to it that might be a red flag to a quarantine station on one end or the other.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any advice you might offer.

Fyi, after reading this article, I sent an email to the authors asking about the Ror 1/1 form.

One of them just sent me a reply with this link to download the form: http://dcontrol.dld.go.th/index.php/download/108--11.html

Very considerate of him!

Here is the form, and a pdf conversion I made. Caveat: I will not know if they like this form at the quarantine office until I go there in a few days.

form_r1-1.doc

form_r1-1.pdf

Edited by Monkey Fish

i've made that trip a few times, from thailand to the usa with my dog...don't worry about the microchip...it's almost like a small vaccine to your dog...painless and no reaction...just get your dog used to the crate a week or two beforehand...

1 hour ago, hdkane said:

i've made that trip a few times, from thailand to the usa with my dog...don't worry about the microchip...it's almost like a small vaccine to your dog...painless and no reaction...just get your dog used to the crate a week or two beforehand...

After one immunization my dog got a big lump at the site of the injection. It was not a big deal. I'm just worried that a similar lump would be some kind of red flag to quarantine in the US. (On the other hand, I could worry about what happens if the dog somehow gets loose and loses its collar...  Kit mahk mai dii.)

12 hours ago, PennyFarthing123 said:

I do not know about Korean Air, but when I brought my dogs to the US on Eva Air we changed planes in Taiwan and I needed documents from Taipei allowing that. I don't remember if they were called export permit or transit. Was simple and done by email.

Good advice. I called the Korean quarantine office (82) 32-740-2660 and they said no documentation is required as long as the dog is not going through immigration (or whatever dogs do). I called the airline to confirm and they said we're all just switching planes without "staying" in Korea. So we should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback.

I went there this morning and everything went fine.

The place is a little tricky to find in the "free zone", but all you have to do is look lost and point to your animal and somebody will steer you in the right direction. At least that's how it worked for me. Here's a google map link.

Staff was courteous and professional. The vet gave my dog a pretty thorough looking over. Seemed to take his job seriously.

They tell you that you need a copy of your passport, but you also need a copy of the dog's vaccine documentation. Fortunately they do copies themselves for a few baht.

I got there shortly after 8:30 and was out of there before 10. Was even able to catch the 4th quarter of the Seahawks game.