Advice for first time budget traveler coming for a vacation

NanLaew

A friend of mine has been in touch and his 26 year-old daughter wants to visit Thailand for 3 weeks in March next year. It will be her first time and he has asked if I can be emergency contact as well as give her some guidance. She's has been in touch directly also asking for travel, lodging, eating and sightseeing advice. She is on a budget so would plan on 2-3 days doing the Bangkok sights before heading for an island. She hasn't mentioned going up country but specifically wants some beach time. I think I have her Bangkok plans covered and my initial suggestions would be either Koh Chang or Koh Kood down Cambodia way as they are probably cheaper than Samui and Phuket and easier to get to. She's looking for opportunities to meet up with fellow low-budget travelers and using hostels so definitely in the backpacker class so I need some information on good websites and online resources the backpackers would typically use. Any other insightful advice on things she may like to do like cookery classes, rafting, tubing, kayaking, local fares and cultural events in March, etc..

Thanks!

NL

Edited by NanLaew

I'd highly recommend she get the LP guide book, or Rough Guides.  It's not that much money and has a lot of great info.  It's not perfect, but sure beats spending hours trying to find the same or similar info on the web.  Sites like hostels.com and similar are great for looking at accommodations.  Most backpackers tend to just show up and look around.  Not a bad way to go if it's not during the high season or not trying to book a room at a specific place.

I'd suggest she doesn't do elephant rides.  The travel industry is a bit up in arms over this, and many are removing these from their schedules.  Great thing. 

Khao San Road would be a good place for her to start.  Plenty of backpackers there! LOL  Just make sure she's careful.  Lots of scams.  Some really dodgy characters.  Some dodgy transport options.

Her biggest problems will be with dangerous transport (night buses, minivans, scooters) and late at night, drunk, out with friends.  Please tell her of the drug scams here.  Somebody offers to sell you something and you end up in jail.  Happened to a friend of mine a few years ago in Bangkok.

Phi Phi is a great backpacker beach.  As is Koh Tao and obviously Koh Phang Nan.  Koh Chang has some nice options.  Seems many are headed over to Snooky.  My last trip saw hundreds milling around near the pier. I guess there are some cheap islands off shore from there????

I think she should definitely go to Chiang Mai.  It's a wonderful place.  Lots of young people in the city center.  And lots to do nearby.  Elephant rides aside....

When is she coming here???

Lonely Planet's website has some good info.  I like these two also:

http://www.travelfish.org/

http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/

https://journals.worldnomads.com/responsible-travel/story/81053/Thailand/Why-Elephant-Riding-Should-Be-Removed-from-Your-Bucket-List

Good links there craig, many thanks. I thought that LP and RG books had been pretty much supplanted for relevancy by some web-based apps that the millennials rate highly. I think I saw an article about on on BBC's Click. It's easier and faster to update info on-the-fly in real-time rather making sure that your guide book is the latest edition. I'll check their website's too.

39 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Good links there craig, many thanks. I thought that LP and RG books had been pretty much supplanted for relevancy by some web-based apps that the millennials rate highly. I think I saw an article about on on BBC's Click. It's easier and faster to update info on-the-fly in real-time rather making sure that your guide book is the latest edition. I'll check their website's too.

I travel extensively.  I use a variety of resources.  I find guide books are easier to use.  It's all right there, at least overviews.  I find trying to search for info on the web leads me to pages of stuff.  Some good, some not so good.  I use TripAdvisor (it's good and bad), Booking.com and WikiTravel fairly often.  It's really hit and miss, but the guide books have it all in one place.  Easy.  Plus, if no internet connection, you can still read up on places! LOL  Good value for the money.

Was told in the 1980's to stay away from transport arranged by anyone on Khao San.  30 years later, that is probably still true.  Was even offered an audience with Pol Pot himself back in '81.  

Back packers should use the same transport the Thais use, and avoid special back packer tours, unless they have a modicum of respectability.

Rails are safe for the most part. 

For buses, go to Ekkemai for Cambodian buses and Mo Chit for Laos.

If she is polite and careful, she will have an amazing time

In my opinion, you haven't been to an island in Thailand, unless you have been to an andanan island. 

You are right about Samui and Phuket, there are are still places off the Krabi to start with, that are backpacker orientated, rustic bungalows, cheap food, they can organize tours or diving courses, they will always be mentioned high on the list in travelfish - she will make friends there and continue her travels.

Lets not forget - we read some pretty horrid stories here on TV, but for the most part, young people do come here, do meet people, discover new places, make new friends, travel together, have experiences and move on. It's what probably attracted some us to travel, see the world and ultimately settle here? 

I read iamkochang.com for info on Koh Chang. Ian has a guest house there also, and he's a mine of info and advice. He could also arrange safe travel in the area and to and fro Bangkok. You could call him and also keep in touch this way.He knows all the best places to stay for each person.Read up, i think you'll like him. Koh Chang is quite safe, but as for girls travelling alone, you have to be that bit extra careful. Sound advice is don't wander the streets alone later in the evening, careful of Thai men hitting on you, don't get drunk  and of course stay well away from drugs and those people that use/sell them. Also, don't carry a bag at night ! I've been robbed once, and out of a whole load of people, they targeted me walking alone ! My mistake of course,i should have known better , nothing was taken, but pulling  my  bag made me fall over and graze my nose/face, knees badly and bruised ribs. I looked a sight! I now have a lot of clothes with pockets !!!!

I had the same type of email from a friend a couple of years ago - I began recommending some places of cultural interest when I had a "hit myself in the head moment" - -

mid 20s + beach + meet up with other low budget travellers = full moon party 

And that was exactly what the kid wanted... 

A 26 year old backpacker heading for Thai island(s) will probably have lot more fun heading for Koh Phangan and Koh Samui, where most young backpackers head for, than Koh Chang. Even travelling on a budget, it's possible.

Many youngster takes the train from Bangkok, eventually 2nd class sleeper, on a combined ticket for Samui, which include the train-ride to Surat Thani, bus tranfer to a pier, and ferry boat (they call them express) to Nathon pier on Samui. The price for combined ticket is around 700 baht one way (perhaps some other posters has an up-to-date price, otherwise that may be searchable at one of these sites:  SRT (State Railway of Thailand) and/or GoAsia (Travel planning in South East Asia - buses, ferries, flights, railways).

There's a good chance to meet other single backpackers or a group to join. Affordable accommodation can still be found at both Samui, and Phangan – i.e. I still see signs for fan-only-bungalows for 290 baht (that's how budget backpackers originally stayed here, before the islands got hi-so spoiled), but in the 400 baht to 600 baht level a night, there are number of possibilities; and if you share with someone, it's only half price. Food is still available for under 100 baht a meal – lots of delicious meals for 60-80 baht including free drinking water (when I can eat, so can young folks), perhaps 10 baht more here than the cheaper mainland destinations.

And Phangan is not that expensive, if one keep to the backpacker areas – my GF and I are surprised how cheap it is compared to Samui, every time we head for Haad Rin and FMP. There should be hostels or like affordable accommodation available. And FMP is actually better in real life, than it's reputation among us oldies – absolute a recommendable experience to 26-year old, if she's into partying...

Also the Bounty-style coconut beaches up north of Koh Phangan – Thong Nai Pan Lek and Thong Nai Pan Yai –  is worth mentioning.

I presume that Lonely Planet is still alive and have a web-site – I also presume backpackers may find what the need to know right there.

Koh Tao is mainly for divers, so in my opinion don't bother, whilst a day-trip with speedboat to Ang Thong Marine Park – the original "The Bech" – will be a hit; think it's around the 2,000 baht (or little less) level, all inclusive.

Chiang Mai used to be a "must"-destination for backpackers, so I would instantly recommend, but things may have changed...

:smile:

30 minutes ago, khunPer said:

A 26 year old backpacker heading for Thai island(s) will probably have lot more fun heading for Koh Phangan and Koh Samui, where most young backpackers head for, than Koh Chang. Even travelling on a budget, it's possible.

Many youngster takes the train from Bangkok, eventually 2nd class sleeper, on a combined ticket for Samui, which include the train-ride to Surat Thani, bus tranfer to a pier, and ferry boat (they call them express) to Nathon pier on Samui. The price for combined ticket is around 700 baht one way (perhaps some other posters has an up-to-date price, otherwise that may be searchable at one of these sites:  SRT (State Railway of Thailand) and/or GoAsia (Travel planning in South East Asia - buses, ferries, flights, railways).

There's a good chance to meet other single backpackers or a group to join. Affordable accommodation can still be found at both Samui, and Phangan – i.e. I still see signs for fan-only-bungalows for 290 baht (that's how budget backpackers originally stayed here, before the islands got hi-so spoiled), but in the 400 baht to 600 baht level a night, there are number of possibilities; and if you share with someone, it's only half price. Food is still available for under 100 baht a meal – lots of delicious meals for 60-80 baht including free drinking water (when I can eat, so can young folks), perhaps 10 baht more here than the cheaper mainland destinations.

And Phangan is not that expensive, if one keep to the backpacker areas – my GF and I are surprised how cheap it is compared to Samui, every time we head for Haad Rin and FMP. There should be hostels or like affordable accommodation available. And FMP is actually better in real life, than it's reputation among us oldies – absolute a recommendable experience to 26-year old, if she's into partying...

Also the Bounty-style coconut beaches up north of Koh Phangan – Thong Nai Pan Lek and Thong Nai Pan Yai –  is worth mentioning.

I presume that Lonely Planet is still alive and have a web-site – I also presume backpackers may find what the need to know right there.

Koh Tao is mainly for divers, so in my opinion don't bother, whilst a day-trip with speedboat to Ang Thong Marine Park – the original "The Bech" – will be a hit; think it's around the 2,000 baht (or little less) level, all inclusive.

Chiang Mai used to be a "must"-destination for backpackers, so I would instantly recommend, but things may have changed...

:smile:

Yep right on here Khun Per, you beat me to it.... about Samui and KP.:thumbsup:

I never understand this Samui and KP thing with people saying it all expensive.... yes some  is but too a lot of great small bungalows starting around 300 baht... same as it was when I first came 10 years or so ago!

Meals too are not always expensive!

On 11/11/2016 at 2:33 AM, craigt3365 said:

Lonely Planet's website has some good info.  I like these two also:

http://www.travelfish.org/

http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/

2nd Craig3365's Tezza link...best all around beach info available.

Does Lonely Planet still maintain the "THORNTREE" forum?  I used to get a lot of good up to date information there...also had to wade through a lot of b.s. but it was useful if you had a specific question about someplace.

32 minutes ago, dddave said:

2nd Craig3365's Tezza link...best all around beach info available.

Does Lonely Planet still maintain the "THORNTREE" forum?  I used to get a lot of good up to date information there...also had to wade through a lot of b.s. but it was useful if you had a specific question about someplace.

Thorn Tree is still around, but nothing like it use to be.  Seems the forum part of TripAdvisor is getting lots of attention now.

Suggest she stay away from Ko Tao Island as that place has too many incidents of bad things happening.

My Niece had her credit cards stolen and she has no idea if it was Thai people or other Foreigners and when reporting it to the police her and several other foreigners were there reporting the same thing...stolen credit cards and purses and valuables....and it happens everyday and 24 / 7 ...besides the other far more nasty events that have happened and still happen and will happen again.

If you are not there with her then the best advice you can give her is:

Stay away from the booze and boozers and the hard core Party Hardy booze guzzling establishment as the probability of trouble goes up ten fold,  while all too often the drinking involves "some" people or all too many people doing drugs ( Mainly Marijuana and or Ya Ba )

You have to keep an eye on your fellow travelers just as much as you keep an eye on the Thai people that are lurking about mingling with all the foreigners because for sure there is a percent of them that are up to no good and have bad intentions...especially concerning a young girl / women that they easily recognize as being a new comer and naïve and therefore  vulnerable.

More so than ever before a budget traveler making the rounds has to be on guard all the time and suspicious or wary of everything as it is better to be Vigilant ....all the time...... or chance becoming a victim in some way, some how.

Cheers

Most petty crimes in backpacker areas like Ko Tao are done by other backpackers.  Even guide books like LP point this out.  Especially when staying in very cheap places that don't have very secure rooms.

Ko Tao is OK, just don't go out late at night, get too drunk, or get into arguments with locals.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Most petty crimes in backpacker areas like Ko Tao are done by other backpackers.  Even guide books like LP point this out.  Especially when staying in very cheap places that don't have very secure rooms.

Ko Tao is OK, just don't go out late at night, get too drunk, or get into arguments with locals.

Yes – it's a question of how you behave, think (little) before you act, and stay away from drugs and folks that looks like into that – especially in Thailand, being in the wrong company at the wrong time, and you may end up being considered as part of it...:crying: 

Think of how many thousands of young folks heading for the party islands, and how few statistically get into some sort of trouble  – a FMP attracts 10,000 to 30,000 guests every month, and a huge number, if not the majority, is youngsters from abroad that attend one party only – much more important to advise about is traffic (Thailand in general, Samui in particular), statistically the odds for an accident, even fatal, are much-much higher, than anything else to worry about...:whistling: