Premium mobiles with 2 SIMs

MJKT2014

Hi,

Looking at buying a new premium mobile, it was going to be a Note7 but that's history and now thinking of either the LG v20 or a yet to be sold Huawei Mate 9. Big screen, good camera and dual SIM is preferred.

Q. I notice the LG v20 only comes in dual SIM option for Taiwan market but these are on sale in MBK now. Any feedback on drawbacks on buying a Taiwan model for mostly use in Thailand but travel to other nearby Asian countries?

If LG dual SIM isn't option, then it looks Leica (geddit?) Mate9 when it comes out. 

I don't know the specific model you mentioned, but one thing for sure, I would never ever in life by a "Premium" phone from MBK. There are reputable chains such as IT CITY or POWEBUY or BANANA IT where you can be quite sure you will not be ripped off and get a genuine original device

Samsung S7 edge.  This model is dual sim in Thailand,  has a big screen and very good cam. Prices are now falling as well since the model is some time on the market. You also get wireless charging, waterproof and fingerprint scanner. Sadly no USB type C.

2 hours ago, aussiep said:

Just something I read from a friend....

Dual sim phones........

they don't seem to work well with 2 sims from different countries.

I could be wrong.

Dual sims from different countries have always worked well for me - never had a problem in 10 years

15 minutes ago, canarysun said:

I am using a Huawei P8 Lite phone ! excellent phone for around £100 ( 5,000 baht ) just to add to that, the cameras on Huawei Mobile phones are excellent! 

C.S x

Great that you find a cheap phone excellent.  

But some of us want a lot more oomph out of our phones.    

The OP is specifically looking for a premium phone and has chosen two of the absolute top of the line models currently available.

A 5000 baht phone would not be fast enough or have enough features to make me want to buy it.

Each to their own of course.

Great replies guys. I notice everyone saying don't buy in MBK, and I must admit I haven't bought anything there since an Seimens S45 in 2001 for 13,500THB.

I have been using a shop web site in MBK (http://aobmobile.net/wc/) mentioned on this forum as reference to availability and current prices. The shop looks genuine and selling genuine products?

It's that web site where I found out the LG V20 is only dual SIM in Taiwan market, therefore a reason I might not buy it. I still like the dual camera lens options of this and the soon to be Mate 9 that is why I am hanging on for now. The Xaomi Mi Mix looks tempting for screen (but ceramic?), and the prices seem way too high for me like that of the Pixel XL and I think the Huawei brand name might be more reliable and better value. 

Agreed about buying from Mbk at on of the desk type shops. I picked up a Oneplus 3 in June in the USA, dual Sim, 6 gb Ram, 64 storage, 820 chip for $399.00 USD. Available on Lazada I believe with the Asian frequency. My USA works great here on 3g/4g. The new Oneplus 3(T) name not released yet but it will be available on the market in the next couple of days. The only confirmed change will be the 821 chip. Not sure what else will be changed or the new price. Worth a look at and can always call Oneplus direct to see if can get from them delivered to Thailand?

I've used Sony Xperia dual sims for the past few years (bought in Singapore). My current one is a C4 dual sim. Dual sim works flawlessly, but I've had the same touchscreen issue twice so I would avoid this model. [My previous phones have not had any problems].

Also, be careful about what they call 'hybrid dual sims'. These are phones that use the same slot for the second sim or your SD card. Most of us store media or apps on their sd card, so I can't see us wanting to remove that to allow for a second sim card. Ridiculous design.

I have been avoiding phones that won't accept a memory card. My everyday phone has 16 GB rom and an 8GB memory card. I am no ways even near using 24 GB total. The new phone I have on order has 32 GB of ROM so that should be plenty for my use. I have many photos and quite a bit of music on the existing phone. I had a problem with the memory card and after I replaced it, I found that I had had a number of apps on the defective memory card, plus my backups. That was an aggravation.  That made up my mind that a bigger internal ROM was better than a memory card.

The phone I have on order has dual SIM cards. Most of the areas out here in the boonies have good signals so I'm not sure if I will use two SIMs or not. It takes more battery power to monitor two SIM cards.

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:27 AM, tracker said:

Xiaomi mi max has no gps according to specs....

GSM arena says it does. GPS  Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS

Not to be confused with the newer Xiaomi Mi Mix which also has GPS and a daft name, although I'm sure it all makes sense in Chinese but I'll pass.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2016 at 4:12 PM, Gary A said:

I have one of these on order. The reviews are good. 

Xiaomi Cellphone Mi5 3GB RAM 32GB ROM Snapdragon 820 Quad core 5.15" 3000mAh M5 16MP NFC Dual Sim 4K Video Fingerprint

I don't need a powerful phone for my needs. My wife was using a Galaxy S5 and the mainboard died. Samsung wanted 7,000 baht to repair the phone. She uses all the social crap and the phones I use were too slow to suit her. I ordered the above phone for her. It wasn't cheap but it was half the price of the Galaxy S7 that she wanted. About 10,000 baht. After two weeks using the phone she is VERY happy. She claims that it is better and faster than the S5 that she had. She also loves the camera. How long it will hold up is the next question. Only time will tell. Best of all I don't have to listen to her mumbling about a slow phone.

"I have been using a shop web site in MBK (http://aobmobile.net/wc/) mentioned on this forum as reference to availability and current prices. The shop looks genuine and selling genuine products?"

This shop in MBK (4th floor, aisle C) is quite popular with Thais and sells genuine, albeit grey-market (in some cases) product.

The OnePlus 3T is due on/about 14 Dec. and has the Snapdragon 821 and a larger (3400 vs. 3000) battery, ~ 17,000 THB vs. ~ 15,000 for the 3.

There are a boatload of 820 devices with 2SIM in the 15,000 range.

Edited by mtls2005