Where can one sell some Bamboo?

MickeyMaow

unless you have 2 inch diameter bamboo then it is worthless. even 2inch is only 20bt for a 6m length and 6m is the standard cut length.

if they sell at 20bt then you will be lucky to even get 10bt per length,probably 5bt if they have to come and cut,collect, and transport.

if you have 4 inch or 6 inch diameter bamboo then you may get some interest, at 300bt for a 6m length, its more structural/architectural.

Most commercial bamboo is imported from  Myanmar, Laos, Malaysia and before it arrives at the lumber yards here it has probably had 3 days floating down a river after cutting to rid them of the bamboo beetle larvae. 

Whilst bamboo only lasts 3 years, I would certainly be happier buying commercial bamboo to use as scaffolding as it has more integrity.

needless to say; unless you have grown it to 2 inch and 6m long then forget it.

I'm just happy that I am not the only one that mixes Imperial with Metric.  For some reason for me...height is always imperial, weight is always metric, length is metric and diameter is imperial......I have however made the leap to all metric for liquids.....except when I have a pint.

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

unless you have 2 inch diameter bamboo then it is worthless. even 2inch is only 20bt for a 6m length and 6m is the standard cut length.

if they sell at 20bt then you will be lucky to even get 10bt per length,probably 5bt if they have to come and cut,collect, and transport.

if you have 4 inch or 6 inch diameter bamboo then you may get some interest, at 300bt for a 6m length, its more structural/architectural.

Most commercial bamboo is imported from  Myanmar, Laos, Malaysia and before it arrives at the lumber yards here it has probably had 3 days floating down a river after cutting to rid them of the bamboo beetle larvae. 

Whilst bamboo only lasts 3 years, I would certainly be happier buying commercial bamboo to use as scaffolding as it has more integrity.

needless to say; unless you have grown it to 2 inch and 6m long then forget it.

Nice one eyecatcher, good post.

These bamboo trees well over 2 inch thick with trees over 12m high. I was told that this isn't your usual bamboo that grows in the jungle, it's solid and harder.

So where go to for a buyer?

A few days

13 hours ago, MickeyMaow said:

Nice one eyecatcher, good post.

These bamboo trees well over 2 inch thick with trees over 12m high. I was told that this isn't your usual bamboo that grows in the jungle, it's solid and harder.

So where go to for a buyer?

A few days ago while driving not far out of town.., southwest-wards along the canal rd (Chonprathan Rd. I think), I spied a couple of bamboo timber yards, on the left hand side of the road. Within these yards there were many large piles of (large diameter) bamboo. Maybe it's worth trying and find these and asking ? 
Also..., just as an aside - the sighting of that particular bamboo yard got my creative juices flowing..., especially as I recalled several visits to the "Green School" in Bali. Google "Images of Green School Bali"..., to see what is possible when an open minded Architect and Bamboo meet ! 

I have had several relatives in jail for harvesting 'wild'  bamboo. Provable  proof of ownership of land,  species of bamboo is very important. I personally appreciate 'mai bpai', the solid core bamboo with the thorns for tool handles. Big hollow bamboo is desired to split for housing walls. Best to know what you have, prior to knowing where to sell it.  In my opinion 2 inches thick makes a good container for sticky rice, coconut milk and sugar to roast on the fire. No value.  Let it grow. This is like selling teak that is less than one 'sok' in diameter.    (elbow joint to tip of longest finger) .

......Ken   (Island Teak)

10 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

A few days

A few days ago while driving not far out of town.., southwest-wards along the canal rd (Chonprathan Rd. I think), I spied a couple of bamboo timber yards, on the left hand side of the road. Within these yards there were many large piles of (large diameter) bamboo. Maybe it's worth trying and find these and asking ? 
Also..., just as an aside - the sighting of that particular bamboo yard got my creative juices flowing..., especially as I recalled several visits to the "Green School" in Bali. Google "Images of Green School Bali"..., to see what is possible when an open minded Architect and Bamboo meet ! 

You are dead right, you did see a couple of bamboo retailers on the canal road. I once bought a truck load of 3 in and 4 in from that place. generally hit and miss though. when I wanted bamboo in 2011 it was rarer than rocking horse shit as the bad weather that year had wiped out all the mountain plantations.

I remember waiting 3 months and driving around every bamboo retailer from the city up to San Sai, and Hang Dong every week to grab some.....I got lucky in the end, I was following the delivery wagon up the Hang Dong road waiting for it to drop.

My 60 lengths never even touched the ground; straight from wagon to truck.

You mentioned the Architectural bamboo; the that place is also on the roadside, same Canal road. the name escapes me but you cant miss it, they are often drying bamboo, bending it into intricate roof designs. its very expensive though becasue it goes through quite a treatment process. A friend of mine used it on a retreat boat on the Mae teng reservoir.

how about the OP try there, perhaps cut a small sample and at least he can get some real knowledge of what he has and whether it has value.

25 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

You are dead right, you did see a couple of bamboo retailers on the canal road. I once bought a truck load of 3 in and 4 in from that place. generally hit and miss though. when I wanted bamboo in 2011 it was rarer than rocking horse shit as the bad weather that year had wiped out all the mountain plantations.

I remember waiting 3 months and driving around every bamboo retailer from the city up to San Sai, and Hang Dong every week to grab some.....I got lucky in the end, I was following the delivery wagon up the Hang Dong road waiting for it to drop.

My 60 lengths never even touched the ground; straight from wagon to truck.

You mentioned the Architectural bamboo; the that place is also on the roadside, same Canal road. the name escapes me but you cant miss it, they are often drying bamboo, bending it into intricate roof designs. its very expensive though becasue it goes through quite a treatment process. A friend of mine used it on a retreat boat on the Mae teng reservoir.

how about the OP try there, perhaps cut a small sample and at least he can get some real knowledge of what he has and whether it has value.

The company on Canal rd is :: CLC construction and if you go past their yard for c.5kms you will find Panyaden School, one of the wonders of Chiang Mai!

Archived