Trump's election leaves American Muslims reeling and scared

webfact

Trump's election leaves American Muslims reeling and scared

By RACHEL ZOLL AND DEEPTI HAJELA

On the morning after the election, Alia Ali had a sickening feeling as she headed to her job as a secretary at a New York City public school, her hijab in place as usual. Ali is a Muslim who lives and works in one of the most diverse places in the U.S., and yet the ascension of Donald Trump to the White House left her wondering how other Americans really viewed her.

"Half of America voted one way and half of America voted the other, and you're like, 'Which half am I looking at?'" she said. "You become almost like strangers to the people you've worked with. Is this person racist? Do they like me? Do they not like me? Because that's what this election has done."

American Muslims are reeling following the election of Trump, whose campaign was rife with anti-Muslim rhetoric and proposals that included banning Muslims from entering the country and heightened surveillance of mosques across the nation. Now, among many of the 3.3 million Muslims living in the U.S., there is significant fear, along with some reports of harassment; one hijab-wearing student at San Diego State University said she was briefly choked by suspects who made remarks about Trump's victory.

"There are lots and lots of people who aren't going out of the house," said Eboo Patel, a Muslim who heads the Interfaith Youth Core, a Chicago-based organization that works with colleges and government officials to build interreligious relationships.

At New York University late last week, hundreds of people sat shoulder-to-shoulder on a grand staircase of a student center to express solidarity after the word "Trump!" was scrawled on the door of a Muslim prayer space at the school. Students spoke of friends who wore headscarves or other traditional clothing and were afraid to take public transportation home for fear of being harassed.

Sana Mayat, a 21-year-old senior who wears the hijab, said the election made her realize "there was a large part of this country that didn't want me here."

"There is an intense state of anxiety about the future," said Rami Nashashibi, a parent of three and executive director of Chicago's Inner-City Muslim Action Network, which has been inundated with calls seeking support since Election Day. "I grappled with the conversation I had to have with my children."

The outcome was especially bitter following an unprecedented voter registration drive by American Muslims, including get-out-the-vote sermons at mosques and the creation of a political action committee, Emerge USA, to mobilize Arabs and Muslims.

Enas Almadhwahi, a 28-year-old Yemeni immigrant who has been in the U.S. since 2008, became a citizen this year and voted for the first time. To mark the occasion, she brought her 7-year-old daughter, along with some co-workers.

"At that moment, I was so happy," said Almadhwahi, who lives in Brooklyn, New York, and works at an Arab-American community organization. The next day, when she told her daughter Trump had won, the girl cried. A friend had told the little girl that if Trump won, it would mean they couldn't talk anymore.

"Everything feels like it's upside down," Almadhwahi said. "I still like to hope Trump will change his words about Muslims."

Trump's policy plans remain a mystery, but his administration could radically reshape the Justice Department, which has been an ally under President Barack Obama in protecting Muslim civil rights. Trump could also repeal a key Obama program that prevents the deportation of some immigrants, including Muslims, living in the country illegally.

Muslims had far from a perfect relationship with the Obama administration. For years, the president kept the community largely at arms-length, sending surrogates to meet with them amid a stubborn misapprehension, fueled in part by his critics, that Obama, a Christian, was secretly Muslim. Many U.S. Muslim leaders were uncomfortable with his foreign policy in Iraq and elsewhere, and objected to his program to fight extremism at home, saying the focus on Muslims ignored other threats from right-wing, anti-government extremists.

Still, Muslim leaders had built solid ties with many government officials. Now, they face not only the loss of those connections, but potentially a closed door to their concerns.

"The friends we have are going to be fewer," said Farhana Khera, president of the California-based civil rights group Muslim Advocates, which has represented clients suing over the New York Police Department's surveillance of American Muslims. "I think we'll be very much in a defensive posture."

Since the election, mosques and Muslim groups have organized community meetings and conference calls focused on how to move forward. The Indiana-based Islamic Society of North America, the largest communal Muslim group in the U.S., issued a statement inviting Trump to engage with the community, saying "many American Muslims are traumatized by the result of the election and the fear of what is to come." The group said there was no immediate response from Trump's office.

Sheik Omar Suleiman, resident scholar at the Valley Ranch Islamic Center in Irving, Texas, and the Council on American-Islamic Relations, an anti-defamation group, distributed suggested sermons for juma, or Friday prayers at mosques, stressing Quranic verses about remaining strong in the face of hardships.

"Have hope in the people because Allah may turn their hearts toward you," was among the verses they cited.

Faisal R. Khan, founder of a youth advocacy and peace organization near Chapel Hill, North Carolina, attended four Trump campaign rallies over the last year, in part to protest but also to speak with the Republican's supporters. Khan lived years ago in the Midwest, where he knew people who had grown resentful over losing Rust Belt jobs, and said he understands what drew so many working-class whites to the president-elect.

Khan has created a Facebook page called "Talk To Me America," hoping to start a conversation that can combat anti-Muslim bias.

"Peaceful protest is good, but at a certain point, we have to sit down and talk," he said. "At the end of the day, we're all human beings. We're all Americans."

____

Zoll is the AP religion reporter.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-14

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

His rhetoric is not anti Muslim. It is anti RADICAL Muslim and most Americans agree with him. That is one reason he was elected. The dishonest media continue to demonize the man.

The media are not demonising him they simply quote Trumps own words. Tell me where on this clip you find the word 'Radical"

A ban on 'all' Muslims NOT 'radical Muslims'! You are being completely disingenuous and we are not stupid people.  You are commenting on Trumps 'rhetoric' as a white middle aged christian/jewish male saying 'that's not what he meant', but actually that IS what he said. It's like a white male saying if a black person is called a n***** it is not rascist. Try living in their shoes (the Muslim or the coloured) for a day and then come back and grace us with your opinion.

Now show me in return one clip where he says he wants to ban radical Muslims only.

Edited by Andaman Al

7 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

The media are not demonising him they simply quote Trumps own words. Tell me where on this clip you find the word 'Radical"

He is not talking about American citizens. He is talking about a temporary ban on Muslim immigrants until we can figure out a way to vet them successfully. What is happening in Europe proves that we need to be more careful here. When he starts talking about innocent Muslim Americans, let us know.

Edited by Ulysses G.

16 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

He is not talking about American citizens. He is talking about a temporary ban on Muslim immigrants until we can figure out a way to vet them successfully. What is happening in Europe proves that we need to be more careful here. When he starts talking about innocent Muslim Americans, let us know.

Once again tell me where (as you stated ) he says this is about 'radical Muslims'? He doesn't does he? You are just making it up, be a man and admit it.

The US policy towards vetting Muslim immigrants is already extremely arduous and thorough. It is difficult to see how it could be more stringent, it takes two years. The crimes committed by the Muslim in Orlando was actually committed by a US born citizen.

After the shooting in Orlando, Trump tweeted "What has happened in Orlando is just the beginning. Our leadership is weak and ineffective. I called it and asked for the ban. Must be tough".

Concerning Orlando;

The shooter, Omar Mateen, was born in New York and came of age in Florida. He bought his guns legally and was a licensed, employed security guard in the state. Not one ban Donald Trump has called for would've stopped Omar Mateen.

In fact, of the 30 deadliest mass shootings in the United States from 1949 until today, guess how many were led by Muslim immigrants?

One.

Edited by Andaman Al

Quit the silly nitpicking. 

Muslim terror attacks in America since 9/11:

http://www.wnd.com/2015/07/big-list-of-muslim-terror-attacks-in-u-s-since-911/

Europe has already opened the door to Muslim immigrants. We have a chance to learn from their mistakes: 

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/europe-attacks.aspx

Edited by Ulysses G.

If they are good, law abiding citizens with no links to terrorism, anybody involved in terrorism, don't finance terrorism [ through their local mosque or some other way ] and openly denounce terrorism AND pay taxes, then I am sure they will have nothing to worry about.

Those that are worried possibly DO NOT fit into this category of Muslim. If they are scared they can always rack off back to their birthplace or some other place where Islam is more "tolerated'. :violin:

21 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Quit the silly nitpicking. 

Muslim terror attacks in America since 9/11:

http://www.wnd.com/2015/07/big-list-of-muslim-terror-attacks-in-u-s-since-911/

Europe has already opened the door to Muslim immigrants. We have a chance to learn from their mistakes: 

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/europe-attacks.aspx

You are the Phd in Pedantry !

I am not being 'nitpicking', you are being continually disingenuous. I bet you have not even read the 'Big List' you link to have you? The first 15 entries after 9/11 are shootings by the same two snipers (remember them). They were both American born and converted to Islam and changed their names later in life one had been a ex committed murderer (Christian at the time) . How would Trumps ban have stopped them?  Of the other items on the list one of them is classed as 'Terrorism', the rest are murders that were committed by people that happened to be Muslims, just like in the same time span their were around 100 000 murders in the US committed by Christians in America. Can you stop and think and rationalise before you start posting complete rubbish that does not in anyway support your argument.

The situation you describe taking place in Europe is NOTHING like what you or Trump claim is happening in the US. You trade in policies of inciting fear - wrongly!

Edited by Andaman Al

I personnaly am afraid in the presence of Muslim's. Here in thailand when I happen upon and area populated by Muslim fear grips me I am honestly afraid for my safety. It seems they look at me with anger in their eyes and look hard at me. Not a soft look in the area. It makes me feel like they want me out of there I am not welcome. But they want me to love them and accept them when they come to my neighbourhood. 

I honestly feel my fear is real and their dislike for me is very open. they do not even know but I am not muslim good enough reason for them t hate me in their eyes.

I am sure there are more Americans in their home country afraid of their muslim neighbours then muslims afarid of native Americans. 

It is  a shame people can be afraid in their home country and home city or town by people who do not accept the culture or ways of the country they migrate to.A person should be able to feel safe in their home country.It is sad migrants can restrain American's freedoms by fear..

Dear Eboo Patel. Stop being a fear monger and spreading lies and wrong facts. You say there are lots and lots of "people" not going out of their house but it is inferred because of the topic you mean Muslims. Prove how many this really is. You mean to tell me lots of full time working Muslims are not going to work, elementary and Universites all of a sudden?  They are not going out to buy food and water? Or what might might be true is you know a couple sick ones who are staying home for a day or two. I think that's more like it.  As a side note YES illegal anyone should be a little scared some of the time. Just like in Thailand and just like USA.  Why should illegal Muslims be protected?? 

20 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I personnaly am afraid in the presence of Muslim's. Here in thailand when I happen upon and area populated by Muslim fear grips me I am honestly afraid for my safety. It seems they look at me with anger in their eyes and look hard at me. Not a soft look in the area. It makes me feel like they want me out of there I am not welcome. But they want me to love them and accept them when they come to my neighbourhood. 

I honestly feel my fear is real and their dislike for me is very open. they do not even know but I am not muslim good enough reason for them t hate me in their eyes.

I am sure there are more Americans in their home country afraid of their muslim neighbours then muslims afarid of native Americans. 

It is  a shame people can be afraid in their home country and home city or town by people who do not accept the culture or ways of the country they migrate to.A person should be able to feel safe in their home country.It is sad migrants can restrain American's freedoms by fear..

I think you are completely wrong and need a little help. It's your kind of mentality that is making things worse. They are not trying to hurt you walking around lower Sukumvit or at MBK. It's all in your head dude!!

56 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Muslim Americans are correctly worried that white nativist trumpist goons will now feel validated to act out in many kinds of hateful ways. It's already started. Same thing against gays, Latinos, Jews, etc.

Welcome to the dawn of the American fascist era.

Well, if what you say is true then it's happened under the Obama Administration since that's who is currently in power.

JT, you used to be a well respected poster on this forum.  Unfortunately, you've chosen to react to the results of the election like an hysterical little girl who's had her iPhone confiscated for a few days by her parents.  

Difficult to call theTrump Presidency "fascist" since it doesn't even exist yet, huh?

3 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

JT, you used to be a well respected poster on this forum.  Unfortunately, you've chosen to react to the results of the election like an hysterical little girl who's had her iPhone confiscated for a few days by her parents.  

He does the same thing every Presidential election. You joined since 2012.

I am a Brit ,so dont know a lot about how Muslims act in America , but if they are anything like a very large proportion of them in the UK they stick together and very few denounce what the bad ones do , also the are quick to march and demonstrate against the smallest infraction against them , to be honest after working with and amongst them for many years , i heed the words of one i did business with , and that was to never trust us , because you are just a Kaffir ,he said it with a laugh , but boy was he right .

2 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

His rhetoric is not anti Muslim. It is anti RADICAL Muslim and most Americans agree with him. That is one reason he was elected. The dishonest media continue to demonize the man.

no - it's racist and anti-muslim.......you can't make excuses for what he said....and he knows exactly what he said and why. He's appealing to the racist element.

21 minutes ago, i claudius said:

I am a Brit ,so dont know a lot about how Muslims act in America , but if they are anything like a very large proportion of them in the UK they stick together and very few denounce what the bad ones do , also the are quick to march and demonstrate against the smallest infraction against them , to be honest after working with and amongst them for many years , i heed the words of one i did business with , and that was to never trust us , because you are just a Kaffir ,he said it with a laugh , but boy was he right .

You don't know much about 
Muslim people in UK either, it would appear.

3 minutes ago, Loeilad said:

no - it's racist and anti-muslim.......you can't make excuses for what he said....and he knows exactly what he said and why. He's appealing to the racist element.

being anti-Muslim isn't racist, Islam is a religion not a race and lets face it Muslims haven't given themselves a good reputation lately, even the the non-violent,it's all 'change your society for me'

6 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

So now they understand what it's like being a non Muslim in a Muslim country 

Actually, not even remotely true.

I spent over 10 years working in sensitive political positions in Muslim countries, and never - not once - did I ever feel intimidated or concerned for my safety. For the most part, the people I met were kind, curious about the US, and as helpful as could be. Even when I was evacuated (twice, from 2 different countries) because of domestic turmoil, the Muslims accompanying me saw my safety as their top priority.

I was in one of those countries on 9/11.  I was out of my office and when I heard the news, I returned to my office only to find my two most senior staff had immediately gone to my residence to take up posts to ensure my wife's safety. Contrast that with the experience of an Egyptian doctor who was working at the NYC blood bank on 9/11 - while he was rushing to prepare for the anticipated needs for blood at hospitals, his wife and daughter were cowering n the bathroom of their home in Brooklyn as angry mobs gathered outside and threw bricks through the windows.

Regardless of his actual words, it seems to me that Trump wants to stop ALL muslim immigration solely until an effective way can be found to weed out the potential terrorists. He will then allow in all who pass the new checks. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. He's trying to save innocent lives. I wish my home country (presently still in the EU) would do likewise. 

Why target muslims? While it's true that not all muslims are terrorists, it is also true that most (if not currently all) international terrorists are muslims.

5 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

I spent over 10 years working in sensitive political positions in Muslim countries, and never - not once - did I ever feel intimidated or concerned for my safety. For the most part, the people I met were kind, curious about the US, and as helpful as could be. Even when I was evacuated (twice, from 2 different countries) because of domestic turmoil, the Muslims accompanying me saw my safety as their top priority.

I was in one of those countries on 9/11.  I was out of my office and when I heard the news, I returned to my office only to find my two most senior staff had immediately gone to my residence to take up posts to ensure my wife's safety. Contrast that with the experience of an Egyptian doctor who was working at the NYC blood bank on 9/11 - while he was rushing to prepare for the anticipated needs for blood at hospitals, his wife and daughter were cowering n the bathroom of their home in Brooklyn as angry mobs gathered outside and threw bricks through the windows.

Try spending time in Yemen.

23 minutes ago, Loeilad said:

Since when was muslim a race?

2 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

A good post but the fact that two of your senior staff went to look after your wife's safety shows that there was cause for concern, crowds are dangerous beasts