Australian man Andrew Oake's third attacker arrested after machete ambush in Thailand

webfact

Australian man Andrew Oake's third attacker arrested after machete ambush in Thailand

By South East Asia correspondent Liam Cochrane

aus.jpg

PHOTO: Andrew Oake and his wife Nareerut Sawaengdee. (ABC News: Liam Cochrane )

BANGKOK: -- It was a six-year battle for justice that turned a grieving father into a determined amateur detective and united two families.

Australian man Andrew Oake, was killed in 2010 in a drug-fuelled and racially motivated attack by three Thai men.

On Tuesday, Thai police announced they had arrested the third and final suspect, saying he had confessed to being involved.

"We needed to bring finalisation to this, especially for my granddaughter Angelina, because she continually asks, 'What's going to happen? When are they going to catch the man who killed my daddy," said Andrew Oake's father Rory McDonald.

Full story: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-16/andrew-oake-attacker-arrested-after-machete-ambush-in-thailand/8028706

-- ABC News 2016-11-16

This is all over the Australian media.  Had it not been for the tireless and persistent efforts by his father these killers would never have been brought to justice.  It was the father who carried out the investigated and confronted the Thai police with suspects and evidence and the international media attention actually forcing them to act.  

Only charging them with weapons offences and attempted murder is rubbish.  The victim died from the wounds sustained in the ferocious attack and that is murder.  Does a person have to die at the scene for it to be murder?   

Everyone uses the words 'only farang' so often.

It is true in that country we are a second class citizen. I left for this exact reason, why don't many others do the same if you are 'just a farang'..

lets ts see what jail time they get but it's doubtful to be much.

3 hours ago, namoi said:

obviously mr MacDonald excepted him as his son and maybe even adopted him, bit strange that comment, most men in australia except a package deal when they get involved with a lady that already has children

do you mean expected a package?

What sort of package?

1 hour ago, malcoml said:

Everyone uses the words 'only farang' so often.

It is true in that country we are a second class citizen. I left for this exact reason, why don't many others do the same if you are 'just a farang'..

lets ts see what jail time they get but it's doubtful to be much.

Why is a Farang thought of as being a second class citizen in Thailand?

What do Thai people think about other nationalities like Indians, Arabs, Black people?

I know some of the laws are anti non Thai's. This is to protect people from China, Singapore, Europe etc buying up the land etc.

Most Farang's living in Thailand are far better off than your average Thai. 

So is it jealousy or just pure racism?

What I would say is in the case of a motor accident a Farang usually has to pay his fault or not because probably he is perceived to have more money.

It is a national pastime in Thailand to rip off foreigners (not just Farangs) I think we all know that.

I've lived in Thailand for 6 years. Most Thai people have treated me very well.

Just my view to date. 

4 hours ago, namoi said:

obviously mr MacDonald excepted him as his son and maybe even adopted him, bit strange that comment, most men in australia except a package deal when they get involved with a lady that already has children

I agree with you but what if the lady had 20 children which he accepted and played the fatherrole for?

24 minutes ago, Ratcher said:

Why is a Farang thought of as being a second class citizen in Thailand?

What do Thai people think about other nationalities like Indians, Arabs, Black people?

I know some of the laws are anti non Thai's. This is to protect people from China, Singapore, Europe etc buying up the land etc.

Most Farang's living in Thailand are far better off than your average Thai. 

So is it jealousy or just pure racism?

What I would say is in the case of a motor accident a Farang usually has to pay his fault or not because probably he is perceived to have more money.

It is a national pastime in Thailand to rip off foreigners (not just Farangs) I think we all know that.

I've lived in Thailand for 6 years. Most Thai people have treated me very well.

Just my view to date. 

Do I need to explain why many Thais see farangs as second class citizens.

I remember being close to a ralley during that red shirt time. I asked my wife what was said and she said basically someone of importance had just spoken with comments such as the Thai people are superior to westerners and thats why they do so well at university, espically when they study abroad. She said a lot of people believe this.

I lived here 4 years and did not find one true local male friend.

It is clear what many Thais think of Indians, Arabs, and blacks.

Most Thai people treated me well for the four years I lived there, others treated me well as long as i was spending money at their shop etc... A few treated me badly.

One thing I can say is that Pattaya seems to be the place to go if you want to find yourself in a pickle of sorts.

1 hour ago, masuk said:

do you mean expected a package?

What sort of package?

He obviously means "accepted" as in "she already had children so he knew it was a package deal" .....mother and children.......dig?? :smile::wai:

Im glad theres justice all be it too late. I have also been attacked by similar racist idiots but managed to walk away and although i lost 4m on a beach view 3story building atleast my family are fine. Wish there was more understanding amoungst the thai guys. They make ridiculous assumptions. Blind leading the blind mentality.

So glad the women and chikd are in Aus. Almost brought a tear to the eye. Good story for a change.

50 minutes ago, malcoml said:

Do I need to explain why many Thais see farangs as second class citizens.

I remember being close to a ralley during that red shirt time. I asked my wife what was said and she said basically someone of importance had just spoken with comments such as the Thai people are superior to westerners and thats why they do so well at university, espically when they study abroad. She said a lot of people believe this.

I lived here 4 years and did not find one true local male friend.

It is clear what many Thais think of Indians, Arabs, and blacks.

Most Thai people treated me well for the four years I lived there, others treated me well as long as i was spending money at their shop etc... A few treated me badly.

One thing I can say is that Pattaya seems to be the place to go if you want to find yourself in a pickle of sorts.

Red shirt propaganda and quite frankly rubbish. Unfortunately, many of their uneducated followers believe it.

Like you I would suggest unhappy Farang's in Thailand should vote with their feet. The majority will stay, however, why is that?

Just asking.....

5 hours ago, namoi said:

Even the ones that have been around the block a few times? I never did try to adopt my last wife's son. I had been around the block a few times. When she says goodbye and her lawyer says hello he says with a smile "Oh yes you have adopted her son that makes him a dependent. She will require extra funds from you to provide for him (your adopted son) as well. For the sake of disclosure my ex wife's son was a lazy little turd.  

2 hours ago, Ratcher said:

Red shirt propaganda and quite frankly rubbish. Unfortunately, many of their uneducated followers believe it.

Like you I would suggest unhappy Farang's in Thailand should vote with their feet. The majority will stay, however, why is that?

Just asking.....

I would say that it's available, attractive women, though most will deny that that's the reason.

Secondary reason would be low cost of living.

2 hours ago, Ratcher said:

Just asking.....

Mostly because we don't believe the crap that you have just posted has any basis in reality.

20 minutes ago, LPCustom69 said:

I would say that it's available, attractive women, though most will deny that that's the reason.

Yes it is the fact they can get laid with ease but back in Farang land they would be lucky to get to get one in five years.

If it wasnt for this everyone would move to Malaysia.

26 minutes ago, LPCustom69 said:

Yes, they are probably the main reasons. There are other reasons but it is off topic. I wont expand.