Chinese, Thai Tourist Numbers Up

geovalin

The number of tourist arrivals in Cambodia from China and Thailand rose sharply in the first nine months of the year, while Vietnam still led the top 10 arrivals. The number of Vietnamese tourists increased slightly, but the number of South Korean and Lao visitors dropped sharply, according to a report from the tourism ministry.

Kong Sopheareak, the director of statistics and information at the Ministry of Tourism, told Khmer Times yesterday that 3.5 million foreign tourists visited Cambodia in the first nine months of the year, representing a 4.8 percent rise over the same period last year. Mr. Sopheareak said from January to September this year, tourist arrivals from China rose about 12.5 percent, up to 577,283. Thai visitors rose 18.9 percent, up to 255,647, while Vietnam topped the charts with an increase of 0.1 percent to 695,670.

South Korean and Lao visitors dropped about 11.1 percent (263,882 tourists) and 11.5 percent (229,906 tourists) respectively. “The increase in Thai tourists visiting Cambodia is because Thailand shares a common border with our country. There is a lot of Thai investment here and it’s easy for Thais to cross the border,” Mr. Sopheareak said.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/32047/chinese--thai-tourist-numbers-up/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 17/11

I am glad  to see  that  Cambodia  is doing okay.  My friends  in  Thailand  have  all  said that  so far

tourism is  very  quiet  in their  cities  of Chang Mai , Hua Hin, Pattaya  and  even two  friends  that

are visiting in  Phuket looks to  me  like  another  standard Winter  for  Thailand

Geezer