Uk to Thailand , no return ticket?

lorrilee61

Hi we are moving back to Australia after living in the UK for a while but we want to stay in Thailand for 2or 3 weeks on the way,

Trying to work out cheapest option . Thought about Uk to Thailand on one ticket the buy ticket from there to Hobart, would this be possible, we might want to stay a bit longer that we thought. Trouble is we want to leave the UK around the first week in December so not that much time to work it all out. 

Can we just buy a cheap ticket from Thailand on to Hobart? 

Cheers

lorri

The 'multi flight' search facility on Skyscanner is excellent and you can book the 2 flights together even if you stopover in Bangkok for 2 weeks. The overall fares do not seem to rise with a stopover. 

If you know your dates that you want to depart Bangkok it will be safer to have booked before you arrive at Bangkok as some airlines at UK airports may insist on a ticket out of Bangkok within 30 days. Having said that i know myself and others recenly have not been asked to prove an onward ticket at Heathrow, but that is no guarantee.

You can satisfy the onward

ticket requirement with an Air Asia, or another LCC, to an Asian destination, and write it off.

You will pay progressively more for your Bangkok-Australia ticket the closer to the peak season/Christmas you get before buying it though, so it may be best to make a decision on how long you will stay in Thailand, and buy the Australia sector asap?

Your choice, of course.

I had to change a Melbourne-Bali ticket from early to mid December a few days back due to my gf being hospitalized.  The J class fare I'd bought on Jetstar cost me $599 each way, but went to $1300 each way 10 days later.  I'm now going late January, after school holidays, $599 each way.

Edited by F4UCorsair
spellcheck

2 hours ago, Belzybob said:

On my last five most recent trips, I have not offered or been asked to show the proof of return/onward ticketing at immigration.

Strangely enough both trips back from UK this year I have been asked show a visa at the check in desk. Once in Aberdeen and once in Heathrow. I was told it was because I had no onward flight.

Edited by overherebc
adding text

14 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

Same here, I've never been asked to show proof of onward ticket. Been coming to Thailand for past 12 yrs.

Again: Thai immigration is unlikely to be the problem.

Much more likely being refused by airline at check-in.

It they lookup the official rules at timatic you loose.

Similar case: having a return ticket for more than 30 days without visa and no onward travel in the first 30 day period.

Some are lucky, some are not.

On 11/21/2016 at 10:08 AM, Belzybob said:

On my last five most recent trips, I have not offered or been asked to show the proof of return/onward ticketing at immigration.

It's not immigrations but the airline that's likely to be a problem particularly if one plans to enter Thailand with a visa exempt entry.

I flew from LHR to BKK in early November on Sri Lanka Airlines.  I had neither an onward nor a return ticket.  The man at the counter said I needed one and suggested I book a cheap flight on from BKK - so I did, paying 40E for BKK-Vientiane.  At least I was allowed to board my flight.

All this to say you are much safer with a pre-booked onward ticket - it need not be a return - that is scheduled at some date within your legal stay in Thailand (30 days unless you have a visa).

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Again: Thai immigration is unlikely to be the problem.

Much more likely being refused by airline at check-in.

It they lookup the official rules at timatic you loose.

Similar case: having a return ticket for more than 30 days without visa and no onward travel in the first 30 day period.

Some are lucky, some are not.

In that case you're correct, in many cases I enter Thailand from countries other than US. If flying from US I always have a return ticket.

6 hours ago, acid thunder said:

What a horrendous thought.  How much did that cost?

a long time ago i flew air lanka from bangkok to london with a stopover in colombo.

i think that air lanka pay a large commission to the travel agency otherwise who would fly with them.

they played some irritating music about how beautiful was sri lanka

which,  having stayed there before,  is true

the landing was a hell of a bump just short of a crash landing.

when i made a comment to the flight attendant on exiting from the plane

he took it personally and became abusive while i was trying to make a joke out of it.

oh yes and they lost my luggage. so i was at heathrow minus any warm clothing

and minus my front door key. my luggage was sent on from colombo

and delivered by some aggressive man who may have been a customs man.

i guess that they were looking for drugs since many cruise ships

used to stopover in colombo and many passengers went shopping.

Edited by jobsworth

On 22/11/2016 at 8:31 AM, KhunBENQ said:

I have no personal experience with them but from the reports I would say there is much worse than SriLankan.

the cost one way was around £ (GBP) 250, with checked-in luggage allowance of 30kg, which I thought reasonable.  There is a long stop-over in Colombo but it allowed me to go into town for a beer and devilled cashews followed by dinner at the Galle Face, rather a nice hotel.  Also in Economy the leg space is more than on SIA (flew JFK-FRA-SIN the week before) or AF.  So all in all, unless time is critical I would consider them again.