SHOEI Helmets - Can you change the D ring for a Micro System?

JerryinTH

Hey, 

I got one of the latest Shoei helmet with the D ring to tighten it to your head. It's really annoying to open close it and I would prefer to get something like a quick release retention system or the good ol Micro ratchet system. 

Are those interchangeable? My helmet lets me remove the D ring strap entirely. 

Yes, you can. You can buy the complete chin strap from a Shoei GT Air and place it into your Shoei helmet. I'm not sure which helmet you have, but if you're able to remove the chin strap from your current helmet you can change it to the chin strap from a Shoei GT Air. Not sure if the Thai distributor sells Shoei helmet parts....

The attached picture shows the nicro ratchet system chin strap from the Shoei GT Air.....

GTAir-buckle2.jpg

19 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

Yes, you can. You can buy the complete chin strap from a Shoei GT Air and place it into your Shoei helmet. I'm not sure which helmet you have, but if you're able to remove the chin strap from your current helmet you can change it to the chin strap from a Shoei GT Air. Not sure if the Thai distributor sells Shoei helmet parts....

The attached picture shows the nicro ratchet system chin strap from the Shoei GT Air.....

GTAir-buckle2.jpg

Thanks a lot, I got a shoe z7 digi and according to the manual the strap is removable. It's just a real pain to get the D clasp unlocked with gloves on and it's not very comfortable if you need 3 minutes to take your helmet off. 

I bought the Helmet at Paddock which sells a lot of helmets, maybe they can make a switcheroo or have one for sale. 

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, William Osborne said:

just takes getting used to......i use an old Arai for my scooter.... which i can do up d-ring with left hand whilst driving... 1-2 seconds to take off...(using no gloves or fingerless)..... and wouldnt use anything less than a D-ring on a big bike...

Why?

Most major manufactures seem to be using the microratchet system and that can be done up and removed one handed wearing gloves, I believe it is known as evolution and the reason we are not still using wooden wheels....

4 hours ago, pbas400 said:

in my opinion, D-Ring is the best 

all Helmets like Arai, Shoei.... use it ! 

Okaay......

http://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/crash-helmets-for-sale-information-advice/safest-brand-crash-helmet/

I have not been through all of it as I cannot be arsed but all of the top 4 brands they have looked at for safety between 2010 and 2016 use the microratchet system

I honestly believe a lot of this blind unquestioning loyalty hinders innovation and before all the blind followers get up in arms no-one is saying either shoei or arai are not excellent helmets what they are saying is there are brands that are safer across their whole range and strangely enough most use the newer strap fixing methods

ps shoei and arai are ranked 5 (actually there are 9 manufacturers above them but Sharp could not split some makes as they where equally good) and 10 (actually 15th manufacturer) 

Edited by mark131v