Thailand’s Justice Minister Stands Firm on Removing Krathom and Marijuana from Narcotic Drug List

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks to see the  Justice Minister Gen.Paiboon Koomchaya is realizing more fast then any european country  that there is a need to regulate the use of  krathom and marijuana. The "crime" rate for dealing and buying these narcotics will drop dramticly and the police has more time to follow up other real crimes.

A good step into the right direction.....surprising that it happens and initiated under the ruling of a military controlled government!

smoke it at home no problem, but you know that the next thing these pot heads will do is drive.  then it is not a victimless crime when the moron kills someone while being hight as a kite

That is the same for alcohol and i can assure you that back in the Netherlands its almost unheard of to kill someone while high on weed. Alcohol on the other hand there are countless examples off.

Also agression from alcohol vs weed.. someone high on weed might assault a pizza or a candy bar but that is it.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The meeting was called because crackdowns in Thailand are believed to have forced people to buy the illicit plants from Malaysia, according to a source.

Ah, now that's why it's being decriminalised...hurting the home market and letting those pesky foreigners take all the profits.

11 minutes ago, Docno said:

It's ironic that in some parts of the world (e.g., Singapore), people are hanged for possessing as little as 500g of marijuana while in other parts, it's perfectly legal. It's ironic that marijuana is considered illegal in many places, while more harmful drugs (alcohol and nicotine) are openly consumed in public and in the media. It's ironic that wealthier people can abuse their artificially-produced prescribed medicines without penalty while poorer people go to jail for smoking (etc) naturally growing plants.

Just three days ago a man was hanged in Singapore for possessing marijuana with intent to traffic: http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2016/11/17/nigerian-national-set-to-be-hung-at-dawn-tomorrow-for-trafficking-of-cannabis-after-apex-court-dismisses-last-ditch-appeal/     

So to the anti Ganga brigade,cannabis ain't good for you and can kill.i hope they can sleep well at night knowing that this man was mentally tourchered for 9 yrs and hung for what ?

1 hour ago, orpheus454 said:

The logic is sound.

Prohibiting road rage, etc helps alleviate these problems and has no side effects.

Prohibiting drugs, while it may deter some from partaking, causes massive collateral damage to people's health and to society in general.

Prohibition is a brain dead policy.

Prohibiting drugs, while it may deter some from partaking, causes massive collateral damage to people's health and to society in general.

and what about the massive collateral damage caused to peoples health and society by these drugs and some of the people who take the drugs

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

There's no money in rice or rubber, they should get the rice farmers farming hemp to sell overseas to countries which are loosening their laws on cannabis consumption.

State controlled hemp production could a real cash cow for Thailand. 

Shouldn't that last line read: "State controlled hemp production could a real cash cow for a number of Thai officials"?

Edited by Belzybob
Format

2 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Could it have anything to do with the dollar billionaires that produce alcohol, like the Sirivadhanabhakdi family that own Chang beer and Saen Som rum among others? Or the  Bhirombhakdi  family that make Singh beer?

No.

2 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Could it have anything to do with the dollar billionaires that produce alcohol, like the Sirivadhanabhakdi family that own Chang beer and Saen Som rum among others? Or the  Bhirombhakdi  family that make Singh beer?

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

No.

Thanks for your intelligent, increase my post-count, in depth response.

I suppose you think that the tobacco companies have nothing to do with the banning of electronic cigarettes too.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He believes the move is necessary because the government has failed to curb them.

The stock excuse when authorities fail to live up to even limited expectations. Published evidence wouldn't seem to suggest that a herb is responsible for the  outlandish behaviour of most of the idiotic Krathom junkies.

It's one thing having a shoot-and-ask-questions-afterwards policy; quite another to wash their hands of the problem.

1 minute ago, Johnniey said:

Thanks for your intelligent, increase my post-count, in depth response.

I suppose you think that the tobacco companies have nothing to do with the banning of electronic cigarettes too.

I still say you're still incorrect in your assumption.

''In addition to allowing the reclassified drugs to be used in medical treatment the changes, which also involve the Ministry of Public Health, the National Farmers Council and the Narcotics Control Board, will also open the door to hemp farming as a cash crop, and pave the way for medical research.''

Edited by Bluespunk

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

100% agree.  The law should be DUI.  Driving under the influence.  Whether it's alcohol, pot, medicine, whatever, you are impaired and should be illegal to drive.  They should make pot like alcohol.  Regulate it.  But not put somebody in jail for 10 years for possession....or extort big amounts of money.

I have already seen commercials in the US. "don't drive buzzed". Get caught and it is same as getting a DUI. 

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

There's no money in rice or rubber, they should get the rice farmers farming hemp to sell overseas to countries which are loosening their laws on cannabis consumption.

State controlled hemp production could a real cash cow for Thailand. 

Hemp is a very useful crop for many things and could open new industries here in Thailand helping many people, it is the strongest plant fiber in the world and will be big in the rope, textile, plastic, etc industries. Smartest thing they could do right now.

The trouble with these threads is that the topic quickly gets shifted to the legalisation particularly by the pro-cannabis side.

My point is the thread is discussed as if Thailand were a developed Western nation with a firm rule of law, without endemic corruption and the ability to make mature decisions in the national interest and not in the interest of powerful lobby groups.

I would like to see more posters focusing on the legalisation of drugs in a Thai context and not in an American or European context which is largely irrelevant here.

I remember sitting on a beach in India, Puri, where alcohol is banned but one could buy opium and marijuana from government shops. I was speaking with a government official who was utterly shocked when I said we, as kids, were given hot toddies to cure a cold. I was utterly shocked when he said they gave opium to babies to stop them crying. 

Bottom line, alcohol kills millions of people each year and ruins the lives of tens of millions, marijuana kills hardly any.

Edited by Johnniey

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

There's enough money in rice and rubber as long as you produce it on an efficient large scale and sell to the right customer.

Thai mariuhana is full of seeds which lowers the quality, they better improve that first.

I believe the weed comes from Laos,not Thailand!!

39 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Erm, yes theres a problem there, its against the law and for good reason.

I have heard so many arguments for and against, and in my opinion I think its a bad idea. I have bothered to inform myself at least to a reasonable extent so dont think i am ill informed.

There are just too many unknowns and far too many scientific facts against the damage the drug "can" do. It seems to me a lot of the Pro campaigners are simply users who see no harm.

I challenge you to find a doctor that would say you are better to drink alcohol than smoke pot. I don't smoke pot but many of my friends back home do everyday and they have all their lives, while working hard happily retired, married with no domestic brawls at home.

Have you ever seen a story say " he came home after smoking pot and beat the wife and kids" ?  No you haven't and never will .

There maybe some unknowns but they must be well hidden as they have millions of life long pot users coming into clinics every day and can't seem to find these horrible unknowns. At the same time they are telling millions of Alcohol users to prepare for death your pancreas, liver, throat, etc are shot from drinking. The prisons are loaded with guys that committed horrible crimes when drunk, that would otherwise never have done. Very few go to prison for something they did because they were stoned on pot.

Yes sir you are very ill informed. I would say not informed at all about this subject.  Ask a doctor,  Ask a cop,  Ask a wife.

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Wow. A story that isn't completely silly and makes sense. A rarerety on Thaivisa.

Agreed.  But surely, this is the first we heard of it, isn't it?   I was hoping that they had got some sense and as a result, it is a face-saving exercise.   They never like to say they were wrong so I hoped it was a way of keeping Ya Ba on the banned list by making us all think the previous numerous silly statements about removing it were all about these two relatively benign  drugs.    Benign, in comparison, that is, to Meth/ICE/P/Ya Ba which has been discussed several times as coming off the banned list.

The full article  says that plans are still afoot to  reduce the category of Ya Ba "but possibly not until the end of the year."  That is only a month away unless they mean the end 2017!!

Ya Ba is a horror drug in the community, and most likely an active component in many "out of character"  road rages and many otherwise unexplained Thai temper-tantrum murders and other outrageous crimes of violence.   It would be stupid to remove the laws against it. It causes much more harm than opium & its derivatives & substitutes, olr these two herbs.  While extacy & LSD may make people think they can fly, very few drugs produce social problems and dangers to other people like those associated with Ya Ba.

By all means reduce penalties to "misdemeanor" on use and possession of a minute amount and run public awareness campaigns on its dangers.  Continue to offer treatment for addiction but lock the B&&%%#ds up for years who are caught selling it or in possession of quantities big enough to be for sale.

Edited by The Deerhunter

1 hour ago, yardrunner said:

and what about the massive collateral damage caused to peoples health and society by these drugs and some of the people who take the drugs

Example?

2 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Surely you have to be caught in possession before the police can make an arrest and charge you?

They raid niteclubs  and on Asoke in Bangkok they were making people do piss tests, Krazy

Edited by Ireland32

2 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Surely you have to be caught in possession before the police can make an arrest and charge you?

No, they can stop you in the street and make you take a piss test right where you stand. If you refuse it's off to the station for resisting a police officer. If the test shows drug use, you will be arrested. 

So if you come from a maryauna legal country, you could be arrested on the day you arrive. 

No, they can stop you in the street and make you take a piss test right where you stand. If you refuse it's off to the station for resisting a police officer. If the test shows drug use, you will be arrested. 
So if you come from a maryauna legal country, you could be arrested on the day you arrive. 

This is true.

I am surprised countries have not issued travel advisories warning of a jail sentence if a random urine test is failed even if a joint was smoked a month prior in Amsterdam.

Marijuana can be detected in your urine for up to 90 days.

5 minutes ago, hohososo said:

This is true.

I am surprised countries have not issued travel advisories warning of a jail sentence if a random urine test is failed even if a joint was smoked a month prior in Amsterdam.

Marijuana can be detected in your urine for up to 90 days.

Do you have a link to prove this to be true?

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

The trouble with these threads is that the topic quickly gets shifted to the legalisation particularly by the pro-cannabis side.

My point is the thread is discussed as if Thailand were a developed Western nation with a firm rule of law, without endemic corruption and the ability to make mature decisions in the national interest and not in the interest of powerful lobby groups.

I would like to see more posters focusing on the legalisation of drugs in a Thai context and not in an American or European context which is largely irrelevant here.

In a Thai context, the prisons are full of thai youth subjected to all sorts of inhumane practices for nothing more than smoking pot. They never recover to be a normal productive human being completely. Their lives are ruined beyond repair. That is the situation in Thailand.