The Dan Singh Khon market, when best to visit?

KIO

Hi all,

If this topic should be in the central forum, please move it.

Have been going to wonderful Huay Yang evey other weekend and I stumbled upon information of a market called Dan Singh Khon which borders with Burma only 30 kms away. Sounds really cool and interessting and was hoping for some basic information in regards to when it's best to visit? As we are there on the weekends, is Saturday or Sunday morning the best time to go? Is the market open every day?

Cheers!

KIO

31 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

It is open every day but far more vendors and foot traffic on the weekends.

As with most all the markets many vendors are selling the same kinds of stuff but if you haven' t gone it is worth a visit IMO.

Many thanks, was planning on going next weekend which sounds good from your description. And yes, same things everywhere but like to soak up the atmosphere whenever we go driving around Thailand.

Cheers

KIO

We've gone Saturday morning around 8.  Seemed most vendors there.   Prachuap is 20+- minutes away if you decide to overnight it.  Nice little town if you haven't visited.

Thanks for the input. We'll be staying in Huay Yang which is roughly 30 kms away which makes this market a very nice morning excursion.

Cheers

KIO

Skickat från min G7-L01 via Tapatalk

Is a day trip possible from Hua Hin? How long would the driving time be?

Made the drive from Soi 89 to Huay Yang at noon on Friday last week in 90 minutes flat... so surley the trip can be made under 2 h from HH.

KIO

Far far better market at Cha am on a wednesday

Don't think one goes specificly in regards to what's sold at the market... more to soak in the ambiance so close to the boarder. At least that's why we're going.

KIO

2 hours ago, KIO said:

Best time is early Saturday.

Most Thai markets sell much of the same stuff.

This one has a lot of Burmese influence.

Well worth a visit.

Don't think one goes specificly in regards to what's sold at the market... more to soak in the ambiance so close to the boarder. At least that's why we're going.

KIO

Formerly this market has been called „Burmese Market“ as the Burmese were coming over the border selling plants and wild flowers from the jungle. This is all gone by today. You hardly find Burmese anymore or only in very remote corners of the now very extended market. The market has been undergone a dramatic modernizing shift in recent years. Big buildings and sales halls have been erected. My guess is that the Burmese are unable to cope with the lifted rental rates.

To my impression it is nowadays a Thai market with a lot of stuff that you find at other Thai markets, too. I do not understand why gold shops and Indian jewellers have to sell their valuables in the sheer “middle of nowhere” and why Thais from neighbouring cities come to buy clothes here.

But be it as it is: The Burmese influence has long gone and with it the real attraction and atmosphere of this market. It is now just another Thai border market like any of them at other places. So do not expect too much.

If you climb that little road to the border barrier you have a nice overview over the whole market. The border can only be crossed by Burmese. Foreigners and Thais are not allowed.

Edited by nofarang

Formerly this market has been called „Burmese Market“ as the Burmese were coming over the border selling plants and wild flowers from the jungle. This is all gone by today. You hardly find Burmese anymore or only in very remote corners of the now very extended market. The market has been undergone a dramatic modernizing shift in recent years. Big buildings and sales halls have been erected. My guess is that the Burmese are unable to cope with the lifted rental rates.

To my impression it is nowadays a Thai market with a lot of stuff that you find at other Thai markets, too. I do not understand why gold shops and Indian jewellers have to sell their valuables in the sheer “middle of nowhere” and why Thais from neighbouring cities come to buy clothes here.

But be it as it is: The Burmese influence has long gone and with it the real attraction and atmosphere of this market. It is now just another Thai border market like any of them at other places. So do not expect too much.

If you climb that little road to the border barrier you have a nice overview over the whole market. The border can only be crossed by Burmese. Foreigners and Thais are not allowed.

Many thanks for your input!

KIO