Vegan Protein

AussieRules

Hi Guys

I've been using protein supplements back home and run out, most people use Whey based ones which are easy to find, but give me serious stomach cramps.

Does anybody know where I can track down the vegan/vegetable sourced protein powders (ideally flavoured) in Bangkok ?

Thanks

Go to Ebay & buy spirulina the cheapest place to get the good shit is Greece the Chinese have it cheaper but have trust issues & in Thailand is rip off prices, i have been vegetarian 37 years , the stuff is good & hasnt removed all the toxins like ciggarete filter   like liver  that the fat f---s eat & has more protein & vitamins Dah

4 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Eat beans , asparagus, spinatch,  and tofu,

Buying protein in powder form? Gotta be unhealthy and un natural.

Asparagus and spinach contain almost no protein, just a couple of percent. Hardly something for someone switching from 90% whey.

Most brands carry soy protein, which might be an alternative, although I would recommend the OP to go for a high grade Whey isolate powder, without all the additives that usually cause stomach issues. I use Optimum Nutrition which tastes well and is top notch quality.

Edited by ThailandLOS

humans don't need tons of protein, its over hyped, unless your looking to gain muscle. Beans, tofu, nuts and seeds spring to mind, wholegrains have some protein too. Protein powders are not the healthiest things to consume, and if your not working out at the gym you don't need it.

No wonder whey gives you cramps. That's like the worst sh.. you can put into your body. 

But these other people saying that if it's in powder form then it's not healthy is plain bs. 

If you choose the right one it's actually better. From good sources without the pesticides etc

They simply get rid of the water content that's all. 

I think your best bet is to order online coz it's not really available in Thailand. Even if you can find it in bkk it will be so overpriced you won't buy it for too long. 

Protein is available in Thailand from Lazada and Phuket Health Foods, among others.  Best deal is to order online from iHerb.  Must keep it around $40 to avoid customs.  If you need more, wait a day and place another order.  Shipping is free. 

To Aussie Rules.

Surely Whey based protein powders are not vegan !

Vegan means no animal products of any kind.

Read labels carefully and look on line to check if any so called vegan based also contain milk etc.

If you intend to become vegan don't suddenly stop animal products, do it over a few week.

Some of the soy protein products for cooking taste terrible, unfortunately.

I have been vegetarian since 1971 and a vegan for about 40 years.

I did notice ( as did my daughter when she changed her diet ) when becoming vegetarian ( at the time 1970's and 80's it meant no meat / fish  - now often has different connotations ) that aggressive strength was less but stamina more.   I had been a competitive swimmer in the pool and sea and a keen surfer, my daughter a competitive swimmer.   

Good luck in search for a non animal based source of good protein.

Not sure about BKK, but you can get hemp and pea protein powders online.  Prices seem to be about the same across different countries, so may as well source in Thailand.

I think the "protein hard on kidneys" thing needs qualifying.  There are some studies that suggest it might not be a good idea if the kidneys are compromised, but if functioning normally they manage just fine.  This has been an area of debate for at least 15 years that I know, and probably a lot longer than that.

A bigger issue is whether you are able to absorb very large quantities of proteins in one go, or will it deplete the system of supporting resources and it just gets used as fuel rather than it's component aminos?  I know I've had this where I ate whole chickens trying to bulk up, and what came out the other end was pretty much how it was when it was chewed and swallowed, not your regular brown "Mr Hanky".

3 hours ago, Shiver said:

I think the "protein hard on kidneys" thing needs qualifying.  There are some studies that suggest it might not be a good idea if the kidneys are compromised, but if functioning normally they manage just fine.  This has been an area of debate for at least 15 years that I know, and probably a lot longer than that.

There have been plenty of studies around this and there are no indications of amounts around 200g/day (or even higher) causing any kidney issues.  This is about the level needed for someone who's aiming to build muscle at an optimum level (about 2 grams of protein per 1 kg body mass).

Otherwise 1 g protein per 1 kg of body mass is sufficient to sustain muscle mass.