Vehicle pile-up in China leaves 17 people dead, 37 injured

webfact

Vehicle pile-up in China leaves 17 people dead, 37 injured 

BEIJING (AP) — Dozens of vehicles collided amid snowy weather in northern China, leaving 17 dead and 37 injured, state media reported Tuesday.

A total of 56 vehicles were involved in the accident on a major expressway in Shanxi province on Monday under cold, slick conditions, according to the official Xinhua News Agency. It cited local authorities as saying the injured were in stable condition.

A rescue operation was launched involving local police, firefighters, doctors and government officials.

Xinhua said an investigation into the cause of the accident is under way. Highway accidents are common in China because of high speeds, aggressive driving and a failure to leave adequate braking distance.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-22

1 hour ago, spiritrace said:

I've been to China a few times. It's like DEATH RACE 2000. It's amazing that more people are not killed.

More than what? It is a state secret how many killed here. But in my small city it is estimated between 50-100 daily.

They had a hard time transitioning from coolie (  A coolie during the 19th and early 20th century, was a term for an indentured servant ..... The term coolie was also applied to Chinese workers) to cool headed drivers. I guess they did not handle the Chinese governments big leap forward so well. Do they have winter tires in China?