Taxi drivers attacked in Pattaya Walking Street

webfact

Taxi drivers attacked in Pattaya Walking Street

By Albert Jack -

taxi-mafia-fight-1.jpg?resize=696,391

PATTAYA: -- At 2am, on the morning of November 22, Pattaya police were called to Walking Street after reports of a disturbance.

Witnesses had said that a group of around ten young Thai men, probably teenagers, had surrounded a taxi and were smashing it and attacking the driver.

The victim, taxi driver Mr Boontham Boonmeema, was bloodied and bruised and his clothing had been torn.

Other taxi drivers had gone to assist but they too were attacked by the mob and their cars damaged.

Mr Boonthan told officers that he and his friends had only just received permits to work in the area two days previously and so they are convinced the attack was ordered by other rival taxi drivers.

He was taken to hospital for treatment to his injuries and investigating officers are taking statement from other taxi and baht bus drivers in the area.

Report by Pattaya One News Team

Source: http://pattayaone.news/en/taxi-drivers-attacked-walking-street/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-11-22

14 hours ago, sharecropper said:

They're not taxis anyway. They don't use meters (and what's with that? Hysteria in Bangkok, total silence in Pattaya on that issue alone). They're just private hire vehicles driven by thugs.

Meters in Pattaya won't work anyway.

Getting the taxi started will cost THB 35 and I think the fee per km is THB 3.70 in Bangkok. 

So, from Jomtien bus-station (airport-shuttle) to TukCom will cost THB 35 + (3 x THB 3.70) = THB 46.10.........

The distances in Pattaya are just not long enough.

Charging THB 200 for this trip is ridiculous of course. 

I think that this is evidence that the money is running thin.There is a turn down in tourism.Not so many tourists in Walking st,tired of being ripped off by the Russians? This could be a sign of things to come.Thais turning on Thais,It cant get any better.I dont live in Patts anymore,i dont think that area of town is very safe anymore.

3 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I think that this is evidence that the money is running thin.There is a turn down in tourism.Not so many tourists in Walking st,tired of being ripped off by the Russians? This could be a sign of things to come.Thais turning on Thais,It cant get any better.I dont live in Patts anymore,i dont think that area of town is very safe anymore.

By all fairness, those kind of attacks happen anywhere where some money can be made.

Happened in Kuala Lumpur when the Taxi Mafia attacked the cars and drivers of UBER and GRAB, happens in Bali, when drivers of the crooked Taxi companies set cars of the only trusted company BLUEBIRD alight and physically attack their drivers, and it even happens in Europe

You don't get this sort of behaviour between rival pathology labs or precision engineering factories.

It is about time Thailand moved up the skills chain from having about 80% of the male workforce either claiming to or aspiring to be a "professional driver". There are simply too many of them. Go to any of the large public sector buildings around Bangkok and you will find many of these drivers just hanging around waiting all day for some kind of driving work that doesn't involve too much manual or mental effort.

I wonder if he had paid his monthly "licence" fee to the BIB.  That is 15k Bats in case anyone is interested.  I wonder if there is any correlation between the Pattaya top cop job requiring a huge fee, extra licence fees by the police and the local taxis not using meters, nah probably not, nothing to see here, move along.

Cheers

9 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

It's safe-I go there frequently.  WS is effectively 'family fun'.  When you say 'tired of being ripped off by Russians - What are you talking about? Then you say: ' Thais turning on Thais, it can't get any better. ' It sounds like blatant race hate poison to me from a damaged mind. 

5 minutes ago, The manic said:

Rather than offer new licences in Pattaya they should withdraw them all and enforce fair use and price regulations. 

Nice idea but not going to happen for decades. 

I recall negotiating a fare in Jomtiem and when I didn't agree the driver increased the offer.  WTH is all that about? 

6 hours ago, siam2007 said:

By all fairness, those kind of attacks happen anywhere where some money can be made.

Happened in Kuala Lumpur when the Taxi Mafia attacked the cars and drivers of UBER and GRAB, happens in Bali, when drivers of the crooked Taxi companies set cars of the only trusted company BLUEBIRD alight and physically attack their drivers, and it even happens in Europe

And it's, the first time I've ever heard of this, happening in WS or any where in Pattaya. 

Just now, bubblewrap said:

Nice idea but not going to happen for decades. 

I recall negotiating a fare in Jomtiem and when I didn't agree the driver increased the offer.  WTH is all that about? 

I remember when Bangkok drivers we're forced to use metres. It worked pretty well from zero metres and outrageous prices to 100% metre installation and 90% use. 

17 hours ago, The manic said:

It's safe-I go there frequently.  WS is effectively 'family fun'.  When you say 'tired of being ripped off by Russians - What are you talking about? Then you say: ' Thais turning on Thais, it can't get any better. ' It sounds like blatant race hate poison to me from a damaged mind. 

I always prefer truth to political correctness . Peace and love bro