Good replacement for true visions?

happyas

31 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

erm.. they get the feed from sky.. so its skys broadcast of the BBC.. 

Hence why theres sky discovery.. or sky fox news.. 

oh ok.. they might benefit from:

BBC1  (provided through Sky)  so as not to confuse simple folk like me  

thanks for clarification  

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Yeah ok.. well if reading a channel list is too complicated.. Maybe setting these TV boxes up and configuring kodi will present more problems than I assumed.. 

Probably best you buy a pre packaged service.

Good luck. 

Yea knew you would be insulting and just not 'get it' that BBC is nothing to do with Sky. Probably best you carry on living your self-righteous life  Mr.Perfect

• 5 weeks later...

O.K. Guys -  Let's keep it clean.....it's nice to have a conversation that doesn't develop into bitch slapping.

Sadly LannaGuy you are just not going to find anything suitable to your needs except Truevisions, which is as close as one can come to a decent service......unless like LivinLOS and some other friends of mine you are more tech savvy and willing to chase the internet for streaming services that suit you.

I've been wishing for something better than Truevisions for ten years and it just isn't out there.  Even with their cuts this year I haven't found a replacement.  The closest I got was USTVNow but you have to be a U.S. Citizen or in the U.S. Military to get it.....I qualified for it but again, it just didn't get the job done.  The do have a $200 a month service that would probably work well but I'm not that desperate yet.

I think the real problem is there just aren't enough Expats, or people who want alternative services in Thailand to warrant anything better/different than what we have now.

And I don't really think you have to be that much of a techno geek to set up an android/tv box these days.

The internet/you tube/Google  can provide all the information you need to do this.  It's how I learned about it and now I don't look back.

Apps like Kodi and Mobdro are great for all my movie and news needs. Extra bonus is no additional monthly charges to pay for...just the standard Internet fee.

It's worth the 'hassle' to learn about new technology sometimes...

There are probably many different makes & models of android boxes but i would suggest paying for a good one ie at least quadcore or even better octocore but at the end of they day it will make no difference if you have a rubbish internet connection , that is the main thing you need

I agree 100 percent. The internet connection is very important.  To find out what box to get...type into Google latest android box specs.

That will give you a good idea of what to look for. It will also help you when you go shopping...Everything shiny doesn't mean it's good!  CPU chips and operating systems do make a difference.

Once you've got a good Internet connection and purchased an android box, there are no subscription charges. Movies and media are free.

Kodi is very good for the latest movies. Mobdro is very good for English news and sport, and any other nationality really.

For the box expect to pay anywhere from 2000-5000 baht. The cream of the crop at the moment is Nvidia at around US $200 from Amazon.  But that's the top end.  

Look in Icon IT or Computer Plaza.  They are good places to start but decide what specs you want first. I'd advise to get the best you can afford as technology moves quickly.

My current box I'd running Kodi Titanium.... it's a great build but my box struggles sometimes. Android OS 4.4.2 is a bit old. In fact it's too old... I need a replacement box. The current one has served well for nearly 3 years. Can't complain at a 2500 baht outlay.

Shop around and save!

10 hours ago, thaiscot said:

There are probably many different makes & models of android boxes but i would suggest paying for a good one ie at least quadcore or even better octocore but at the end of they day it will make no difference if you have a rubbish internet connection , that is the main thing you need

Xiaomi Mi is great (tho only wifi not hardwired ethernet). 

Actual android Tv with the leanback launcher... A 4k Chromecast.. Good remote and 70 USD. 

Just be sure not the get the inferior / lower specced chinese model and buy the international version. 

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Xiaomi Mi is great (tho only wifi not hardwired ethernet). 

Actual android Tv with the leanback launcher... A 4k Chromecast.. Good remote and 70 USD. 

Just be sure not the get the inferior / lower specced chinese model and buy the international version. 

Yes I read up on the Xiaomi Mi box about 2 weeks ago.  Very good specs and at a reasonable price. I think the latest Mi box comes with Android 6.  Spotted one for sale on Lazada for 3900 baht.   But as you say you have to be careful and check the specs.  From the outside they all look the same.... a trick for 'young' players!

New Xiaomi box is 4600 on lazada now but looks good, I guess with a solid internet connection no subscription payments required? Plug it in and everything is there? If English sports  movies are readily available after setting it up this must be the best invention since torrents

Please be aware that the box must be near the TV. I ordered Pulse and a Neo X6 box but my connection is in my office outside the main house so freeze and lag. SINET came round and proved that Pulse works perfectly on my computer inside the house (preferably with a cable connection)

I mention it as it is not as obvious as it seems and I run online games without any issues and have 70mg download and 30mg upload.

4 minutes ago, johng said:

Do you mean the box needs to be close to the modem/router ?
I would go for a hard wired LAN connection for android box-modem as WiFi could get interference and cause buffering.

Yes - my router is in an outside office and I have another router inside the house for my computer. I get 70mg download everyday BUT this is Thailand based and PulseTV is Singapore. I am moving house this year and am wiring in a LAN to where the TV will be - hope this helps

Yes the android box needs to be near the TV as you plug an HDMI cable from the box to the TV.

In regards the internet connection, some can get away with just using WiFi but I always go with ethernet cable. It seems more stable.  In fact I have some friends that use both.... not sure if that is likely to cause conflicts but if it works for them then great.

5 hours ago, markcm19 said:

New Xiaomi box is 4600 on lazada now but looks good, I guess with a solid internet connection no subscription payments required? Plug it in and everything is there? If English sports  movies are readily available after setting it up this must be the best invention since torrents

There are 3 ads for this brand of box on Lazada. The 3900 baht and 4600 baht are the same specs. The cheaper box at 1798baht is the older spec box and is pretty well past its use by date.

It doesnt state if the apps are loaded but even if they are not it is easy enough to do via Google Play.  Nothing to be scared of really.

Edited by CMKiwi
corrected spelling mistake

O.K. Guys -  Let's keep it clean.....it's nice to have a conversation that doesn't develop into bitch slapping.

Sadly LannaGuy you are just not going to find anything suitable to your needs except Truevisions, which is as close as one can come to a decent service......unless like LivinLOS and some other friends of mine you are more tech savvy and willing to chase the internet for streaming services that suit you.

I've been wishing for something better than Truevisions for ten years and it just isn't out there.  Even with their cuts this year I haven't found a replacement.  The closest I got was USTVNow but you have to be a U.S. Citizen or in the U.S. Military to get it.....I qualified for it but again, it just didn't get the job done.  The do have a $200 a month service that would probably work well but I'm not that desperate yet.

I think the real problem is there just aren't enough Expats, or people who want alternative services in Thailand to warrant anything better/different than what we have now.