Aircon verses Underfloor cooling

William C F Pierce

6 hours ago, Naam said:

absorbing heat energy cannot be called radia*.*! case closed, ignorants still allowed to use radiant, radiate, etc. :smile:

Naam, you're missing the point! Everything is possible in the world of advertising. Who needs reality-based facts in a post-truth word?

As pure dilithium circulates through these conduits we might as well speak of quantum radiation. :shock1:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When not in thailand I live in Alaska and have installed in floor heat. Best form of heating!!!

In floor cooling I'm gone try it. Here is my base story with one question.

I have built a home of Q-con or super block, whatever same same haha

Now I want to tile all the qQ-con walls. Anyone have info on that?

Do I stucco first? WHAT PRODUCT SHOULD BE USED FOR STUCKO? What should we use for attachment of the Tile? - regular mortar????

Tnks for any info in advance.

I used the 20cm x 20cm x 60c block But if doing again I'd use 2 - 7.5cm with air gap aproxamatly 5cm and turn one flat about every 4 courses CHEEPER!

Used this technique on my 3rd floor. Worked great

The big ones cost me 74 Baht each and the thiner ones are about 20 Baht each. still end with about R-8 wall. For about 1/3 less

The freestanding walls are 4.5m high

The second floor is on pillars disconnected from the walls by 8" and the 3rd floor is on the central pillars about 5m x 7m and the roof slopes from that.

But then I had 4" (10cm) of Spray foam applied to the walls inside and built a thai block wall about 10cm out from the foam, with PEX tubing in the gap. - also in the ground floor slab and the 2nd floor slab

Then filled the gap with concrete around the tubing. So now the 2nd floor is attached to the inner wall, With thai brick below and above.

Drilled 4 wells 6" - couldn't find a rotary drill rig here so only 30m deep. Water temp 79-80 F - 26-27 C

Used a remote swimming pool temperature sensor to measure at the bottom.

This tubing will carry ground water (About 80 Farenhite 27 Celsius in my area 100' or 30M down) Average Air temp my area 120 F - 50 C 

Det Udom Ubonratchathane

Ok right now 27-30 but summertime 45-50 in the shade more times then not.

My thinking was what Temp I needed to work against.

Sorry for not being more specific.

For my roof I used two layers separated by the 3" x 3" steel square tube. Second sheet applied from inside building. There is air flow between the sheets of SunTie Galvanized roofing because of the Raised crimping the steel sheet. Air goes in behind the gutters and out around the 3rd floor which is a sun deck. Or was as I've now put a roof over it.

Then in the house I had 6" of Urethane Foam applied to the inner sheet of steel on the roof.

I took a thermo meter to the outer and inner sheet. Before application of foam.

Outer read 179 F - Inner 161 F

I did have a 2' Concrete Culvert berried below the 60cm x 1m footings from my Patio to the back of the shop to build an air to air heat exchanger. 9.7m center to center of the 90 uprights.

I will put 14 - 4" aluminum dryer vent pipes in this culvert for the Ingoing Air with the outgoing air exiting around them. This will be next years project.

This should also work as a dehumidifier - If not I'll add what is needed.

So internal should be 28C year round.

If I want cooler I'll use AirCon but should be cheeper then trying to cool a Thai built home.

Even without doors and windows in place, building is quite a bit cooler.

If She doesn't like it I'll shut it off. The walls and ceiling of 1st floor should do the trick.

But really 26 C water will only take floor to 27 C The floors in her house are that right now in January. I don't think it will be that much of a problum. You only run the system 1 degree C lower then what you want. The water out of the ground is 26 C here so perfect. AND I lay on it and she dose also because it is cool.

I will run small AC to dehumidify because you must take the water out of the air.

But the cost should be much less.

I think many people are hung up on the floor needing to be very cold and I don't think that is the case. But we shall see. System will not be up and running till next year.

I have to go back home and work.

I will keep you posted.

Archived