Kiwis marrying Thai in Thailand

drgoon

drgoon ... I assume you're asking about the formal marriage process in Thailand, as against the "ups and downs" of life after you've married a Thai girl ?

The New Zealand Embassy in Bangkok website has a detailed list of docs and procedures required. If you follow their instructions, you will have no problems. It's really quite straightforward, albeit a little bit of running around involved.

Every expat that's married a Thai girl in LOS has gone through the same formal procedure, using their own Embassies of course. So it's not that difficult.

If you want to know what it's actually like to be married to a Thai girl .... then it's an amazing cultural rollercoaster. Every expat will have their own opinions on this topic.  

Cheers ... and good luck  :thumbsup:

Edited by electric

17 hours ago, electric said:

drgoon ... I assume you're asking about the formal marriage process in Thailand, as against the "ups and downs" of life after you've married a Thai girl ?

The New Zealand Embassy in Bangkok website has a detailed list of docs and procedures required. If you follow their instructions, you will have no problems. It's really quite straightforward, albeit a little bit of running around involved.

Every expat that's married a Thai girl in LOS has gone through the same formal procedure, using their own Embassies of course. So it's not that difficult.

If you want to know what it's actually like to be married to a Thai girl .... then it's an amazing cultural rollercoaster. Every expat will have their own opinions on this topic.  

Cheers ... and good luck  :thumbsup:

Yes you are right.

We have been living together in NZ for a couple of years with extended holidays in Thailand with the family.

We were going to do the marriage application ourselves but with all the confusing info on different forums thought we may employ professional help. Seems a lot less hassle at times.

You are right about living with a Thai woman. Can be quite infuriating lol. Getting past the 'up to you' and having a discussion about issues was a mission.

Thanks for the tip about the NZ Embassy

Edited by drgoon

drgoon ... no worries. My pleasure to pass on some first hand real info.

My girlfriend and I were together for 4 years, living in LOS, before we took the plunge and tied the knot 12 months ago, in Thailand.

In Thailand, you must get ALL the paperwork officially in order before you can hold a marriage ceremony. The ceremony can be a simple registration at your local Amphur, or a big bash involving all the rellies and freeloaders at any location in Thailand that you choose. If you choose "the big bash" ceremony, you'll still need to visit your local Amphur afterwards to legally register the marriage.

IMHO, the paperwork required can easily be done by yourself, with your girlfriend tagging along. There are many Agents who can do this for you, for a price, but it's really very straightforward, starting at the NZ Embassy Bangkok.  We chose to do it ourselves, and I'm glad we did, even though it required a lot of patience and a bit of running around in BKK.

We'll carry those memories forever. If you use an Agent, you'll have no idea of what that process really involved.

ALL the paperwork is done in BKK. You'll need 2-3 days in BKK. Takes that long for your paperwork to be certified by Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Consular Section. You can then take this completed and certified paperwork anywhere in Thailand you want, to hold your real marriage ceremony.

Forget exactly how much the total cost was for all the different docs and procedures, but I'm pretty sure it was not more than around 4000 baht. (NZ Embassy, translations, copies, MFA)

As I said previously, follow the instructions on NZ Embassy Bangkok website. No probs.

Cheers